TrackIR tips

Hi.

Two days ago i got my trackir, tried to adjust it for FSX and DCS, for FSX it seems much harder... but not yet there in DCS either... I'd like some information how you use it in DCS..

Do you have strong curvatures in yaw/pitch? Will it be easier to adapt on steady-ish curvature with high-ish sensivity? Somehow i couldn't imagine using my mouse if the acceleration was progressive on it. Will that apply with trackir?

How about deadzones? You use it? You needed to use it at first? How about pause?

Over all sensivity, how much (approx) you turn your head for full movements?

Hi,

Got snipped by Golani !

I wanted to share the same link !

:D

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, Intel Core i7-2600K (3.4 GHz), Corsair Vengeance 2x4096 Mo DDR3 1866 MHz, SSD 120 Go Vertex 2, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4Go (04G-P4-2978-KR), TM HOTAS Warthog #03797 (MB replaced), Saitek Combat Pro Rudder, TrackIR 5, TM Cougar MFDs with Lilliput 8" UM 80

Yeah thanks. i've actually watched that video. and many others. I am pretty much aware what every slider and setting do in trackir, but i'd like to know how people actually use it in terms of sensivity and deadzone and turn progression...

I've tried fast, linear, slow, progressive, with and without deadzone, but neither feels perfect ... i thinki should just use one and get used to it... but i'd like to hear what are your settings (i don't need profiles, just tell me are you using pause/deadzone and roughly how sensitive are your movements)....

thanks!

Be gentle with it, or it will end up looking like mine!

attachment.php?attachmentid=113265&stc=1&d=1424350859

seriously mine has been held together with duck-tape for years (the plastic on the joint always snaps)

Now the wiring has decided to breakup and burn out.

It is all fixable, I have definitely got the use out of my soldiering iron over all the years I have been flight simming!

IMG_20150218_192447-2.thumb.jpg.98b9c842eeb2d5cb7a0f748bdd727d79.jpg

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Be gentle with it, or it will end up looking like mine!

attachment.php?attachmentid=113265&stc=1&d=1424350859

seriously mine has been held together with duck-tape for years (the plastic on the joint always snaps)

Now the wiring has decided to breakup and burn out.

It is all fixable, I have definitely got the use out of my soldiering iron over all the years I have been flight simming!

OH MAN! thats a bad case of road rage there! I would have opted to run my fist through my monitor before recking my TrackIR,, LOL,,,, thats sux man!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I am only using the trackclip reflector thingie... is the pro clip *much* better?

If you can control the ambient light it really makes no difference at all, i too use the reflector (ziptied to my headphones).

Its advantage is that you can set the sensitivity lower since the Pro outputs a lot more light than the reflectors bounce back, so ambient light doesn't affect it as much.

I've also found the Pro to be worse at pitch movements (cuts out sooner) than the regular one, which in turn gives you less yaw range.

tl;dr keep using if it works for you, tracking quality is the same.

tl;dr keep using if it works for you, tracking quality is the same.

In the camera view, it seems to work fine. the track clip. Occasionally, a beer can :music_whistling: makes a brief red dot but it seems to filter it out. But especially when i use higher yaw angles, and, in my mind, the head is still, the trackir slowly moves back towards center.. for a while.

I use One:One with custom adjustments on the curves.

Speed: 0.8 and Smoothness: 30

I think it just needs some time to get used to it.

Ok! No deadzones, no pausing frequently?

Alfredson007,

I join you my TrackIR profil.

It has speed = 50 and smoothness = 0.3 (Golani must have exchanged values...).

You didn't tell us what kind of aircraft you were flying with, but my profil should fit with any of them (in my case : A-10C, F-15 & Su-27).

Hope you like it and don't hesitate to modify it to your likings

Cheers

Laurius

PS : My profil is in lua format. Please use Notepad++ to edit it and save it under .xml format in the Natural Point folder. Hoping that helps you

Laurius_A-10C.lua

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, Intel Core i7-2600K (3.4 GHz), Corsair Vengeance 2x4096 Mo DDR3 1866 MHz, SSD 120 Go Vertex 2, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4Go (04G-P4-2978-KR), TM HOTAS Warthog #03797 (MB replaced), Saitek Combat Pro Rudder, TrackIR 5, TM Cougar MFDs with Lilliput 8" UM 80

Check this link to my TrackIR profile for DCSW. It's a few years old but I still use it.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3171177/DCS_A10C_Warthog_--_A_TrackIR_#Post3171177

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Part of the problem with the hat clip is that the reflective surfaces are not designed to support 6-dof, at least not well. If they were partial spheres, instead of just curved in one plane, they would be much more effective.

With minimal outside lighting, the hat clip works quite well as long as you don't tilt your head forward/backward.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

you did not mention which trackIR, 4 or 5. Because reportedly, 5 has a larger viewing cone compared to 4. I have 4 and also, my pro snapped at the joint but I glued it back on. I am patiently waiting for the Oculus Rift CR to come out. This will be a game changer and will truly augment this sim.

Back on topic, yes Gerry Abbots video is the go to guide for DCS, but you may want to first get ergonomics right, because this happened with me and now I'm paying for it, be sure you are seated comfortably and in straddle with your simming gear. If you are using a desktop, be sure to have your neck lower than the top of the display, and not the opposite where you are tilting your head back.

Also, if you use HOTAS, make sure it is ergonomically placed so you don't over reach or curve your back to reach controls on a desk with rudder.

For trackIR, its best to just make all curves above (Fast) curve template and then tone down speed and increase smoothness. This is what works for me. Others may recommend the opposite. So there is no "one size fits all" solution. Your best bet is to experiment observing ergonomics as a priority.

Happy simming and welcome to DCS World.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Check this link to my TrackIR profile for DCSW. It's a few years old but I still use it.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3171177/DCS_A10C_Warthog_--_A_TrackIR_#Post3171177

WC

That profile seems to be pretty good! i slightly tuned it and tried, wow my hands are still shaking! But there still is a bit unsmooth effect especially when i try to look first behind me then scan the sky up towards front....

btw.... do you use headmovement in g forces -setting on or off? i had it on now, but i just took it off for next test.