ssd drive question

No, OS on one SSD, Games/Apps on another is a good way to go.

Edited by ShadowVonChadwick

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

No, OS one one SSD, Games/Apps on another is a good way to go.

Would a partition suffice?

I will be getting the 970 Pro, M.2, 1 TB, plenty for OS and a few games.

Motherboard will probably be the Asrock Phantom 9 which has 3 M.2 slots.

Edited by HotRod87

EVGA 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA - 99000k - 32gb 3200 14-14-14-34 - ASROK Phantom 9 - EVGA 1300W - 970 EVO Plus 1TB [X2] - Noctua D15 - Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 [X8] - Asus PG349q 34" 3440 x 1440 @120hz - Oculus S - EVGA D87 Case

I wouldn't bother fluffing about partitioning the drive and 1TB is more than enough for OS and DCS. Putting DCS on a second drive is more a personal choice maybe if you had smaller SSDs.

Besides as I understand it partitioning your drive.will add more overhead to the file system for no real benefit.

YMMV :smartass:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I wouldn't bother fluffing about partitioning the drive and 1TB is more than enough for OS and DCS. Putting DCS on a second drive is more a personal choice maybe if you had smaller SSDs.

Besides as I understand it partitioning your drive.will add more overhead to the file system for no real benefit.

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

+1 on the no partition. It made sense in the old days with limited MBRs etc. But nowadays, there' no real need for it. I'm excluding the partitions that are useful like recovery partition etc. But those are done automatically when you install Windows or other backup software.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

:thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

@ Demon_ Merci. :) :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I've never experienced any adverse performance effects from partitioning. 1 good reason to partition is so you can isolate the OS and programs/data from each other. Sooner or later there will be a crash you can't recover from. Regular backup images of each partition allow you to restore The OS to a recent, known good state without having to reinstall all of your programs and vice versa. On my own system, I let small, trivial, insignificant programs go wherever Win wants to put them, but large, complex programs that are not easily replaced live on a separate partition. In my case, that partition is also on a separate hard drive. I make regular, independent backup images of each partition on each drive to yet another drive whose only purpose is to host backup images. In the event of a failure (everything fails eventually) I can have everything up and running, just like it was, in around a couple of hours max. At least as it was at the time of the last backup, which is why that needs to be done regularly. At worst I'll need to reapply a few updates to the OS or a few programs, but I won't have to rebuild my entire system, which, in my case, would require at least 2 solid days of doing nothing but that. I highly recommend isolation and compartmentalization of OS, programs and data and regular backup images of each partition and drive to a separate dedicated drive.

That used to be the best practice and made a lot of sense. Today, though, the benefits are marginal, at best. Just the partition failing is so rare that I've never heard of it. OS corruption does happen, enough so that it's not a surprise when it happens. But Windows recovery allows you to reinstall w/o nuking the disk these days.

There is *not* downside to what you're suggesting. Modern day PC doesn't slow down nor get faster with multiple partitions. And unused space of few hundred GB is not a big deal. You do need plenty of space for the OS partition because the next upgrade may require 20-40 (who knows?) GB to make room for backout, the actual upgrade etc. But again, the decision is 50/50. I mean every modern Windows has three partitions already (EFI, OS, and Recovery). Adding one more won't make a difference either way.

So net/net, pick whatever method you feel more comfortable with.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1