hydraulic failure - how to gear down

SVK_Fox

During campaign mission I took some shot from enemy AA and on the EKRAN I saw hydraul. failure. So I was seriously damaged on other part of chop. so I decided to return to base.

Over heliport I wasn not able to gear down so I push Emergency gear hydraulics selector switch and moved the switch in the lower position. After that I pressed G. But gear stayed in upper position.

It is possible to gear down during hydr. failure?

BTW also autopilot system didnt serve stability, so it was really hard landing. I landed betwen BTR and building very close, it was luck.

damage5.jpg

damage6.jpg

damage7.jpg

Edited by SVK_Fox

The reason you've unable to extend the gear even with the emergency switch is lack of enough pressure avaialble in the accumulator of the common hydraulic system. It is the one that serves for that. The pressure decreases slowly while you fly (you move the controls), which means that you have limited time to fly with ability to extend the gear. Keep in mind that this is the biggest consumer of hydraulic pressure and you could easily spend all of it for the gear and lose the controls. Also the autopilot stabilization/damping automatically goes off in case of main hydro system failure.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

The reason you've unable to extend the gear even with the emergency switch is lack of enough pressure avaialble in the accumulator of the common hydraulic system. It is the one that serves for that. The pressure decreases slowly while you fly (you move the controls), which means that you have limited time to fly with ability to extend the gear. Keep in mind that this is the biggest consumer of hydraulic pressure and you could easily spend all of it for the gear and lose the controls. Also the autopilot stabilization/damping automatically goes off in case of main hydro system failure.

Tito thank you som much, I guess that it was something like you said, cause in the manual is mentioned common and main hydraul. system and something like main is backup for common HS.

Thank you for explanation and it looks like, that next time I can do decision - land with gear immediately on the grass (as long as I have some pressure in HS), or fly back to base loosing hydr. but still could land without gear.

While we are on the subject of hydraulics... why is it that with the aircraft cold, no power, you can still move all the flight controls. I understand they are mechanically connected but wouldn't the pilot not physically be able to move the swashplate because of the strength required? In what point in the startup procedure are the hydraulics actually turned on. Are the hydraulic pumps on the main gearbox? so as long as the rotors are turning you have hydraulic power? Or does the APU have a hydraulic pump attached to it for ground ops and controls check? Is that what the turbo gear is for?

Wow, lots of questions! I'll try to answer some of your questions to the best of my knowledge, but mainly due to a bit of research.

The main hydraulic system supplies the flight control servo actuators for pitch, bank, yaw and collective. In case of a common system failure, it also ensures emergency landing gear extension.

The common system supplies the landing gear extend/retract system, the main wheels brakes and cannon steering. In case of a main system failure, it supplies the flight control servo actuators.

The main system’s pump is mounted on the left accessory gearbox of the main gearbox, and it operates when the rotors are driven by the engines and also when in autorotation. The common system’s pump is mounted on the aft accessory gearbox of the main gearbox, and it operates when the rotors are turning or when the APU is on.

Regarding your question on why we can move the flight controls, I believe that due to the fact the engines are off, and hence the rotors are not moving, there is a lot less resistance in moving the blades, hence a little manual power is enough.

Some aircraft that have hydraulic power as the main means of driving flight controls can still have those controls moved in a hydraulic system failure, it just becomes exceedingly hard. In the aircraft I am typed, you would be able to fly her down to a landing, but you'd be one tired, spaghetti-arm pilot once on the ground.

Finally, the turbo gear, as I understand it, is a means of connecting the APU to drive the hydraulic system and electrical generators while on the ground, mainly to perform checks.

Best regards,