TPOD through the clouds

max22

So I just visited Hoggit GAW server, and the setup was rain and the sky covered with clouds.

Went high, and to my surprise the targeting pod could't see the ground, meaning it didn't see through the clouds.

How can that be ? No IR tracker in tpod ?

Payload was jsow, no laser needed.

So I just visited Hoggit GAW server, and the setup was rain and the sky covered with clouds.

Went high, and to my surprise the targeting pod could't see the ground, meaning it didn't see through the clouds.

How can that be ? No IR tracker in tpod ?

Payload was jsow, no laser needed.

IR can't look thru clouds. Is anything else than radar capable of that? Litening doesn't have radar though.

Radar is only thing that can penetrate clouds, smoke etc.

True story.

RADAR can see through clouds because the wavelengths are much shorter than visible light. When we get the ground radar in the Hornet it will open up more tactical opportunities to employ weapons.

Edited by Mule

RADAR can see through clouds because the wavelengths are much shorter than visible light.

I'm nitpicking, but: longer, not shorter. At X-band frequencies (8-12GHz) the wavelength is 4-5 orders of magnitude longer than that of visible light (~350-750nm).

In fact, water is only really transparent to visible light. If this seems weird, remember that your eye balls are full of water.

Edit: Radars are way off the chart to the right (centimeters or even meters).

350px-Absorption_spectrum_of_liquid_water.png

Edited by Preendog

True story.

RADAR can see through clouds because the wavelengths are much shorter than visible light. When we get the ground radar in the Hornet it will open up more tactical opportunities to employ weapons.

LONGER than visible light...

electromagneticspectrum.jpg?resize=1024%2C454&ssl=1

<--- Shorter Longer ----->

And actually Thermal imagers can "sort-of" see through clouds or fog, they can certainly see farther than the visible spectrum, however most cloud layers are too thick to see through.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Nah you're wrong my statement is true.

A SUBS17 protege eh...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

In fact, water is only really transparent to visible light. If this seems weird, remember that your eye balls are full of water.

Edit: Radars are way off the chart to the right (centimeters or even meters).

350px-Absorption_spectrum_of_liquid_water.png

That is true but we don't have a"Water TGP" given the context of what we are talking about.

I have no idea why you have been triggered by my original statement and fact "RADAR can see through clouds because the wavelengths are much shorter than visible light"

Because they are not shorter, they are longer, as has been pointed out. So while you’re correct that RADAR can see through cloud, you are incorrect in your statement that it’s because the wavelengths are shorter.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Because they are not shorter, they are longer, as has been pointed out. So while you’re correct that RADAR can see through cloud, you are incorrect in your statement that it’s because the wavelengths are shorter.

Some radars can see through clouds. I stand corrected. I was wrong.

Edited by Mule