New VR Settings for 2.5

Wags

Be gentle with the adjustment... start at default and move it one or two at a time and it will certainly change your perception of the world size.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• 1 month later...

I find 67 gives me what I'd consider a realistic size appearance.

VR is outstanding and I can't wait for the next gen. My only complaint is the image clarity, but the immersion factor out weights the clarity.

Very happy ED is supporting VR because its growing. In the past month 9 guys on my wing have went to VR.

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

What are you guys using to estimate scale?

I tried to match my real hand to my virtual hand, and that worked well for me. My in-game IPD is 45.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I use 31 IPD on Pimax 4K :pilotfly:

i7-8700K, Z370, 32GB DDR4-3000MHz, RTX 2080 Ti, FSSB R3L, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, Windows 10 Pro, HP Reverb

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-15C, AV-8B, M2000C, F-5E, A-10C, AJS-37, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-21bis, MiG-29, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 K-4, SA342, UH-1H

• 1 month later...

Hello, do you know if is possible to disable vibration on touch controllers?

Because it seems that with the latest updates on dcs, the controllers vibrate continuously when you pass the cursor on a clickable switch. This is quite annoying and also drain a lot the batteries.

thanks

A.

• 1 month later...

Is there a solid recommendation for a (overclocked) GTX1060 6GB and the Oculus Rift?

I have trouble getting it right - I found posts here on the forum, on the oculus forums, some blogs/other forums with once this, once that regarding settings. Also people with GTX1060, but they seem to get a better deal of their graphic cards.

I played a bit around, but it seems I can't get the sweet spot just right. The VRAM is always to 100% full, the GPU itself sits around 80-90%, but i struggle even getting around 45FPS (With and without AWS) - I even tried settings people recommend for the vive, since its the same resolution. I tried setting it up ingame, Oculus (tray tool), nVidia Control panel, Steam (Since I play DCS mainly over steam, but i dont use the steam vr thing itself most of the time)...

I don't think my i7 6700k is throtteling the GPU (Task Manager never shows it fully utilized, but that doesnt mean a lot of course)

When I get it running stable at 45+ FPS, it looks pretty crappy. Biggest problem is, I can not see the cockpit quite clearly or planes on distance with PD 1.0-1.2, at 1.5 its not a problem, which my GPU wont deliver of course. With PD 1.5 and low settings it runs on so low FPS, that when turning, it looks more like stuttering than a smooth motion.

Any suggestions? :/

Edited by Voodoo_One

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record

Is there a solid recommendation for a (overclocked) GTX1060 6GB and the Oculus Rift?

I have trouble getting it right - I found posts here on the forum, on the oculus forums, some blogs/other forums with once this, once that regarding settings. Also people with GTX1060, but they seem to get a better deal of their graphic cards.

I played a bit around, but it seems I can't get the sweet spot just right. The VRAM is always to 100% full, the GPU itself sits around 80-90%, but i struggle even getting around 45FPS (With and without AWS) - I even tried settings people recommend for the vive, since its the same resolution. I tried setting it up ingame, Oculus (tray tool), nVidia Control panel, Steam (Since I play DCS mainly over steam, but i dont use the steam vr thing itself most of the time)...

I don't think my i7 6700k is throtteling the GPU (Task Manager never shows it fully utilized, but that doesnt mean a lot of course)

When I get it running stable at 45+ FPS, it looks pretty crappy. Biggest problem is, I can not see the cockpit quite clearly or planes on distance with PD 1.0-1.2, at 1.5 its not a problem, which my GPU wont deliver of course. With PD 1.5 and low settings it runs on so low FPS, that when turning, it looks more like stuttering than a smooth motion.

Just use task manager to check all cores you'll find one core pretty much nearly maxed. I find it's best to adjust settings untill ML CPU/GPU have some headroom for the core doing the most work if you can get that to around 80% and GPU around 70,% average usage the usage will ramp up and down depending on what your doing in game.

Currently for DCS VR CPU clock speed is everything oh and a plus a good GPU.

My preference is for

MSAA @4

AF@8

PD@1.1

Shadows flat

Most everything else max/high including preloaded.

PG and Normandy maps need too much CPU and GPU power to really enjoy them currently.

HTH

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Just use task manager to check all cores you'll find one core pretty much nearly maxed. I find it's best to adjust settings untill ML CPU/GPU have some headroom for the core doing the most work if you can get that to around 80% and GPU around 70,% average usage the usage will ramp up and down depending on what your doing in game.

Currently for DCS VR CPU clock speed is everything oh and a plus a good GPU.

My preference is for

MSAA @4

AF@8

PD@1.1

Shadows flat

Most everything else max/high including preloaded.

PG and Normandy maps need too much CPU and GPU power to really enjoy them currently.

HTH

Could i trouble you to put your pc specs in sig ? I'm near to taking the VR plunge myself and am having a hell of a time getting good info regarding component selection . Meaning no disrespect , your settings are meaningless without the ability to compare specs .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Could i trouble you to put your pc specs in sig ? I'm near to taking the VR plunge myself and am having a hell of a time getting good info regarding component selection . Meaning no disrespect , your settings are meaningless without the ability to compare specs .

Only if you can hold my beer for a minute, cheers. :D

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Only if you can hold my beer for a minute, cheers. :D

Thank you ! Owe you a beer...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Don't drink and fly:pilotfly:

A Bavarian advising against a beer ? What world have i awakened to ? :)

You watched

right?

Nature of the Oculus is, you just aren't going to get central vision very well. You have a 1080x1200 monitor in there but it's sitting right on your eyeball so you're only getting 10 pixels per degree, and you can see every one of em.

The probletunity is supersampling (which I think is what "PD" is). The scene is rendered at a high definition and then downsized to fit into the Oculus. There's more information than meets the eye, you feel it when you're moving your head around, makes it seem like you're looking at a rich world through a screen door. Your brain starts to ignore the "screen door" after a while. But. Edges are fluid. Which is fine for moving objects, your brain stitches that together. When you're staring at something, your central vision wants hard edges. I think that's what MSAA is doing, enhancing edge detection.

Near as I can tell, MSAA isn't as costly as supersampling. So you might want to try a touch of MSAA and keep PD at 1.0. You're still getting the default level of supersampling, which is nothing to sneeze at.

If your GPU chokes on that, turn MSAA off, get your PD as good as you can get it and work that zoom button. PD is an exponential function, reducing it from 1.2 to 1.1 won't change the image all that much but it may make a big difference to your GPU, so work that slider.

For spotting at a distance, get this. Remember to move your head around, just staring at it makes it disappear (for several reasons)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

You watched

right?

Nature of the Oculus is, you just aren't going to get central vision very well. You have a 1080x1200 monitor in there but it's sitting right on your eyeball so you're only getting 10 pixels per degree, and you can see every one of em.

The probletunity is supersampling (which I think is what "PD" is). The scene is rendered at a high definition and then downsized to fit into the Oculus. There's more information than meets the eye, you feel it when you're moving your head around, makes it seem like you're looking at a rich world through a screen door. Your brain starts to ignore the "screen door" after a while. But. Edges are fluid. Which is fine for moving objects, your brain stitches that together. When you're staring at something, your central vision wants hard edges. I think that's what MSAA is doing, enhancing edge detection.

Near as I can tell, MSAA isn't as costly as supersampling. So you might want to try a touch of MSAA and keep PD at 1.0. You're still getting the default level of supersampling, which is nothing to sneeze at.

If your GPU chokes on that, turn MSAA off, get your PD as good as you can get it and work that zoom button. PD is an exponential function, reducing it from 1.2 to 1.1 won't change the image all that much but it may make a big difference to your GPU, so work that slider.

For spotting at a distance, get this. Remember to move your head around, just staring at it makes it disappear (for several reasons)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Thanks for your response. I know the current technical limits of VR. So that's fine. I am currently only trying to get the best out of it, while I wait for the new generation of headsets and GPUs (not that overprized 2080s).

As I have mentioned in a previous post: currently I am sitting at a sweet spot between looks and performance with my trusty 1060. I will have another look into the MSAA thing you mentioned above. Maybe that will be an improvement (After i read some posts I haven't touched MSAA etc., since many people say it eats to much performance)

And thanks for the link to the spotting mod. I will have a look into it later

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record

• 7 months later...

So I was trying to adjust the ipd setting in options and accidentally added an extra couple of digits!! Now I can't see the menu anymore and the screen through vr is nauseating. How do i change it manually back to normal again? Thanks

EDIT It's ok I just unplugged the Rift and rebooted DCS and changed it in the settings then

Edited by mr_mojo97

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

So I was trying to adjust the ipd setting in options and accidentally added an extra couple of digits!! Now I can't see the menu anymore and the screen through vr is nauseating. How do i change it manually back to normal again? Thanks

Look for options.lua in your Saved Games directory.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• 8 months later...

A question and I hope it wasn't answered yet somewhere.

How can one change the resolution of the image sent by the game to VR... headset (probably first to VR software like oculus etc but for simplicity...)

What I mean by that is:

If I set PD in game to 1.0 and use OTT for 1.5x SS then the one eye image has a resolution of around 1980x2120 (per eye). Usually a bit under 1980... like 1979 or 1978. I can see this by looking at the screenshots. This means the image is super sampled to 4k resolution from 2.5K by a factor of 1.5 as expected. IE RiftS has 2560x1440 (2.5k) multiplied by a factor of 1.5 goes to 3840x2160 (4k). The fact that the image is not 1980x2160 is another problem as that image smaller and disproportionate gets enlarged on RiftS screen with bad results for clarity/pixelation.

The big issue is that the game supersamples the image by the 2.5x maximum factor of PD and then shows the final sized (I think) image at 1648x1776 that gets skewed on the RiftS screen somehow and that image resolution has nothing to do with the RiftS screen resolution. I think the resolution doesn't change if you adjust the multipliers so I guess the supersampling takes places before that.

My problem is the resolutions are not perfectly matching the RiftS screen resolution and as you probably know LCD panels display best the native resolution and any picture that is resized to fit them get distortions and pixelation and loose sharpness.

How could I comand to DCS World a fix output resolution?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I have a problem with the settings window in SteamVR. When I select settings all I can see is a thin black line at the top of my screen that I cannot reposition. A right click of the mouse in the taskbar shows me it's the settings page. How do I get it to the main screen?

Thanks.

A question and I hope it wasn't answered yet somewhere.

How can one change the resolution of the image sent by the game to VR... headset (probably first to VR software like oculus etc but for simplicity...)

What I mean by that is:

If I set PD in game to 1.0 and use OTT for 1.5x SS then the one eye image has a resolution of around 1980x2120 (per eye). Usually a bit under 1980... like 1979 or 1978. I can see this by looking at the screenshots. This means the image is super sampled to 4k resolution from 2.5K by a factor of 1.5 as expected. IE RiftS has 2560x1440 (2.5k) multiplied by a factor of 1.5 goes to 3840x2160 (4k). The fact that the image is not 1980x2160 is another problem as that image smaller and disproportionate gets enlarged on RiftS screen with bad results for clarity/pixelation.

The big issue is that the game supersamples the image by the 2.5x maximum factor of PD and then shows the final sized (I think) image at 1648x1776 that gets skewed on the RiftS screen somehow and that image resolution has nothing to do with the RiftS screen resolution. I think the resolution doesn't change if you adjust the multipliers so I guess the supersampling takes places before that.

My problem is the resolutions are not perfectly matching the RiftS screen resolution and as you probably know LCD panels display best the native resolution and any picture that is resized to fit them get distortions and pixelation and loose sharpness.

How could I comand to DCS World a fix output resolution?

Don't use in game pixel density at all. Set at 1.0 just use tray tool supersampling up to 1.7 (system depending), any more isn't doing much. No in game MSAA either. This is heavy on frames rate. Trouble is with the rift s there is a limit to how much you can add that will actually make a difference to what you can see due to the actual size of the headset pixels. I add a little AA in on the graphics cards settings but it only has a minor difference. Magic is all in the tray tool supersampling (up to 1.7)

Don't use in game pixel density at all. Set at 1.0 just use tray tool supersampling up to 1.7 (system depending), any more isn't doing much. No in game MSAA either. This is heavy on frames rate. Trouble is with the rift s there is a limit to how much you can add that will actually make a difference to what you can see due to the actual size of the headset pixels. I add a little AA in on the graphics cards settings but it only has a minor difference. Magic is all in the tray tool supersampling (up to 1.7)

AA in Nvidia control panel will not do anything for the VR image.

I use 2x MSAA in game as I prefer it versus not any.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I use 1.3 SS in OTT and 1.3 PD in game and I think the image looks better than 1.3 just in OTT and better performance than 1.6 in OTT. I wish more people would test a mix between the two and not just say it from a manual. I will test some more with 1.5SS in OTT and max 1.7SS in OTT just to compare but at some point I can very easy be mistaken and fool myself :) .

Also AA in nVidia settings don't do anything at all but 2 or 4x MSAA in game makes big difference in quality! 4x is preferable!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least