DCS: F-16CM Block 50 by EDSA Discussion Thread

NineLine

CheeseCake said:
can someone explain to me whats special about this F-16 wjay what i understand its the "anti-sam" version is this correct?

It depends what do you mean by special. There are dozens of post about this. F-16CJ is just a Technical Manual (commonly refer to a Technical Orders or T.O. ) designation to F-16C Block 50 and 52. So if you look at F-16 manuals,

For example, you may see a 1F-16CG-2-78JG-00-11

The G would mean a block 40 or 42 and the 11 at the end will mean GE engine, so this is a block 40 book.

If instead of the G you have a J, it would be a block 50/52 book. If the 11 is replace with a 21 is a PW book so block 52. So a 1F-16CJ-2-78JG-00-21 is a block 52 book.

Over the years, if has become common to refer to block 50/52 as F-16CJ, but, It does not specify any particular set of capabilities nor avionics.

Edit;

To make matter more fun

If there are letters in front of the 1F, it sometime specify an country, example: GR1F-16CJ-1 is specifically for Greece block 50 and 52. There is also a date on the bottom of these manuals and a list of aircraft tail numbers. So the manuals would only matter to those specific tail number listed around the date, so outside of those tail numbers and date it would not tell you anything about other F-16.

There are even more subdivisions, but I think it is confusing enough as it is now.

CheeseCake said:
and on a side note is this one equipped with the conformal fuel tanks

As of this specific time no.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

According to F-16.net CCIP upgrade happened at software tape M4.2 So if its a F-16CJ (pre-CCIP) then no glide bombs, since that would be M5+ at least

Or am I wrong?

CCIP happened on Time Compliance Technical Order (TCTO) 1F-16-2221(on USAF block 40 anyway, might be a different TCTO/ECP for others), related but not specific to OFP 4.2 or other OFP. On a side note, since the CCIP upgrade, there have been modifications to the JHMCS, MMC, Flight computer and other systems.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I'm excited to try out the JSOW. That was fun to use in Falcon 4.

This F-16 is a must-buy for me - my all-time favorite aircraft!

she will be fun to try in that river run mission Wags posted.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

It depends what do you mean by special. There are dozens of post about this. F-16CJ is just a Technical Manual (commonly refer to a Technical Orders or T.O. ) designation to F-16C Block 50 and 52. So if you look at F-16 manuals,

[ATTACH]201389[/ATTACH]

For example, you may see a 1F-16CG-2-78JG-00-11

The G would mean a block 40 or 42 and the 11 at the end will mean GE engine, so this is a block 40 book.

If instead of the G you have a J, it would be a block 50/52 book. If the 11 is replace with a 21 is a PW book so block 52. So a 1F-16CJ-2-78JG-00-21 is a block 52 book.

Over the years, if has become common to refer to block 50/52 as F-16CJ, but, It does not specify any particular set of capabilities nor avionics.

Edit;

To make matter more fun

If there are letters in front of the 1F, it sometime specify an country, example: GR1F-16CJ-1 is specifically for Greece block 50 and 52. There is also a date on the bottom of these manuals and a list of aircraft tail numbers. So the manuals would only matter to those specific tail number listed around the date, so outside of those tail numbers and date it would not tell you anything about other F-16.

There are even more subdivisions, but I think it is confusing enough as it is now.

As of this specific time no.

haha thank you for that lot to look into and are they just trying to confuse people with all that haha

Happy for those who want it. Will be cool to see it in traffic.

But it is a pass for me. Just Not excited for it.

The F18, Harrier and F14 will keep me busy for my remaining days. Along with the WWII Birds.

Though I did enjoy it back in the Falcon era.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

haha thank you for that lot to look into and are they just trying to confuse people with all that haha

When you have 27 countries, all with different "wants" and "needs" stuff is bound to be confusing. Can we even name all the Countries that have used, currently use or will use the F-16 from memory? No cheating, who can name them all without looking it up on Google? I can't

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

CCIP happened on Time Compliance Technical Order (TCTO) 1F-16-2221(on USAF block 40 anyway, might be a different TCTO/ECP for others), related but not specific to OFP 4.2 or other OFP. On a side note, since the CCIP upgrade, there have been modifications to the JHMCS, MMC, Flight computer and other systems.

I guess would it be conceivable for a CJ to have a higher OFP then CGs being upgraded to CM standard? or Did the entire fleet recieve OFP updates more or less at the same time?

What I mean is; is it possible that new Block 50s already had the CCIP associated software, before the rest of the fleet got standardized with it. Allowing a newer CJ in that time period to be more or less the same as CM?

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

I guess would it be conceivable for a CJ to have a higher OFP then CGs being upgraded to CM standard? or Did the entire fleet recieve OFP updates more or less at the same time?

All update and upgrades will happened gradually. If not you would have to not fly hundreds of aircraft at the same time for weeks (or months depending on the upgrade) at a time.

To whom it may concern,

All update and upgrades will happened gradually. If not you would have to not fly hundreds of aircraft at the same time for weeks (or months depending on the upgrade) at a time.

Ok so then is it possible for a CJ to have had an OFP of say 5 before the rest of the fleet finished CCIP? And so its still called CJ because they haven't changed the designation to CM yet, or would that not make sense?

It's possible. But CM if another T.O. reference, LOL. I'm not making this up. So on a USAF F-16C block 40, that has under gone CCIP upgrades, T.O. related to dose components will be CM and other T.O.s it will still be CG. It only applies to some manuals but people are using it to describe USAF CCIP upgraded block 40 to 52.

I know this sounds complicated, but think of it as a car. If some one tells you they like a car, would you not say: Which one? Then they say a Mustang ( just an example) Would you not say: what year? What engine? and so on. Same thing.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am very curious to see how they will implement HTS avionics, since this pod is classified. The HTS pod is not even exportable to foreign countries .... they do SEAD using AGM-88 Harm sensor ... we will see.

Excited about the Sniper TGP and the JDAM´s .... maybe some GBU-39. About time DCS gets some up to date toys.

As one of my all-time favorite military aircraft, barely edged out only by the F-22, it would be an understatement to say I've been very excited about this coming to DCS.

I keep seeing this 2019 number they keep hinting or outright almost saying, and I still won't believe it, even for EA. I mean, this is DCS....love it, but not known for accurate time estimates are they.

For sanity's sake, I'm going to have to convince myself that EA happens in 2020 if we're lucky.

It's possible. But CM if another T.O. reference, LOL. I'm not making this up. So on a USAF F-16C block 40, that has under gone CCIP upgrades, T.O. related to dose components will be CM and other T.O.s it will still be CG. It only applies to some manuals but people are using it to describe USAF CCIP upgraded block 40 to 52.

I know this sounds complicated, but think of it as a car. If some one tells you they like a car, would you not say: Which one? Then they say a Mustang ( just an example) Would you not say: what year? What engine? and so on. Same thing.

Haha no it makes sense there’s just a lot of F-16s but that’s what I was asking in a round about way. I understand now the CJ/CM designations are not super formal, just gives an idea of block and time. I wanted to see if we can determine definitively if glide bombs are gonna be possible with this version. But as I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Maybe they can tell us which OFP we’re getting at some point like they did with the the hornet.

Also I’m not sure what exactly CCIP means for block 50 since much of the upgrades the jet already came with.

Also I’m not sure what exactly CCIP means for block 50 since much of the upgrades the jet already came with.

It should mean the same thing that it means for block 40/42 in USAF. Not all the block 50/52 had the same components. The same goes for all blocks.

When I first started on block 42 (Luke AFB, 310th FS, 1997) They did not even have NVG compatible cockpit lighting, and they where the main USAF training squadron for night flying. So they would turn all the lights down that they could, the ones that could not be adjusted where covered. They use little rubber covers and every nigh at least one pilot would loose one and we had to find it. The lighting was green glow sticks on Velcro to the side walls. After that, they rig this LED light and glue them to the side walls. They actually use DD batteries. I did not see NVG compatible cockpit light until I got to Osan AB in 2000. That is also the last time I saw AN/AAQ-13 loaded. I did not seen them since on any USAF F-16.

My point is they aircraft are always changing.

To whom it may concern,