Pulled the trigger

Svsmokey

On a Rift today . It took months to tune the 'puter and DCS for optimal 1080p performance . Now I get to start all over :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

You should be fine.

I find under DCS with the VR shader mod with my low end system:

PD 1.2

Textures high

MSAA x2

and medium for draw distances, with trees/grass set to about half ish works well, I mainly use the grass because I fly helos and grass has some fps loss but not too bad. No shadows though, but your card should be able to do more than mine. You might not need the shader mod.

One other thing is you should experiment with the force IPD option to near where your rift says your IPD is, this made a big difference for me clarity wise.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Congrats!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Thanks for the replies . I have both "VR tips" and "IPD" bookmarked .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah the IPD thing really blew my mind. I had been using the rift for a while without it checked, and things were mostly blurry except a tiny center bit (cockpit, displays etc). Well I figured that was what it was, and it was usable. Then I did the VR shader mod, and saw little to no difference with the MSAA setting being on/off, and I though that can't be right. Then I started reading about the IPD, and its not clear to me how exactly it works, but once I set it "close" to my actual and rift IPD clarity went up for the whole FOV. And from what I understand it "shouldn't" make a difference, but maybe I don't really understand it. But I basically could see the MSAAx2 mask and actually be able to read the MFD's a bit better in some planes. Clarity still not great at the edges due to the rift opitcs, but its definitely better than it was.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

One other thing is you should experiment with the force IPD option to near where your rift says your IPD is, this made a big difference for me clarity wise.

where is this option?

and do you set it separately (and to a different value?) from the Rift setup configuration wizard?

Interesting I will have to have a look at that.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

DCS IPD? That's the "World Scale", you can find it in the VR section of the options. But DCS IPD is different then the Rift IPD. (interpupillary distance)

My Rift IPD is around 67 I think. I have the DCS IPD (World Scale) set at 60.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

where is this option?

and do you set it separately (and to a different value?) from the Rift setup configuration wizard?

DCS IPD and VR headsets IPD are totally unrelated and very different things.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

where is this option?

Its under the VR settings.

My rift IPD IIRC is set to 67 or 68, and I used the force IPD to 67.

DCS IPD and VR headsets IPD are totally unrelated and very different things.

So you say. And I've heard the same said, that its like a world scale thing. And maybe thats part of it, by increasing the IPD you increase the world scale but that does seem to make things more readable for me. I tried clicking it back off, and things looked worse for me.

So you say. And I've heard the same said, that its like a world scale thing. And maybe thats part of it, by increasing the IPD you increase the world scale but that does seem to make things more readable for me. I tried clicking it back off, and things looked worse for me.

Before I read any of the dogmatic statements on this forum related to IPD, I measured mine with a set of calipers and put that number into DCS for IPD. The result was a clearer picture in a much wider area, better depth perception, and the size of everything in the cockpit actually looked correct. Give that a shot and see what kind of results you get.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Before I read any of the dogmatic statements on this forum related to IPD, I measured mine with a set of calipers and put that number into DCS for IPD. The result was a clearer picture in a much wider area, better depth perception, and the size of everything in the cockpit actually looked correct. Give that a shot and see what kind of results you get.

The fact is that your HMD IPD is your Inter Pupillary Distance which you set to get the sharpest image on your headset, and the DCS IPD is a rendering distance within the DCS engine and determines the scale of the world.

The DCS IPD is not related to your actual IPD, except in the sense that if you set DCS IPD to the same as your physical IPD, then you will see the world as 1:1. Easy to see, just put in your actual IPD (as set in your HMD config) into the DCS IPD box, and then check/uncheck the box. Nothing will change. Then, input different value and see the difference.

It's possible that setting different values for DCS IPD might improve the rendered image for some people, but that's a separate thing.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

If you leave the IPD option unchecked in DCS, what distance/value is it actually using as default?

As I said above, it defaults to 1:1. If you put a value in the check box, your physical IPD will show everything as 1:1 in the DCS world. Changing that value changes the 1:1 ratio, so that the world is smaller or larger depending on which way you go.

Easy to see, just put in your actual IPD (as set in your HMD config) into the DCS IPD box, and then check/uncheck the box. Nothing will change.

That wasn't the case for me, so I'll go with my own observations on that. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Same result. Which is why I tell other people to try it.

That wasn't the case for me, so I'll go with my own observations on that. :D

Interesting that it's different for you. See Skate's post here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3333577&postcount=38

The only other thing Ill add is to make sure you adjust everything first to get the best image available. It takes practice, but the tilt angle of the headset, how far it is from your eye and ipd setting all have a major impact on how well it looks.

The only other thing Ill add is to make sure you adjust everything first to get the best image available. It takes practice, but the tilt angle of the headset, how far it is from your eye and ipd setting all have a major impact on how well it looks.

Thanks !

You probably won't get it exactly right the first time, but do your best, and then keep futzing it with it till you get it where you want. I was actually surprised how much the distance to the eye mattered with the rift lenses (how tight you adjust the mask to your face).

Interesting that it's different for you. See Skate's post here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3333577&postcount=38

Yeah I've read the discussions and I tried it too, and it helped. Not sure why. and my in game IPD isn't set the same as my real or rift IPD its 1mm less but things do look clearer. I'm also using the shader mod and if that is also a variable here.

The only other thing I can think of is that you are used to seeing the world with your normal IPD and it might look "off" if its presented differently, and you might be trying to "focus" on things normally, but if the IPD is wrong in the world then you have eyestrain? Thats as pseudo scientific as I got. I also know that everything is "in focus" on those screens, which also isn't normal.

Edited by Harlikwin