Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

Question on this new grip:

Is it going to be simply plug and play, ie swap the grip out and you are good to go to assign buttons directly in game? Or will there be an elaborate change process that would need to be done by the user in the software or firmware?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question on this new grip:

Is it going to be simply plug and play, ie swap the grip out and you are good to go to assign buttons directly in game? Or will there be an elaborate change process that would need to be done by the user in the software or firmware?

According to VKB HQ, a) a firmware update is needed for the controller you're using, and b) a profile has to be loaded to enable all the button and switches for the MCG. Loading profiles is easily from the VKBdevCfg interface, updating the firmware is requires the additional step of running the bootloader once.

Another step might be to switch between analog or digital mode for the hat switches for slew control (etc), but that is likely going to be a toggle option within the VKBdevCfg

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

According to VKB HQ, a) a firmware update is needed for the controller you're using, and b) a profile has to be loaded to enable all the button and switches for the MCG. Loading profiles is easily from the VKBdevCfg interface, updating the firmware is requires the additional step of running the bootloader once.

Another step might be to switch between analog or digital mode for the hat switches for slew control (etc), but that is likely going to be a toggle option within the VKBdevCfg

Ok thanks for the info.

I have read of others struggling somewhat with the VKB software when trying to make changes, so was a little concerned. Hopefully with the Gunfighter maybe it will be easier...

So if I understand correctly:

The Gunfighter is available to pre-order currently?

The new grip maybe in a couple months?

Thanks,

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok thanks for the info.

I have read of others struggling somewhat with the VKB software when trying to make changes, so was a little concerned. Hopefully with the Gunfighter maybe it will be easier...

So if I understand correctly:

The Gunfighter is available to pre-order currently?

The new grip maybe in a couple months?

Thanks,

Gunfighter can be ordered now (shipping still slated for March), and MCG ordering starts on April 30 (tentatively).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

which would be better?

gladiator pro mk2 + mcg 245 + 99 = 344 usd (it means 2 grips and base buttons as well)

gunfighter base + mcg 259 + 99 = 368 usd (better and durable mechanism??)

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

which would be better?

gladiator pro mk2 + mcg 245 + 99 = 344 usd (it means 2 grips and base buttons as well)

Well, the Gladiator Pro Mk.II uses the older gimbal known from the Mamba Mk.III, and has a plastic housing assembly.

The Gunfighter's housing is all metal and would thus allow the use of an extension. It also has the very latest VKB all-metal gimbal with dry clutches to adjust friction of the stick movement.

So - your choice! :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Gunfighter can be ordered now (shipping still slated for March), and MCG ordering starts on April 30 (tentatively).

Thanks much! I will likely place an order here in the next few days. I would almost rather wait till the grip is available, as I would likely not use the stick until then- but don't want to take a chance on the Gunfighter not being available at that time.

Don B

Thanks much! I will likely place an order here in the next few days. I would almost rather wait till the grip is available, as I would likely not use the stick until then- but don't want to take a chance on the Gunfighter not being available at that time.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I am about 70 Gunfighter orders (regardless of variant) away from having to close ordering until another production run by VKB HQ is announced.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I am about 70 Gunfighter orders (regardless of variant) away from having to close ordering until another production run by VKB HQ is announced.

10/4 , thanks for the heads up.

Don B

is available some pinout info of the grips? I want to use the new grip with a MS FFB2 and an arduino, thanks

You might be better of asking this on the official VKB forums where the engineers and developers lurk: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewforum.php?f=25 :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

:thumbup:

Ok one Gunfighter has now been ordered!

They better come through with this grip :)

Don B

According to the envisioned production numbers, VKB is taking the MCG grip (and its success) very serious!

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

According to the envisioned production numbers, VKB is taking the MCG grip (and its success) very serious!

Sounds great, really looking forward to trying out this new setup and hopefully finally retiring my Warthog joystick.

If it were not for this new grip offering, I would not have ordered...

Don B

which would be better?

Depends on your objective and way to use joystick.

Gladiator is a "desktop joystick," for ones that want a compact joystick in front monitor and handle base buttons/throttle with left hand.

Gunfighter - besides more advanced gimbal "dry clutch" - is a "cockpit" joystick, can be placed on side, in middle, use extension (Gladiator plastic base is not designed for this).

gladiator pro mk2 + mcg 245 + 99 = 344 usd

In IL-2.ru UIV(VKB) say that will be available Gladiator PRO "gripless" base for ~180$ (probable price for Russian market) making the desktop MCP more affordable.

IMO - For "kosmosimov" market there's place for a more affordable "Gladiator MCG" - Gladiator "vanilla" with MCP grip by default from factory (~140/160$).

Edited by Sokol1_br

Sounds great, really looking forward to trying out this new setup and hopefully finally retiring my Warthog joystick.

If it were not for this new grip offering, I would not have ordered...

That's good to know!

VKB is a small team of dedicated engineers, and they have a really impressive vision and a lot of good ideas lined up. Because of that, it takes a lot of time for things to come to fruition, but once they do, it's usually worth the wait. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I like it and the price is pretty competitive to the similar Virpil grip. BUT, there is one problem with it - it lacks the pinkie button on the bottom of the stick which pretty much all of the flight-sim HOTAS grips have and I presume is commonly used as a shift button.

Too bad the design wasn't presented earlier to collect some feedback.

Based on Reddit post the "pinky" switch will be added, and more 2 buttons (the 2 way switch on index will be 4 - like in F-35). :thumbup:

Ahem, amazing how news always ends up on Reddit, then then becomes the "source" of that news. ;)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Ahem, amazing how news always ends up on Reddit, then then becomes the "source" of that news. ;)

Ah, yes. Sorry if I was spreading (or at least, reinforcing) misinformation. By "source" I should have clarified I meant "source of Sokol1's comment". But will delete my post if it is misleading in any case.

Ah, yes. Sorry if I was spreading (or at least, reinforcing) misinformation. By "source" I should have clarified I meant "source of Sokol1's comment". But will delete my post if it is misleading in any case.

No, no worries! Just mild banter on my part. :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com