No ideal replacement (Hotas blues)

I was thinking of getting the TM warthog given its esteemed reputation, (currently using X55) but considering i fly the Hornet much more now than i do the hog, my gripe is that the Throttle doesn't have a Radar elevation control.

I also considered then just getting the HOG stick then, especially considering itl come in handy for Viper release, but i read complaints crappy TDC controller needing custom replacements out of the box about the complaints about gimbal with people suggesting that they use stick with a different base. Sounds like a hassle to deal with straigt out of the box, and a problems that should have been addressed for something produced nearly 10 years with an updated one.

I hear lots of good things about VKB and Virpil, but i dont like the Russian style sticks. Prefer western design. That and with the latter international shipping costs will murder you.

I found it was is especially dumb that TM only released the F18 as an addon grip and dont appear to have any plans for F18C Throttle. Its shame the F18 Grip isnt offered as a standalone stick as for new buyers who arent into the hog. It can literally apply to 3 different aircraft : Hornet, Harrier , and future strike Eagle.

X55 worked great for me so far, (though the stick has become a litte loose causing airplane to always slightly tilt left) but i always disliked that there there is no TDC slew controls in the front of the throttle.

Really there seems to be no ideal HOTAS replacement for me.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

...warthog... but considering i fly the Hornet much more now than i do the hog, my gripe is that the Throttle doesn't have a Radar elevation control.

How about a "mod" to Warthog throttle for this?

Buy one of this knobs (based on F-15/F-16 throttle radar elevation control).

Relocate the potentiometer of axis "friction" using this this "antenna" knob for he left side of left throttle grip, similar to how is in F-22 Raptor Throttle:

https://www.essexindustries.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/f22-Raptor-Throttle-Grip_2.png

Solution: Thrustmaster f18 grip with virpil base and throttle

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

At least there are different choices out there to choose from based on your personal preference. I also prefer Western style grips to the Russian ones, and one of my current fav is the F/A-18 grip which is really awesome.

IMO, the two TM grips are a bit too heavy for the Virpil WarBRD base, the combo feels kinda springy and it feels like I’m just yanking the springs around (might exaggerate a bit here but you get the idea). I’d actually be upset if the real flightstick feels and behaves this way. The perfect grips for Virpil or VKB bases would be their own respective grips, which are much lighter and designed specifically for the purpose.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

At least there are different choices out there to choose from based on your personal preference. I also prefer Western style grips to the Russian ones, and one of my current fav is the F/A-18 grip which is really awesome.

IMO, the two TM grips are a bit too heavy for the Virpil WarBRD base, the combo feels kinda springy and it feels like I’m just yanking the springs around (might exaggerate a bit here but you get the idea). I’d actually be upset if the real flightstick feels and behaves this way. The perfect grips for Virpil or VKB bases would be their own respective grips, which are much lighter and designed specifically for the purpose.

Virpil has a new base now, for use with grip extensions - Perfect match for the F-18 Grip :-)

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50cm-base.html

01100241257050caaa8dcad86b5f0b4e.jpg

Edited by oskich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That is the base that I don’t have since they encourage using extension with it—which I don’t. But I think my next purchase will be something else, perhaps a FFB. My TMWH base works perfectly fine with the new F/A-18 grip, I actually prefer it to my Virpil WarBRD for this grip.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I'll just mention for the record that the T16K throttle has the radar elevation control you're looking for and a functional TDC stick. I mean, if you have to fly around on something that's not exactly what you're looking for, there's an argument for not spending any money on it right

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

On my way back from work i stopped in Canada computers, ALthough the TM Hotas was sold out now, they still do have one on display. IT felt really really nice, like woah . Makes X55 seem like a toy in comparison, which in all honesty in turn back when i bought that seemed like a big upgrade over the simple Logitech 3d Pro.

Another thing i am considering is that is financially more practical to get the TM HOTAS from AMazon.ca ( best price here in Canada i could find) , because with the Virpil base + Hornet grip, it comes out to being nearly as expensive as the TM Hotas due to International shipping costs to NA.

Ultimately Id rather get a full hotas setup for a comparable price than just Stick + base.

SO im going TM Warthog, as it still within an tolerable price for the quality.

Looks nice, but thats too expensive TBH ( $800 flat) , with Shipping fees as well as Taxes addone , thatl be reach 4 figures , especially when converted from USD to CAD. Thats too much.

Given its a proven product ( produced what 10 years?) and lower cost, im ultimately deciding on the TM warthog.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I don’t know how it is in Canada, but you can occasionally get a brand new TMWH HOTAS set for $300 here in the US.

Edited by Supmua

First thing to do if you’re getting a Warthog is stick a DeltaSim TDC upgrade in it. It’ll save a lot of frustration with the stock “nipple” which is next to useless.

https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter

• Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Thanks for the advice guys! It arrived yesterday. Gonna take some time to relearn with a new hotas. Besides being fully mapped out for the A10 module ( for obvious reasons) i was however somewhat surprised to see that its fully pre mapped out for other modules. Very convenient.

uyzTCaH.jpg

LSZ13at.jpg

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

First thing to do if you’re getting a Warthog is stick a DeltaSim TDC upgrade in it. It’ll save a lot of frustration with the stock “nipple” which is next to useless.

https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter

yeah looks like something i should get, although wouldn't that void any warranty when i still have a new product?

Also that sounds like quite a wait if the backlog for pre orders is so long that It wont be until October that more are ready for production.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro