How to Edit Normal Maps for DCS World? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 AM   #1
000rick000

Default How to Edit Normal Maps for DCS World?

Hello all. I need some help. Is there a guide to editing Normal maps in DCS? I've only created them for P3D in the past, and clearly they are not done the same way. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks so much!

Rick
CSEL\CMEL\IFR
Certified Airplane Nut
000rick000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
000rick000

Been searching without a clear answer as to 'How' to created bump maps for DCS...I don't mean how to create them in general. I mean once I create them using the Nvidia plugin for PS, do I need to do anything to the RGB layers? For example, in FSX/p3D once you create the bumps, you needed to invert the green channel, make the Alpha Channel the same as the RED channel, then turn the RED channel all black and the Blue channel all white. This was the process. Is there any similar process or do I just use the bumps as converted by the plugin? Any insight would be very helpful!

Rick
CSEL\CMEL\IFR
Certified Airplane Nut

Last edited by 000rick000; 02-13-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
112th_Rossi

Send a message via MSN to 112th_Rossi

You don't 'edit' a normal map. Normal maps are there to describe extra detail that does not exist on the geometry. However you can generate a normal map from a bitmap.

You can use http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ to generate normal maps from bitmaps (PNG, JPG or whatever) and then use the result in your texture.
112th_Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:53 AM   #4
000rick000

Thank you. I do know how to create them. I use the NVIDIA plugin for PS. My question is, once you have the raw output, is that all that is needed or do I need to do anything else to the RGB channels first before saving them as a bump? In FSX/P3D for example, you needed to take the RED channel and make it the Alpha Channel etc. as described above. Do I need to do similar in DCS? Or am I good to go once the raw output is created?

Rick
CSEL\CMEL\IFR
Certified Airplane Nut