Hydraulic lock

chuck_555

Hi, First of all....... love the sim!!!

I have a question though?

I noticed in the external view (while having a cold dark cockpit) that i could still move the flight controls with out any systems up and running. I know for a fact that without any Hyd pumps opertating you will get a hydraulic lock through out the entire system, that means not moving the flight control surfaces and this includes the control inputs from the cockpit. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Ka-50's hydraulic system include the pressure accumulators. It means you can move control surfaces until pressure drops in this accumulators. Real Russian pilots use that trick to release of pressure in hydro system after aircrafts parked and engines stops.

This question was discussed in Russian forum but right now I can't find that thread.

ok thanks, so does this mean this system works with residual pressure in the accumulator after the pumps have been running?

If this is the case, when the aircraft is being started before a mission, it has been "parked" in the hanger, flight line etc... for certain amount of time before hand surley there wouldn't be any presure left in the accumulators.

The pressure does not bleed out of the accumulators over time, they only lose pressure when the controls are moved, so the accumulators could hold a "charge" for a long, long time.

Also, the servos are boosters and you can actually move the controls without hydraulic power, it just takes both arms and a whole lot of work. Of course, flying without hydraulic power would not be possible, it's just too difficult, but you can move the controls around on the ground if you put enough "oomph" behind it.

Which brings me to a question - in the sim, since your physical joystick can always be moved (thus simulating Superman being on the controls in the virtual world), I'm correct in saying that you can still actually fly with hydraulics gone? I ask, because I seem to remember doing just that.