Best Method/Strat to quick resume campaign mission after death - saving valuable time

redmantab

Hello pilots. On many campaign missions it will take 15 minutes in pre-flight, take off, and travel time to get to the 45 minute mark on a mission and then...boom, understandably, you may die. For those of us who don't wish to repeat a mission that takes 45 minutes to get to a main point....and then die....and then have to do it again, please advise your best technique to "get right back" to where you were. The time skip feature still isn't a desired solution as then I skip triggers, miss important events, and still have to manually control so many portions of the mission.

What works best? Loading tracks after I die? Is that viable? How well does it work? Invincibility mode could help but then really feels like a weak solution?

Also, I realize that this can lead to debates about realism, how simulators should be played, etc. I would agree with both sides on many points but ask that we put this aside. I love realism but need to find a time efficient way to handle running 45 minute sessions....just to reach a point, 3 - 5 x + until I'm able to pass the mission.

Please advise and thank you in advance.

The replay had, has? I can’t remember... a “take over” feature. In theory you could watch your replay and then take over at a certain point. I can’t remember if this feature is still there. I tried it once. My mission success didn’t count to advance the campaign. Also replay is bugged now and you won’t get the same results with it.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Bad advices:

- edit logbook.lua and change next mission number and proper name

- hit mission planner before loading the campaign mission and change the starting point (or just load through mission editor if this doesn't work), you can also empty the enemies' weapon stores

Good advices: don't take risks, act like you were there for real and your life depends on your actions, train somewhere else and come back when you're combat ready.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

True and valid

Hello pilots. On many campaign missions it will take 15 minutes in pre-flight, take off, and travel time to get to the 45 minute mark on a mission and then...boom, understandably, you may die. For those of us who don't wish to repeat a mission that takes 45 minutes to get to a main point....and then die....and then have to do it again, please advise your best technique to "get right back" to where you were. The time skip feature still isn't a desired solution as then I skip triggers, miss important events, and still have to manually control so many portions of the mission.

What works best? Loading tracks after I die? Is that viable? How well does it work? Invincibility mode could help but then really feels like a weak solution?

Also, I realize that this can lead to debates about realism, how simulators should be played, etc. I would agree with both sides on many points but ask that we put this aside. I love realism but need to find a time efficient way to handle running 45 minute sessions....just to reach a point, 3 - 5 x + until I'm able to pass the mission.

Please advise and thank you in advance.

Well, DCS hasn't got the "Save game" option, and I find track replays unreliable.

Depends on the mission (.miz), you can open your "full time" mission in ME and edit your start point so that you are in the air already.

If this is within campaign or mission with multiple dependencies then most likely it won't be a good solution either unless you take an effort to edit the mission.

For that purpose I build my own missions and play campaign only when I have enough time.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Interesting

The replay had, has? I can’t remember... a “take over” feature. In theory you could watch your replay and then take over at a certain point. I can’t remember if this feature is still there. I tried it once. My mission success didn’t count to advance the campaign. Also replay is bugged now and you won’t get the same results with it.

This, however, even if replay worked same 100% times, will not limit the time needed to complete the mission as it will use the same flow of actions.

Replays are buggy even without time acceleration.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Bad advices:

- edit logbook.lua and change next mission number and proper name

- hit mission planner before loading the campaign mission and change the starting point (or just load through mission editor if this doesn't work), you can also empty the enemies' weapon stores

Good advices: don't take risks, act like you were there for real and your life depends on your actions, train somewhere else and come back when you're combat ready.

Agree. On my most recent Mirage 2000 campaign flight I could have stayed to tangle with the Su-27’s that had launched but my strike package was clear and I was out of missiles and it was time to bug out. Sure I would love a third and fourth kill, but the job was done and it was time to head home.

Even so sometimes things happen. Just be glad that this is a sim and all that means is a reload.