Screen size for 1:1 cockpit representation

Hi,

Looking at changing the PITA surround with 3x32” screens to a 4K screen. Looking at 55” to 70” but... anybody have any recommendations around size of screen to get a 1:1 representation of cockpit. Yes I know that zoom is going affect that sizing but at the setting where the edge of the cockpit frame corner ie front to side being placed should give that aspect if IRL frame size.

Any comments appreciated :) :helpsmilie:

I went from 3 40” 1080p TVs with a 22” touchscreen monitor for HELIOS to the Samsung Odyssey. I have a 55” 4K TV that is only used to mirror my gameplay so my wife can watch when the mood hits. Just can’t fly on a monitor anymore.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Actually you are aproaching this the wrong way. First you get the screen, biggest you can get if you ask my opinion. Then you get it as close to you as its pratical and confortable. Then you figure out the right FOv, there are online calculators to help with this. Then you adjust the FOV (Zoom) to the exact value you got, but because you can't know this in game, you will need to use a lua edit. Then you will get the 1:1 representation (but only after pressing numpad 5 I think, can't remember for sure now...)

What Ixsapper said. What determines scale is your ingame Field of View, not your monitor size, and also your distance from the monitor. Whether you are using a 6'' smartphone or a 65'' TV is irrelevant.

So, preferably a large screen and relatively close, then.adjust the FoV appropriately until it is appropriate. Note ingame 'fov' is aka 'zoom'.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

On a 65" you can go beyond a 1:1 scale, it varies on the module and the default head position which you can change. I think the sweet spot is around 55-65" in my experience. You could probably get close to 1:1 on a 40" or so but you will be limited in how much screen space you have for sky and peripheral vision. If you went much bigger I don't think the perspective and distance will feel right from the way the cockpits are modeled. On my 65" I frequently shift my head position and zoom in real time via a layer mapped on my HOTAS. It becomes second nature very quickly. The modelers kind of assume you are using a smaller monitor though. Things like canopy struts will be out of scale while the main instrument panel looks about right. Cheap big screens that can display a good computer image are a relatively recent thing. I've been doing it for 2+ years now and won't ever go back to a smaller monitor. Probably switch to VR in about 5 years or so but as of now the graphical fidelity just doesn't compare to 4K on a big screen with TrackIR. I usually play at night in a dark room so your brain just blocks out your peripheral vision in a nice home theater effect and all you see is DCS. It's a really immersive experience. If you haven't seen these cockpits on a big screen in 4K you don't know what you are missing. They're absolutely gorgeous. Once VR gets a wider field of view and better resolution I'll lose all motivation to build a cockpit as I won't be able to build one better than the DCS cockpit modelers.

I keep my big screen on a cart so I can wheel it into the living room or in front of my bed for casual gaming and watching movies and Netflix. I can take the UFC and MFDs off in a minute or so by unscrewing the wingnuts in back. The cart was pretty cheap on Amazon too. There are pictures of my setup on my forum profile.

Important! before you buy a big screen for gaming check out reviews on rtings.com. They'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know about all the major flat panels on the market. The gaming modes for consoles and PC modes can vary quite a bit as far as input lag and the ability to display 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. The 2018 Samsungs started supporting freesync but lack Display port and only have HDMI so I haven't been able to get Gsync working. Maybe rtings.com will start testing for that if we ask? I'm sure most of the new 2019 panels announced at CES have some kind of gaming mode though, just don't assume every big screen at Walmart will be a good computer monitor.

Well said Sn8ke iis.

‘You can also permanently store an FOV by pressing RAlt + Numpad Enter once you have the desired zoom amount” (Mustang).

I experimented with this to achieve a 1:1 scale with my setup. My eyes are typically slight more than 24 inches from screen. 85% scale was as close as I came before giving up on it. For reasons that Sn8ke touched on, I found this was the limit to what I felt “flyable” with my choppers.

For what it’s worth, I own an Oculus but prefer my single 65” with 27” accessory screen much more enjoyable. JUST my opinion/preference. Don’t wanna start a 4K vs VR thread.

Edited by Chic
Typo

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

On a 65"...If you went much bigger I don't think the perspective and distance will feel right from the way the cockpits are modeled.

It's not so much the way cockpits are modeled but the way the engine "projects" images onto a flat screen. But around the center things will feel much more natural and at the right size. Sim Racers are usualy very keen on having this right as it really can help "depth" and speed perception of the enviroment. It's pherhaps more important there than for flight Sims. Still my personal preference would be to go for the 1:1. But each has to find what works best for him.

Or just buy a VR headset and be IN the simulator rather then looking at it through a 2D window;)

:pilotfly:

I joke I joke. I know it’s not everybody’s bag, but I couldn’t go back to a screen.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yup 4K 55 inch was cool until VR came along and bitch slapped pancake vision to its grave. :megalol:

Not quite true...it is still quite cool.

I use a 65” Samsung 8 Series 4K for my monitor when not in VR.

I sit about 4 ft away and its about right.

I love VR but also love the eye candy. So I do both.

Have been using big screens for about 8 years now. Could never gp back to those little monitors.

Just finished a 450 sq ft addition which is my new man-cave.

I will be adding an 80” Super-wammy-dyne screen for gaming. Maybe I’ll back up another foot or two lol.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Well said Sn8ke iis.

‘You can also permanently store an FOV by pressing RAlt + Numpad Enter once you have the desired zoom amount” (Mustang).

I experimented with this to achieve a 1:1 scale with my setup. My eyes are typically slight more than 24 inches from screen. 85% scale was as close as I came before giving up on it. For reasons that Sn8ke touched on, I found this was the limit to what I felt “flyable” with my choppers.

For what it’s worth, I own an Oculus but prefer my single 65” with 27” accessory screen much more enjoyable. JUST my opinion/preference. Don’t wanna start a 4K vs VR thread.

I just don't get it.

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I just don't get it.
Sigh...

How are you liking your curved screen? I kind of regret now not paying the extra money for the curved version. I sit about 3 feet away from mine and the colors can be washed out in the far corners from that angle as well as the expected distortion.

Sigh...

How are you liking your curved screen? I kind of regret now not paying the extra money for the curved version. I sit about 3 feet away from mine and the colors can be washed out in the far corners from that angle as well as the expected distortion.

Yah, I went from 55" straight to 65" curved and believe the curve does make a worthwhile difference.

Havin said that, I suspect that with 55" at 3 feet, the curve effect is less dramatic. Furthermore, the only time you're focused on the far corners is when you're second guessing yourself. QUIT IT!!!

JUST CHOPPERS

I forgot where to set the standard(?) FOV.

Think of a lua file where one should be able to set it since I can't find anything in the standard settings.

Any got an idea which lua file?

SnapViews.lua in Saved Games. Section [13] for 2D, [14] for VR.

JUST CHOPPERS