Tgp laser overheat?

Arbil

In 18 years around the original LANTIRN, the LITENING, and the SNIPER...I never once hear of crews reporting a laser overheat. Not saying it can’t happen, just saying it’s more than likely very rare/non-existant. ‘Pod Hot’ bit failures are pretty common on the legacy pods, but don’t recall anything involving just the laser.

Is this a thing that's modeled in game? Is it even something they have to worry about irl? If I latch my laser and forget to turn it off are there any adverse effects?

Well the main adverse effect would be a shitload of potentially blinded people along where you pointed yon light saber. But luckily for you dcs doesnt simulate that, so the next time you leave it on think to yourself, yup that would be the end of a real flying career.

Overheating, it depends it can happen but its pretty hardware specific, the more modern the pod, the less likely it is.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Had it already that it wouldn't fire (just switches off instantly) while being armed after some usage. And yes, I left it on mostly (not fully intended though) since I still think it's modelled wrong. Wags said we had to hold down the trigger to fire it and it would stop upon release of the trigger. That's what I go for, expecting it to change soon to be correct, so I wouldn't want to learn false procedures...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg