Framte stutter with DCS World.

Hey guys,

I just got my new rig (horray!) and all my games run beautifully at settings I could only have dreamed of before. My only problem atm is DCS, unsurprisingly.

My FPS is fairly stable in the mid 40's with occasional peaks of 60 (vsync enabled) on high settings all round (apart from heat blur which is a fps killer for me). Only issue is I'm getting SEVERE frame stuttering and it's very noticeable. With the in-game FPS counter enabled I'm going from the likes of 30-60 fps on alternate frames. Reducing in game graphics settings has no impact, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the current drivers? Or is there a config fix somewhere for this issue?

I'm running a GTX970 4Gb with the latest Nvidia drivers. Any help with this would be very much appreciated, makes spotting targets really impossible with the ground textures stuttering all over the place.

EDIT: Just realised I could have posted this in the DCS world subforums, mods feel free to move :).

Edited by 159th_LoneWolf

I can give you some hints that might help with that.

First go into M/B BIOS and look for PCI latency setting, I think it should be 64 by default. Try setting it to 32, ans alsoni BIOS settings, if you also have some power setting for PCI-e (graphics card) bus, disable it.

I have had stuttering also even though my fps was decent (could be in 30's or 40's) but it looked like it had very noticeable stuttering, I was trying to figure out why, and thought it has to do with PCI latencies, so I thought raising it more would help, but then I read that its better to lower it (I know PCI lanes are not for video card ut I thought maybe some oter device didn't have enough time on PCI bus so I raised it) and that real time data like sound and video is better to lower it so now I keep it at 32. Then I also noticed my BIOS has this setting to enable some power saving or something for PCI-e lanes... and I never thought of it could be doing it (and it's enabled by default on my m/b) and recently I disabled this option and now (at least in testers version) its actually smoother.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

Lonewolf could you post some of your specs please? CPU, RAM, MB etc.?

Funny thing is, I had a slowdown and stuttering issue that I managed to solve by simply taking off and cleaning out my CPU cooler and vent from a layer of dust. It really could be as simple as that really...

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Hey here are some more detailed system specs. Taken from CPU-Z...

Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS (MS-7885)

CPU: Intel i7 5820K Haswell-E six core

RAM: 16GB Quad channel DDR4-2133Mhz

GPU: Nvidia GTX970 4GB

Hope that helps, and thank you Kuky it would mean a lot if it could help solve the stuttering :).

maybe you have hyperthreading turned on, maybe that's causing it, ive had issues in many games because of hyperthreading.

In this video (1:21min) I see there is PCI Subsystem Settings (for PCI/PCI-E settings), also you have Power Management Setup page, some power saving features can cause stuttering also. So that's where I'd look to try change some settings (depending what there is to adjust)

No longer active in DCS...

Make sure you have Mirrors turned off, i'm getting massive stutter depending on what objects are visible in the mirrors.

Even though the fps counter still shows 50+ it's unplayable. Turning off mirrors fixed it.

turning mirrors off reduced stutter or completely removed stutter?

Make sure you have Mirrors turned off, i'm getting massive stutter depending on what objects are visible in the mirrors.

Even though the fps counter still shows 50+ it's unplayable. Turning off mirrors fixed it.

Very good point! Mirrors and (in most cases) cockpit illumination generates stutters for me, too.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com