Cougar mfds in vr for the hornet(and the in the future the f16)

Rakamora

Yeah , i'm thinking of fabbing a button box to rough dimension . Number pad , window select , and course/ heading switches would do it . But first i have to figure out how to center-mount a desktop joystick !

Plenty of threads in these forums who've attached some kind of DIY solution to the bottom of their office chairs.

Or there's this

https://wheelstandpro.us/wheel-stand-pro-super-warthog-wheel-stand-for-your-thrustmaster-hotas-warthog-and-saitek-pedals-pedals-mouse-keyboard-throttles-not-included/

I honestly think that version of the wheel stand pro was made at my request, but perhaps I wasn't alone in wanting options for keyboard/mouse stick and throttle.

I decided on the Obutto before they made it though, or I'd have probably snagged one. Reviews I've read say it's sturdy.

I know at some point you were looking at a volair simpit, unsure if you made the jump yet, but if you do any mods to your office chair be sure to adequately reinforce it..

Having a steady center mount, even more so due to a bum shoulder is pretty awesome compared to how I was doing it before.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Plenty of threads in these forums who've attached some kind of DIY solution to the bottom of their office chairs.

Or there's this

https://wheelstandpro.us/wheel-stand-pro-super-warthog-wheel-stand-for-your-thrustmaster-hotas-warthog-and-saitek-pedals-pedals-mouse-keyboard-throttles-not-included/

I honestly think that version of the wheel stand pro was made at my request, but perhaps I wasn't alone in wanting options for keyboard/mouse stick and throttle.

I decided on the Obutto before they made it though, or I'd have probably snagged one. Reviews I've read say it's sturdy.

I know at some point you were looking at a volair simpit, unsure if you made the jump yet, but if you do any mods to your office chair be sure to adequately reinforce it..

Having a steady center mount, even more so due to a bum shoulder is pretty awesome compared to how I was doing it before.

Thanks ! My particular office chair is problematic , will have to do some upholstery carving to possibly effect a solution . I have to do a lot of physical reconfiguration on the cheap for VR . Need to save the big bucks for a 7700k . (Sigh)

The L-39 has much smoother frames WITH terrain shadows flat than the Hornet has with none ! That tells me I need to upgrade the CPU . I had hoped to wait on Vulcan , and spend the money on the pit in the interim . (Sigh)

EDIT : Finally found a settings combo for the Hornet allowing decent graphics & smooth frames , so maybe i can hold off that 7700k after all !

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I read a good tip on mfd/keyboard usage with VR : stick a tiny bit of velcro/heavy tape to strategically chosen keys to help you find the buttons/keys you want easily...

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

I read a good tip on mfd/keyboard usage with VR : stick a tiny bit of velcro/heavy tape to strategically chosen keys to help you find the buttons/keys you want easily...

That's not a bad idea.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

do you mean putting the items at the exact place like in the real cockpit? I would like to, but I don´t know how to do it.

There is a factor called "IPD" within DCS that changes the scale of the world, so what you see may be deceiving.

At least, when I fly the A-10, I try to match the joy and throtlle position and size with my HOTAS.

Thats what i mean. I havent tried it with my setup yet, im waiting on parts.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah , i'm thinking of fabbing a button box to rough dimension . Number pad , window select , and course/ heading switches would do it . But first i have to figure out how to center-mount a desktop joystick !

Check out monster mounts, or Foxx mounts. Thats what I'm waiting on for mine.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks . The Monsters are very nice but monstrously expensive , looked at Virpil's but forgot about Foxx . Been thinking about fabing my own out of Unistrut as well .

As an aside , i have my physical throttle located where my virtual one is . Very cool , as after using the trackball , i can simply put my hand over the virtual throttle . I 'm going to do the same with the stick .

Funny VR story... i had my glasses in my lap with my headset on , and found myself trying to reach OVER the cockpit sill and back down to lay them on the adjoining tv stand :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Haha, good one SV.

I hope to try out VR one day, but I'd like a system with an above average gap that I can easily look through to access the physical controls that I've already setup. Lower immersion, but I like my switch panels and mfds.

Kind of want the best of all worlds. And a new house.

Thanks again ! Checked the Foxx and will be ordering a pair . Gonna move my study desk to use with them , and will be able to hit my simpit target of $300 with a pair of TM MFD's and a UFC numberpad :thumbup:

• 6 months later...

I use them in VR extensively, and after acclimating they dont add much time or fumbling at all. I even added a UFC using a cheap USB numeric keypad...with some remapping it works great. I definitely agree that using little bits of velcro on certain buttons to strategically orient you is very helpful..I added them using both the hook and loop section on both the DDIs and the UFC. Beyond startup I barely use the mouse now.

20190811_163101.thumb.jpg.e4ee1c7af944ced01cf03a5894ad2ec1.jpg

I would definitely recommend the cougar MFDs in VR. The UFC is great to have as well. It didn’t take long to develop the proper muscle memory with regards to the MFDs. The UFC however was a bit more challenging but the benefit of being able to work the autopilot modes and switch frequencies is totally worth it. I placed little pieces of mounting tape on certain buttons of the UFC. Each one is of slightly different size and texture which makes it a lot easier to navigate with my Rift S blindfold on. I did the same to each middle button on each row of the MFDs. Very quickly you will be able to reach up and hit the exact sequence of buttons without even thinking about. These peripherals really add a lot to the sim and I feel that they are even more beneficial in VR.

2FF04359-423B-480B-AEF0-FB1A8EA09E12.thumb.jpeg.71b4658afe62fd387746b52ed9af454f.jpeg

3E61180B-1FC2-4F42-83CC-6EDAA0247610.thumb.jpeg.4f1ce0e9c91c00967d8b59356132556b.jpeg

5873CD7F-2EA5-4FF5-B447-F1EDD1349B66.thumb.jpeg.bdd02bf0febdff46bd8ed068e0b46240.jpeg

Current configuration, for use in VR and non-VR.

attachment.php?attachmentid=215844&stc=1&d=1566309076

IMG_4361_sm.thumb.jpg.db4ed561795b176c7ce59d581baec6d3.jpg

Edited by =Panther=

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thanks again ! Checked the Foxx and will be ordering a pair . Gonna move my study desk to use with them , and will be able to hit my simpit target of $300 with a pair of TM MFD's and a UFC numberpad :thumbup:

VR simpits are the way to go. And its a bit of sickness. I now have 3 sticks, and 2 throttles that I mix/match to get closer to the specific aircraft I'm flying. I haven't bit the bullet on the MFD's mainly because I'm on the list for PointCtrl. But I do use a UFC numpad, so I'm sure they work as well. I just look under my Reverb to use it, so a bit imersion breaking, but I'm typically using it to copy paper coordinates into jdams anyway, which is usually on the runway during startup, so not too immersion breaking.

Edited by Harlikwin

I use them in VR extensively, and after acclimating they dont add much time or fumbling at all. I even added a UFC using a cheap USB numeric keypad...with some remapping it works great. I definitely agree that using little bits of velcro on certain buttons to strategically orient you is very helpful..I added them using both the hook and loop section on both the DDIs and the UFC. Beyond startup I barely use the mouse now.

Could you elaborate a bit about morphing a keypad into a UFC?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Could you elaborate a bit about morphing a keypad into a UFC?

My setup isn't as refined as ferrets, hockmere engineering we used to call it, but I just took a USB numeric keypad which cost like 8bucks, and a cell phone stand that I taped it to. I made sure the keys on the numpad were removable, and pulled them off and replaced them to how they should be on the actual ufc (top row 1,2,3, instead of 7,8,9) The computer just recognizes the keypad as a keyboard device and its totally transparent to DCS, you just have to map the numbers in each aircraft you want to use it in (harrier/F18 mainly). They will show up as the original "key" i.e. 1 will show as 7 but its irrelvant.

I'm sure you have gotten your answer already, but after some initial warming up period with my cougar MFD's my main problem in the hornet was that I kept pressing buttons on the right cougar when I was intending to do stuff on the center console..

So this week I just grabbed another pair.

Using the fourth as a button set for other things like map\cockpit view, course marker, heading select, recenter VR, labels etc, the fourth is getting as much use as the other three :P

It takes some getting used to, but in the span of a month or so I went from thinking these are kind of neat, to I need another pack now !

Shameless frankenpit pic https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/415685339810627584/611932771656400917/IMG_20190816_164150140.jpg

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Lol, that frankenpit looks not too dissimilar from mine. And has given me some ideas.