How do you learn to fly new aircraft?

surfcandy

Divide the task into smaller items:

First, start a free flight mission and use it to configure your controls setup .. start with just the pitch, roll, rudder and throttle axes, then start flying and getting a feel for how to handle the aircrafts, turning without losing altitude, steady climbs, descents, explore the low speed regime, etc.

While still using the free flight mission, start binding more controls to your hotas: speedbrake, flaps, wingsweep, spoilers ... once complete and tested, then start with the provided training missions: at the very least the cold start, taxi, take off and finish with the airfield landing.

Once you are able to fly the aircraft well from land bases, perform the shipborne training missions.

Afterwards, learn how to use one weapon at a time .. you will need to also learn how to use Jester ... read the manual only as needed for the task at hand ... no need to read the whole manual at once.

That should get you going with the Tomcat :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Build a foundation of aviation knowledge. Generally the core aviation systems in any aircraft are going to have a lot of commonalities with each other. These are things like airspeed, altitude, attitude, and fuel indicators. It's just a matter of finding where and how these things are implemented in the aircraft you're trying to learn. Where are the radios? Gear and flaps? If you find and understand all the core aviation systems in the aircraft then you're just left with the aircraft specific systems to learn. This will take some reading or videos, or however you prefer to learn. The exception to this is when aircraft's have similar systems allowing you to feel your way around some things based on your experience in other aircraft. This would be like the mfd's and ufc in the hornet and harrier, very similar.

I'm not sure I'm doing the greatest job explaining it, but the short of it is: Learn the basics, and how they apply to all aircraft, thus cutting out a large part of the learning process for subsequent aircraft.

There are training missions. Tutorial videos all over YouTube. But yes reading the flight manual is pretty essential. Like any learning process it helps to repeat and involve yourself with different media, a combination of reading, watching, doing etc. Combine passive and active sessions.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

My flow has always been something like this:

1. Skim through the manual. Look at where important things are in the cockpit or on the HUD. Look for takeoff/landing speeds (if applicable), and any possible aerodynamic quirks that I might need to avoid.

2. Fire it up for a joy ride, get a feel for it.

3. Try more specific maneuvers.

4. Move on to carrier landings (if applicable).

5. Consult manual if anything goes wrong or gets confusing.

6. Consult the community if the manual doesn't answer my question.

Then I move on to weapons.

1. Skim through the manual on how to employ the weapons.

2. Try them out on non-maneuvering targets a few times.

3. Consult the manual if anything goes wrong or gets confusing.

4. Consult the community if the manual doesn't answer my question.

And that's about it. One chunk at a time.

Learn to taxi, then to take off, then to land, then to fire the simplest weapon, then progressively more complicated ones ( which will usually involve learning avionics in chunks too ), then navigation and then finally defensive systems now you can find your way to a fight. Then you need to learn to fly it properly, which isn't in the manual...

But as everyone said, a bit at a time.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Do you REALLY read 300+ pages of the PDF (F-14)?

Yes,

You like study level flight simulators, you like reading :megalol: You bought that 300+ page manual. Enjoy it :book:

How do you do it?
Your module is the laboratory. Read something in the manual, try it in DCS. :smartass:I suggest having a cold aircraft in the simulator as you read through the startup procedure. Yes you can watch YouTube tutorials, but really that should supplement your own self directed study and practice.

How can you absorb all that information?
Reading and Doing! Learning to competently operate the aircraft is a major gameplay element.

Or do most people just view a few videos and off they go.
Most people just do that.:pilotfly:

How do you do it? Do you REALLY read 300+ pages of the PDF (F-14)? How can you absorb all that information? Or do most people just view a few videos and off they go.

Could be worse - you could be faced with the 671 page A-10C manual :book:

But yeah the guys above have covered it, just pretty much take the same route real military pilots do and start small with the basics, (although in the military you spend a few months studying the books and passing emergency actions in the sim before you even touch the aircraft, but that's no fun lol).

Basic handling, circuits and landings etc, or 'flying the aircraft'...then once you can handle the aircraft without having to 'think' about it you can move on to operating the weapons systems etc, or 'fighting the aircraft'.

But hey lets be honest here - you are gonna do one take off and landing...then want to see stuff go BOOM! :thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why does everyone mention how you really need to read the manual to be able to fly the aircraft?

Just skip reading it and play the interactive training missions instead, with most modules they are really great and will teach you everything you need to know about correctly starting up, taking off, flying and landing, and even some of the aircraft's systems, if you really want to go in depth in some of the systems and switches and other procedures, then you can start reading some pages of the manual, but this is only once you've learnt how to fly the aircraft effectively and want to go a tad bit further. You must remember that because the training missions are interactive, they will make it much easier to assimilate everything that was said and so you'll learn much quicker than reading the manual and trying out the buttons and switches afterwards, also it's gonna be a lot less boring.

Interactive training missions first, then the manual.

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

For me the manual is the reference when you run into something where you need detailed knowledge of how things work, like how to set up the weapons correctly, takeoff/landing speeds and other procedure stuff like that.

With a new module, I usually start it up in free flight first to get the basic bindings done, throttle, stick, pedals all that stuff. Then fly around for a bit to get a feel for the plane.

After that, I usually start digging into doing some takeoff and landings.

Usually I will start working my way through the training sessions that might ship with the module.

If there are no training missions available on early access launch for the module, then these days with we are in a situation with DCS where most modules are "handed out" to flight celebrities on youtube where they will show off the systems and procedures before the module is actually released to the public (usually as early access), so these videos are always available for reference if need be.

Once all the basics are squared away for the module, I start digging into the advanced stuff, or the things that makes that particular module special. This is where the manual comes in handy to really understand how it works.

A personal peeve of mine is to learn how to start up the module manually. Just sit with the checklist and start it up a good handful of times and then slowly put the checklist away and start it up from memory and if I can't remember a step I just quickly look at the checklist.

I know that quickstart is often available for every module, but I really like starting up a module manually as a litle show of skill and besides you never know when ED is going to break the autostart sequence for a module. :P

Why does everyone mention how you really need to read the manual to be able to fly the aircraft?

Just skip reading it and play the interactive training missions instead, with most modules they are really great and will teach you everything you need to know about correctly starting up, taking off, flying and landing, and even some of the aircraft's systems, if you really want to go in depth in some of the systems and switches and other procedures, then you can start reading some pages of the manual, but this is only once you've learnt how to fly the aircraft effectively and want to go a tad bit further. You must remember that because the training missions are interactive, they will make it much easier to assimilate everything that was said and so you'll learn much quicker than reading the manual and trying out the buttons and switches afterwards, also it's gonna be a lot less boring.

Interactive training missions first, then the manual.

I think a lot of this depends on whether or not the user has any experience with just, flying.

It strikes me that at least some folks here haven’t even tried a civil sim of any kind (and certainly aren’t pilots IRL) but they want to be a DCS Ace Of The Base overnight and that’s a very tall order.

Therefore, “Baby Steps” isn’t a bad suggestion.

I know I’d have given up a long time ago without having a solid understanding of the basics of flight BEFORE trying anything combat related.

1) Learn To Fly

2) Learn To Navigate

3) Learn To Communicate

4) Learn To Fight

These four apply to every module...

5) Learn To Be The Best In The <insert aircraft here> You Can Be!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

As others mentioned, take it slow. Do not try to memorise hundreds of pages of technical trivia.

Start with basic functionality like engine start up procs, instrument and handling familiarisation. I usually perform a large number of takeoffs/landings before moving to aerobatic performance. After that learn basic dumb weapons usage, gradually working up to guided weapons whether PGMs or AAMs. Then put out some targets that shoot back. Use the manual on a subject by subject basis as you progress.

Personally, I estimate about 30 hours to achieve ''basic competence'' and about 100 hours to become ''proficient''. After that you are working on finesse.

It's like a new lover. Take your time and get to know each other's preferences ;)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Divide the task into smaller items: [...]

That's exactly what I do as well. If I am really interested, I'll read the NATOPS and some interviews with RL pilots who flew the thing.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

As others have said. Break it up into managable pieces.

For me I'll usually step through the following process. Mostly by going through a combination of the in game tutorials, youtube, Chucks guides. Well before I hit the manual for fine tuning. Additionally in regards to Chucks guides, they are brilliant for jumping straight in and as a reference later on. ED and the third party developers should be paying him so they can ship his guides with their modules.

On first session I'll usually hit up:

1. Initial controls setup (I usually try and get a 1:1 match with the real aircrafts HOTAS setup) Figure out quirks for basic universal features such as flaps, taxiing and airbreaks.

2. Aircraft startup procedures - I usually make a habit of trying to do cold and dark starts as much as possible.

3. Radios

4. Navigation Equipment inc. Autopilot

5. Testing skills learned by throwing a mission together to test startups, navigation, comms, refueling, takeoffs and landings.

The above tend to be universal, it's just learning where the knobs and switches are placed and any idiosyncracies. Get some of these out of the way before moving onto the more fun stuff.

6. More critical misc systems such as Countermeasures and Radar

7. By this point I'll start iterating through weapons systems. I'll try one type of system with one type of delivery method at a time, usually the ones most relevent to my interests first. Get the basics out the way.

8. Once I'm comfortable with general use I'll start probing into more advanced systems such as the additional MFD content, advanced weapon delivery, waypoint management etc...

But... that's the method that works for me. If you want to get started slinging weapons at targets you can skip a few of the above. Step 1. is always critical but you can always find a quick youtube video for getting your nose pointed in the right direction and how to get stuff off the rails. Break it down, figure out what's relevent to you. You want to do online? Spend a little time on your radios for SRS. SRS Should also be shipped with DCS as a default.

I think the key word here is simulation.

If it was just a game then no I probably wouldn’t bother, but when you pay a substantial amount for a module because it is a simulation then yes I’ll read it all and refer back to it when I have questions.

It’s not just the manual either, I’ll read as much as I can get my hands on (books by pilots of specific aircraft, NATOPs manuals etc), absorb any information given on these forums, and watch documentaries.

I think a lot of us here are in the minority mind you. Having done a fair amount of online carrier based stuff the number of people who do proper case recoveries are very much in the minority.

I just can’t understand spending so much on all the gear and modules and not wanting to do it properly

If this question is about learning technique then I can't disagree with an iterative approach, taking parts out and learning each, light skims turning into deep dives.

If the question is about effectiveness in learning, you need to know your own mind and how you work. A kinaesthetic learner will jump right in, the visual ones look at videos and the readers read. and most of us do the combinations. There is also social learning, which helps, jumping on with a friend and teaching each other and working through it faster. There is no one size fits all. The most important tool I personally have is experience of simulators, oddly enough and I fall back on that every time and have no issues picking planes up fast.

If the question is about how to learn a module fast, then it's not a great question because it implies cutting corners, being inefficient and aiming for a very specific 'goal'. I don't believe you can ever say you've learned everything you can about a module, most people will have their own goal in mind, be it passing a required test, certain procedures or "scores". Additionally, actually performing on the module, even if you know it really well, is quite tough. I'm really having problems to be consistent in carrier landing the F-14B against the MOOSE Airboss script score. I know i'd have to trap every day to get better but I'm limited for time.

But there isn't a short cut silver bullet method. Learning complex things will involved a certain amount of background baseline context knowledge, (fly one, the next is easier), Repetition on process: Perform step guided, repeat until unguided, teach someone else. Review of material, read, watch,listen and ... practice.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

i literally just join the hardest multiplayer server I can find, usually ddcs, and watch youtube videos at the same time. After that I do a trial by fire. That's one way to learn a new aircraft quickly

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Great responses and very helpful. I enjoy flight sims and have been flying flight simulators for years but have shied away from DCS because the manual reading was waaay to complicated to not only read but actually understand it all and be able to put it into practice a day or a month later if I remembered what I read (I got tired of reading two pages ...old timer I guess)

I think there are very devoted individuals who do read it all every page and understand it all through the years and are extrremely proficient but those I believe are few and in between and most are like me just watch a dozen or so videos skim through what you don't understand in the manual and off you go.

I will give it a try and read the entire pdf manual and view the how to videos and look at it as a good summer read for August. :thumbup:

Edited by surfcandy

How do you learn to fly new aircraft?

I always use the following resource;

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs/

It’s easily read on a phone PDF or a tablet while you play. Free to download and each module is always updated! Oh there are pictures and actual diagrams on everything, even how to set controls!

I’m a real life light aircraft pilot and even the longer manuals get me!!

Chucks guides are the minimum you can do.

Advice

Learn start up

Then to takeoff

Cruise

Land

Then one other system at a time! I took me nearly 2 years to learn every bit of the A10C.

It’s satisfying being able to remember a full startup without reading the checklist but it takes time!

Enjoy

Edited by Irishlad200000

Well, the #1 reason cited for people walking away from DCS is information overload. They try to tackle the big manual off the bat and can't wrap their head around it and give up.

Little bites, and concentrate on the fun stuff and flying as fast as possible. You don't beed how to use the navigation system and UFC to get started. You don't even need it to be combat effective. So stick to the basics until you're ready, basically

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I found the basic training campaign really good for learning the a10c. It teaches alot by repetition, and the rest i filled in with videos. I went to on to complete all the content for the a10, and it's my favourite module easily. I tried hornet but just can get into it really, thats all i bought. Once the a10c gets its upgrades, then i will fly 'the enemy within 3.0' and see how it goes, until then i have moved away from flying but still take half an hour per month to ramp start my a10 and refresh my skills a little, i find i can easily start the jet up and fly.

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP