Worth upgrading CPU?

Currently have a fairly new pc with the following specs. I recently upgraded the videocard from the 980ti and although saw a 20fps improvement, I was surprised it wasn’t more. Running ~ 45fps with most details on high now but some dips into mid 30s. Thinking my CPU might be the bottleneck now? Any thought about what (reasonably priced) CPU upgrade to consider and what likely performance increases I might get as a result? As an aside, I play in VR using the odyessy+ only.

I7-6700k OC at 4.4ghz w/ z190 gaming 3 MB

32mg of 3000hz ddr4 (4 sticks)

2080ti black edition w/ evga waterblock

Nvme m.2 500gb SSD

250gb sata SSD

2tb hdd

Custom 360mm water loop with cpu and gpu

750watt corsair gold psu

I7-6700k @ 4.5ghz

Gigabyte gaming 3 motherboard

32gb 3000hz ddr4

EVGA 2080ti black w/ hydrocopper water cooling

360mm custom water cooled loop for CPU and Vid card

500mb nvme ssd

256mb sata ssd

2gb hdd

Samsung Odyessy +

TM warthog stick & throttle

MS ff2 stick

Worth upgrading CPU?

You “might” see a 15-18% improvement upgrading to a 9900K based on IPC (Instructions per cycle) gains for single threaded performance. Cpubenchmark.net has charts for synthetic benchmarks.

It isn’t an apples to apples comparison, because synthetic benchmarks are not 1:1 comparing to a specific game workload, but you can get an idea of what to expect.

You will get the most benefit tweaking settings and dialing things back until you get the performance you are comfortable with.

You might want to consider wiping your system and installing Windows and drivers from scratch (or running a driver cleaning utility). Going from a 980ti to a 2080ti should net more than 20fps.

TLDR: If you want absolute max performance, and are willing to pay for an incremental improvement, you will see gains, but it won’t be night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SVgamer72

that's great news 2 years after release that the 6th series is surpassed by 7th and 8th and 9th gen dies ( basically ALL the same ) with that much more IPC. IIRC, it is less than 2%, what matters are the cycles here, not the IPC.

The one thing that did also improve is Ramp-Up time. With 7th gen or later you wont notice Energy Settings for the CPU anymore.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thinking my CPU might be the bottleneck now?
Sure, makes sense. I don't know if you insist on buying only Intel or also get AMD but the new Ryzen series is around the corner and in about a year or in quarter four of 2019 the new Intel 10nm gets released which should get you a performance boost. I'd stay away from any 6700K to whatever newer Intel CPU upgrade before 10nm comes out unless you really have the money lying around right now. 1 year is passing fast.

Currently have a fairly new pc with the following specs. I recently upgraded the videocard from the 980ti and although saw a 20fps improvement, I was surprised it wasn’t more. Running ~ 45fps with most details on high now but some dips into mid 30s. Thinking my CPU might be the bottleneck now? Any thought about what (reasonably priced) CPU upgrade to consider and what likely performance increases I might get as a result? As an aside, I play in VR using the odyessy+ only.

I7-6700k OC at 4.4ghz w/ z190 gaming 3 MB

32mg of 3000hz ddr4 (4 sticks)

2080ti black edition w/ evga waterblock

Nvme m.2 500gb SSD

250gb sata SSD

2tb hdd

Custom 360mm water loop with cpu and gpu

750watt corsair gold psu

Maybe, delid the beast.

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.