[TRACK NEEDED] Pitot heating trouble?

Lixma 06

While cruising around at appx. 4-5k I noticed my airspeed indicator was reading low. I assumed it was icing and after a bit I descended. At this point I began recording the video below. The ASI then fell to zero but soon rebounded back to life.

You'll see me in the video looking for something to push, pull, or twist to get some heat into the pitot. I now know that it's one of the circuit breakers but as can be seen in the video the appropriate CB is pushed in - hence this (possible) bug report.

I don't recall damaging the wing during the flight and I don't think anybody hit me. I'll do some further tests.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I can confirm this....

9A67vFs.gif

During the landing approach the airspeed indicator shows the whole time about 400 km / h and after the landing and at standstill then still 300 km / h as seen in the GIF.

In my case, it will probably be icing. It is a winter mission. But should not pitot heat work here too?

Edited by birkenmoped

But should not pitot heat work here too?

It should, if the corresponding CB is switched on. If it doesn't, the heater is broken.

This could be a bug, or perhaps a mismanagement issue. You should never switch the heater on for a long time if you're stationary, because there'll be no airflow through the tube and the heater coil can then overheat and burn out. Anyway, I've never experienced this myself and I fly winter missions regularly; but then, this bug may only pop up under certain specific circumstances I just haven't experienced so far. So who's to say really?

EDIT: right, you said this was during a landing approach and then while standing still on the tarmac. Not a user error then it seems...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i experienced same thing. this happened twice in low temperature setting in burning skies server(-2C ground temperature). at 4-5 km altitude, i read 700 km speed, descended while cutting power, for two minutes speed didn't change. then i read 400 km, but it felt like stall speed. and cb for pitot heating was on all the time.

i experienced same thing. this happened twice in low temperature setting in burning skies server(-2C ground temperature). at 4-5 km altitude, i read 700 km speed, descended while cutting power, for two minutes speed didn't change. then i read 400 km, but it felt like stall speed. and cb for pitot heating was on all the time.

you know that pitot can get frozen even if heating is on. if humidity is very high and temp is low

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

you know that pitot can get frozen even if heating is on. if humidity is very high and temp is low

It's possible that pitot tube is frozen thus the reading is faulty. But I don't know whether this is the cause of my experience or not.

I watched a flight video with ice forming on wings. Pilot used heater system and eventually it melted and flowed over leading edges.

Its a minor detail but a visual cue or effect for icing would be helpful.

It's possible that pitot tube is frozen thus the reading is faulty. But I don't know whether this is the cause of my experience or not.

I watched a flight video with ice forming on wings. Pilot used heater system and eventually it melted and flowed over leading edges.

Its a minor detail but a visual cue or effect for icing would be helpful.

it happen to me couple of time in dcs that my pitot got iced during rapid descent form high alt but pitot got better after a while. i know from RL that one airliner got all pitots iced i dont know how many are on bouard airliners but all of them got iced resulting i fatal crash.

But at the same time it could be game bug

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor