RVV-AE Tips - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
Frostie
Veteran

As GG says, head on example you launch at 30km give 30seconds to impact, not accurate but easy conversion.
Frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #12
turkeydriver

Lobbing used to be critical in long range engagements. AIM-54 and AIM-120C have it built in. You don't want to shoot for the stars when your target is in the weeds but you can lob the missile and extend its range by launching it near limits of the radar scan. I don't know what the vertical scan movement limits are on the MiG-29 radar, but if your target is dead on- then do a gentle pull and release the missile 10-15 degrees above your target. Keep in mind this is best used for pure intercepts against non-maneuvering targets. Long-range shots against fighters who know you are there are little more than an annoyance. A simple break is sometimes all you need to destroy the radar lock before Pitbull, and by the time you are tracked again, the missile doesn't have the range after adjusting to the new intercept angle. Modern missiles and radars have logic and software to mitigate this as much as possible, just don't know about the Russian side of things.
turkeydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
FlankerMan

Okay, thanks for all the tips. I guess my current plan of action is to launch at a significantly higher altitude and speed (emphasis on altitude, and only as much more as I can actually manage) than my target, and to keep it locked the entire length of missile flight, even if I have to turn away to avoid a missile (which may result in losing lock, but at least it still has a chance of hitting). One more thing: how do I engage two targets at once?
FlankerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:06 AM   #14
///Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerMan View Post
Okay, thanks for all the tips. I guess my current plan of action is to launch at a significantly higher altitude and speed (emphasis on altitude, and only as much more as I can actually manage) than my target, and to keep it locked the entire length of missile flight, even if I have to turn away to avoid a missile (which may result in losing lock, but at least it still has a chance of hitting). One more thing: how do I engage two targets at once?
As it stands in game speed is more important than altitude in extending your missiles range. Of course having both is better. But the emphasis on speed. You only need to keep it locked till pitbull. With the new INS in the last patch this helps as well if you need to turn away prematurely.

With regards to engaging 2 bandits, you need a wingman!

www.51bisons.com

51st TS 96.43.128.170

Last edited by ///Rage; 01-13-2018 at 12:09 AM.
///Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:41 AM   #15
PeaceSells

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rage View Post
With regards to engaging 2 bandits, you need a wingman!
You can launch two R-77 simultaneously at two different targets using the radar TWS2 mode (track while scan 2). I just don't remember the exact procedure, but I remember it was simple.
Core i7 4770 3.40GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 2GB, Intel DB85FL motherboard, ASUS VG248 monitor 144Hz 24" 16:9, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS and TFRP pedals, TrackHat Clip Kit, Razer Deathadder mouse @1000Hz @1000DPI, Windows 10 64bit
PeaceSells is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:44 AM   #16
///Rage

I seem to recall it doesnt work properly. Also R77 has very short range. Getting that close to 2 (competent) bandits will get you killed.

www.51bisons.com

51st TS 96.43.128.170
///Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #17
Frostie
Veteran

TWS2 works but is a very poor in comparison to the F-15s TWS, locking is a process of waiting for auto acquisitions to occur (not as quick or efficient as designating with a TD) then if the target is jamming the lock drops and TWS resets back to normal scan mode, even at burn through.
After all that you don't get the benefit of TWS not giving launch warnings, a lock or launch in TWS2 alerts the target in the same way an STT lock does.
TWS2 can have its uses but is basically more trouble than it is worth.
Frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
FlankerMan

Okay, I think I've got it. So, speed is actually a touch more important than altitude? One more thing: is it possible, in the MiG-29S, to tell how many chaff/flares are left?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #19
FlankerMan

How come the R-77 is so short-ranged? And, how come it's not as good as the AMRAAM? One last thing: I have a book that says the R-77 can go 80km, when the in-game encyclopedia says 50km, and the actual range is more like 25km. Why all the difference?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #20
Robin_Hood

There are a lot of ways to measure missile maximum range, that will give vastly different distances. This is why a simple statement of missile range without more information is pretty much useless. You can measure different things, and from different launch configurations.

(for example, Wikipedia gives 57 NM range for the AIM-120C ; I wouldn't advise you to shoot at a target that far in DCS !)

Last edited by Robin_Hood; 01-14-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Robin_Hood is offline   Reply With Quote