TRACKIR 5 - is alive !

Check this out! Just got the notification email. Sounds very impressive!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NaturalPoint is proud to unveil TrackIR 5, successor to the best-selling head tracker in the world, TrackIR 4. Through a series of hardware enhancements as well as completely overhauled software, our fifth generation head tracker offers new levels of precision, freedom and reliability.

More Precision

With a 640 x 480 sensor resolution, TrackIR 5 has triple the number of pixels as a TrackIR 4, resulting in radically more precise tracking and further tracking distances. Combined with NaturalPoint's new Precision Grayscale analysis, it achieves a reporting resolution of 96,000 x 72,000. The result is a potent 10-fold increase in effective resolution over TrackIR 4. See a video demonstration of Precision Grayscale on the Product Comparison page.

More Freedom

TrackIR 5's 51.7° field of view is an increase of more than 12% over TrackIR 4. Enjoy more trackable real estate as you move around as much as you need to. Like to sit close to your monitor? Track a fuller range of head motion from up close. Want to keep your distance? Leverage the higher resolution with the wider field of view and enjoy more room than you'll know what to do with at larger distances. With an effective resolution of 1850 subpixels per horizontal field of view degree, you'll still enjoy tremendous tracking fidelity.

More Reliability

TrackIR 5's intelligent design aims to reduce damage from wear and tear with a magnetically attached base and USB cable anchor. The newly designed software introduces NaturalPoint's Spurious Marker Rejection to help filter out unwanted light sources in hostile conditions.

TrackIR Software 5.0

Coinciding with the release of TrackIR 5 is version 5.0 of the TrackIR software, which will also be available to TrackIR 4 and 3 (with Vector) owners. With separate Basic and Advanced settings, you can identify your preferred level of customization and utilize the software accordingly. If you're new to TrackIR or would rather not dig deep into settings, you can personalize your experience by using the basic speed and smoothing settings as a basis for your customization. Power users can delve into a robust profile management section, which puts all of the settings you need right at your fingertips. All users can take advantage of our powerful new preview features, which allow you to customize your profiles with immediate game-like feedback.

Download TrackIR Software 5.0.

Note: Support for TrackIR 3 with Vector will be introduced in software version 5.1. In the meantime, TrackIR 3 users can still use the 4.x software for full functionality in your favorite games and simulations.

TrackIR Enhanced Games

Be sure to take advantage of your new TrackIR 5 with over 100 games and sims! See the complete list of TrackIR Enhanced Games.

Seth Steiling

TrackIR Product Manager

NaturalPoint, Inc.

phone: 1.541.753.6645

fax: 1.541.753.6689

http://www.naturalpoint.com

COMPARISON

---------------------------------------------------------

TrackIR Model

TrackIR 4 TrackIR 5

MSRP

$ 99.95 $ 149.95

Head Position Tracked

6 Axes (6 DOF) 6 Axes (6 DOF)

Horizontal Field of View

46° 51.7°

Sample Rate (FPS)

120 120

Raw Sensor Resolution

355 x 288 640 x 480

Sub-pixel Resolution

1/20th pixel 1/150th pixel

Reporting Range

7,100 x 5,760 96,000 x 72,000

Resolution/Horizontal Field of View Degree

154 subpixels/degree 1850 subpixels/degree

View Resolution Comparison Video

Unit Size (without base)

0.5" deep 0.57" deep

1.7" wide 2" wide

1.1" high 1.5" high

Connection

USB USB

USB Cable Thickness

2.5 mm 2.5 mm

Edited by krel01
Additional info

Greetings

krel01

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Natural Point's website is getting hammered pretty bad, I can't even get to the page...

Yeah - that is true. I finally got the new software! They seem to have a week server.

Greetings

krel01

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dang only got TIR a short time ago! I don't know if its really worth the price for this new version though? The only main feature that caught my eye is the increased field of track. I mean, TIR4pro is pretty damn smooth, how much smoother can it be? And in that comparison video, my TIR is nowhere near that "juddery". Good for first time buyers I guess, but I cant see many people upgrading from TIR 4. Wonder if they have an upgrade option?

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

I got the solfware downloaded but as I was leaving the site I got a

( virus intercepted ) message and that worries me.

TOOLBAR\GTBB655.TMP.EXT" is a destructive program

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

I downloaded and installed the software but it always crash at the beginning. :(

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

Don't sweat it. The new unit offers a wider field of view, which is nice, but that's really the only real significant change, it would seem. It's great that they're still looking for ways to improve their already awesome product though. Look on the bright side, you'll still be able to use the new software! Although, based on Focha's post, I'd wait until it was out of beta... :smilewink:

I'm waiting for TIR 6 with the even more increased field of view , you know .. so I can get behind my monitor to pick up beer cans and it still tracks my head movements .

[sIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/madmaxx69/LOMAC/Rykesig1.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Savage 77th , http://s77th.com

|Core i7 920|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|GTX 285|9600GT-OC|6G DDR3|Softh on 3x22"CRTs|Tir2|yeahIsaidTir2|X-45|Haf 932|Vista Ultimate 64|

I just dl'd the new software. Took all of 30 sec.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

Dang, here I sit with a brand new TrackIR 4 unit! Oh well, I can't imagine the new unit being significantly better.

Here's a comparison.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/trackir-product-comparison.html

The numbers sure do make it look worth it. Although my TrackIR 4 Pro w/ trackclip pro works just fine I might have to buy this.

Edited by Lucky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

That greyscale processing test is very interesting, although I wonder how that really interprets into cockpit head movement.

I mean look at it this way, I am still using a Track3 with vector and have very smooth movement and fine control with 6D0F but I am sure when comparing the TR3 to the TR5 with the same greyscale test, the results would look for very poor for the TR3.

Regardless, I bought one, time to upgrade.

TrackIR4 works very well anyhow. You'll be well pleased by it. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Got an email about the TrackIR5 release literally hours after I ordered my TrackIR4 with the DCS Black Shark coupon :(

then cancel your order, if you really did just bought it hours ago then your order most likely still hasn't been processed.

I upgraded from TrackIR3 to TrackIR4 and there was a noticeable improvement in tracking and field of veiw. I don't think I will regret missing out on TrackIR 5 because I have not had any problem with moving out of the FOV since upgrading and tracking has been extremely smooth. I am very satisfied with TrackIR 4.

CJSO... my Track IR4 was sent from the Naturalpoint online store 1 day before the TrackIR5 release... how do you think I feel>?

Edited by facetious1

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

MB: ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe

Processor: Intel® Core i9-7920X CPU @ 2.90GHz (24 CPUs), ~2.9GHz

Memory: 65536MB RAM

MSI Seahawk RTX 2080 TI

ASUS ROG Swift PG278 G-SYNC at 165HZ

Saitek Pro X-55

TIR5 looks like a good work on mistakes correction.

Weak thin plastic center pin, so prone to breaking, is replaced with detachable magnetic base.

USB cable anchor should address TIR displacement, which happens because of cable weight and tension... serrated rubber legs for the same sake. At last.

This is how TIR4 should look like, mechanically.

sounds like it would be a good time to buy TIR 4, they have it on the site for only $99 now :) and comparing 4 to 5, it looks like 5 is only minimally better. a slight FOV increase, more resolution, higher FPS, but the resolution and FPS are prob overkill as many here have said that TIR 4 works perfectly smooth with BS.

given the rave reviews for TIR4 and that its only $99 now, it might be worth considering.