1st mission and my semi feeling about it

GumidekCZ

Yesterday, I started campaign with first mission. And I have semi feelings about current state of M2C and this campaign. I cannot recommend to anybody to start his C now. This is why:

M2C current bugs:

Radio mode selector knob (manual/preset/guard) is bugged.

Data selector knob on HIS is not working properly when using mouse drag

Mission issues:

1st mission with 3 fuel tanks after long flight and my plane is almost full of gas, heavy and struggling to fly slow speed matching the KC-130 speed. Why??? :doh:

After short while from brake at 12:20 when inbound to Charlie, I’m tell to setup TACAN offset of Nellis AFB 5 miles approach fix. Why??? I’m still navigating to Charlie, I cannot do this now.

Also when outbound of Charlie and almost at 5nm from landing, I was tell to report inbound of Charlie. Why now?

At the end, I landed proper RWY 21L (12:35) and taxi to apron next to other M2C. Shutted down engine and waited to any note, that mission is done and I can exit. Nothing came up :/ so I exit from mission and report show my score = 0 :mad:

Over all the radio call triggers seems to me desynchronized with my flight appearing in not correct time.

Currently I’m not sure if I want to continue with the campaign with all these problems.

If I’m doing something terribly wrong, than tell me. Than I will apologize for what I have written up here.:music_whistling:

Edited by GumidekCZ

Hey GumidekCZ,

First of all, thanks for the feedback - all thoughts are always welcome, let's try to break this down one by one.

- Radio mode selector knob: I will check it, if it is indeed a bug, I'll talk to RAZBAM guys and will ask that they fix it. This is crucial for this campaign, which is very heavy when it comes to radio use.

- Data selector knob: haven't noticed that, but then it is not campaign specific, more a module issue. I will fly this mission tonight and see if I can confirm these.

- Fuel tanks: there is no way for mission designer to remove fuel from external fuel tanks, and this is the configuration you would use for a ferry flight. This is an internal DCS limitation, and all I could have done was to remove the internal fuel almost completely. Though I never had trouble matching speed with the tanker :)

- TACAN offset. As lead says, he had some INS trouble on the way and this is a precaution. This campaign is all about multitasking and staying with the jet while doing so - and I think that is the most difficult part of it. It is meant to be realistic in this regard and from the feedback I got from people flying military jets for their job (and civilian planes too for that matters) it serves this purpose well. Which means you have to learn how to stay on top of your flight plan, radio comms, navigation, formation flying, giving orders to others, listening to what is being told, manipulating onboard instruments etc. at the same time. This is all done on purpose .

- Inbound Charlie: if DCS was working correctly, your INS should stop working by now and that call would make it easier to navigate. Failures currently don't work, even though they are on the DCS bug list. I implemented this part hoping that it would be fixed, but it wasn't... though in my opinion that is not a huge deal.

- Mission score =0 that is normal. There are two things: results (which should be 100 and is set up by the mission creator) and score (which will be 0, as you only get score for things you kill during the mission. Mission creator has no control over this one).

- Radio triggers. I will fly it tonight and check. If you are on top of things, you should be fine. Bear in mind that sometimes you are asked to do something (like change frequency) and confirm with Space Bar. If you take too long, then things will overlap, as the flight is in formation and is bound to break it at a given time, so yeah - things can get desynchronised if you're not fast enough.

Please don't get me wrong - but reading through the comments it looks to me that most of the issues are user - induced because of over- saturation with tasks. This is in a way intentional, I wanted to make the first, normally boring mission, put pilots on their toes. And later on when combat is also inivolved, it gets worse (but also much more gratifying when you manage to accomplish what you are asked to do).

May I ask if you have flown the training mission 10 for Mirage in NTTR, which is designed to prepare you for this campaign? If you haven't, I strongly suggest that you do. Perhaps replay mission 1 after that, knowing what is expected and try to be more on time. I assure you that once things start to work nicely together, it is really a fun experience.

Hope this helps, happy to offer further explanations - and please don't give up. This campaign is hard, and not because of insane number of opponents thrown at you, but number of things you have to do in the pit on top of fighting. Which is as it looks in real life as far as I know.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

B.D. I have say huge thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate it really much. I will also try to fly it once more.

I flew the mission 10, but 8 month before. Your missions are not difficult for me, but I get easily confused when things dont make sense for me.

If it was really the chair-keyboard problem, you can delete this whole toppic. I dont want to spread negative words, which are result of purely my faults.

Written in MSN01 description:

"After getting the sign from your tanker, you will start to break away from formation and make your way to the tanker in sequence listed in DATACARD. Then you will report one by one overflying IP Charlie, tune to Tower and request landing in sequence. PLAYER will contact Approach and acquire the clearance for himself and for CHEVY". ??Chevy??who are they?

I’m still confused by reading instructions and what really happens in mission. For example, after the Coton flight departs from formation with KC-130 towards the Charlie, Im told to contact Approach as Coton Flight overflying Charlie. Why? I’m Berger, not Coton and certainly I’m not over Charlie with 2 minutes separation. I’m still flying towards brake point.

-Last time I flew this, I delayed any Approach call until departing Charlie, so may be this messed the triggers.

Also:

"you will start to break away from formation and make your way to the tanker in sequence" ??what??

Because you are in charge of the whole flight. You are leading it but landing last (to avoid AI issues) and you are in charge of comms with Approach to announce the whole package.

Hmm.. the Chevy might be a typo, yeah - funny nobody spotted it so far :) Kudos for reading the instructions carefully!

I'll fix these typos, thanks for that. There shouldn't be more like this later on.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

... If it was really the chair-keyboard problem, you can delete this whole toppic.

Please, Baltic Dragon, don't do that .. as other users could maybe encounter the same situation and your response was quite enlightening :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB