DCS 2nd free map

ebabil

I wouldn't object to new WWII maps, I love the warbirds. WWII didn't bring me to DCS by any means, but it's definitely kept me here!

Now if the Caucasus got expanded to include Crimea, it'd certainly satisfy me. Imagine the long range missions you could do. Personally I'd like it if they expanded the map a little above and below as well, so you have more options besides flying over the sea- but any Caucasus expansion would be welcome!

Little OT, my wishlist would be endless if it went beyond just my top 3, but the 104 is on there!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy with an open water map, but then I've asked for that before. Would be great for carrier based aircraft, and I'm sure that includes helicopters.

Maybe because I am not so much into it - But why does some people want a only water map anyway? Can't you play on caucasus / gulf map and just place everything miles away in the open water, so it takes forever to reach land?

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record

Maybe because I am not so much into it - But why does some people want a only water map anyway? Can't you play on caucasus / gulf map and just place everything miles away in the open water, so it takes forever to reach land?

I don't really understand it either. The Falkland map will be a pretty water heavy map anyways, with not many jet suitable landbased airfields (should be 1-2 on the Falklands themselves + maybe another 1-2 in Argentinia if the map gets big enough).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Is it the Falklands ?

Or is that could be one of the pay for ones

The Falklands will be a payed for map.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

i dont know why, but i guess (AND HOPE!!!) it will have something to do with cold war era. . . baltics maybe? there were several new 3-d-objects hidden within the files. (new soviet style hardened aircraft shelter, kraz airfield fuel truck - just for example)

I agree Normandy can be quite plain, and in anything besides a warbird it's quite small.

Sounds daft using anything besides a WWII prop in Normandy, but I find the airfields and the topography to make for slightly more immersive Sabre/MiG 15 play than the Caucasus. I think the Sabre and MiG-15 need some love though which is why I hope the free map might be based around MiG Alley.

The logic was simple:

- With nothing on it, you'd expect it to be dead easy to create, thus minimising the costs (or making it free) and allowing ED developers to go create other maps

- I'd like to have the opportunity for genuine "space" for opposing carrier groups to operate. That's simply not possible in any of the maps that we currently have, including the Caucasus

Don't get me wrong, I want other maps also (e.g. Vietnam), but an open water map, just seems such an obvious map to provide for us.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Maybe because I am not so much into it - But why does some people want a only water map anyway? ......

Naval Aviation... :)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

The Spratly Island !!! :shocking:

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

My two cents (or is that pence as I am English)

I would love mach loop though it's less playable then NTTR unless you had the majority of England/ Wales

How about North Sea map or (Sort out Normandy and extend it that way) 1940's.

Having slowly been building a train sim2018 route of railways of norfolk i have lot's of data on and around that area aswell as including Duxford, I have access to War reconnaissance pictures of Norfolk as well as a 1946 map and i'm all about accuracy.

A Pacific Theatre would also go down a treat.

You know I never thought about it but a complete water may would be pretty awesome...

Especially if they put a good deal of love into the weather systems...

Also... An Alaska/Russia map would be SWEET!!!!

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

ED will probably be using it to market some aspect of DCS not covered by the current Caucasus map, or to showcase something specific.

With that in mind, there's a few scenarios that I can think of:

• Last newsletter they started talking about the carrier DLC again. They could pick something with a lot of sea and either islands or a coastal region to show off carriers.
  • They've also been gearing up with WWII content too, we know there's another European WWII map in works that's probably paid, so maybe a Northern Africa map? Lots of desert, not much actual custom assets, should be a cheaper map to make and maintain.
  • Finally, it could be a small map, something like a city somewhere with a large bay, to support more aerobatic planes and showcase DCS's flight models. Ties in with ED wanting to run more events with the new points system they're putting in with MAC.

Whatever map it is, I'd very much expect it to either be smaller, or spase in content (not geometry, but things like towns/cities and such), considering they're giving it for fee. Or they think they'll be able to pay for it with money from DLC campaigns or aircraft modules that perfectly suit it.

As a side topic, I suspect looking back ED wish they'd made Nevada free to more than just the A-10c pre-orderers, as it's the perfect map to showcase things off, and its dev cost would probably have been paid for by all the blue/red flag DLC campaigns.

Edited by Buzzles

As a side topic, I suspect looking back ED wish they'd made Nevada free to more than just the A-10c pre-orderers, as it's the perfect map to showcase things off, and it's dev would probably have been paid for by all the blue/red flag DLC campaigns.

Even if a bit OT, I agree with you that the Nevada should have been the free map and not the Caucasus.

They could have done it so that everyone paying for it (or EA A-10C) would get the Caucasus for free when finally ported to DCS 2, while everybody else would have to buy it for the same price as Nevada previously, while getting Nevada for free. That way it would be quite fair and square. And since most missions and campaigns for Caucasus would need some rework the extra income from people buying the new Caucasus could cover some of that work.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

With the (mainly US) naval aircraft we have and the updates coming for carrier ops, could it be a large ocean map with an island naval base in the middle?

Maybe Wake Island, Hawaii with Pearl Harbour, the Ascension Islands etc.- and if it's just a few islands that need populating it wouldn't require as many resources to make and would justify it being free.