FCS Reset with wings folded.

Hello everyone,

I noticed that when reseting the FCS with the wings folded, no Xs appear on the FCS page.

From NATOPS :

FCS RESET button - PUSH

If the wings are folded, verify aileron Xs are present.

Also, the FCS BIT Test will not start with the wings folded, now this seems logical but when i unfold my wings, even minutes after i pressed the buttons, it will start on it's own, is this intended ?

Cheers,

Rex.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Was about to report this too. The FCS treats the ailerons as connected even though they aren't.

Also for me the FCS bit actually starts if I initiate it with wings folded but it gets stuck in a loop. It's still WIP I suppose, not sure if it's a legit bug or the underlying systems are simply not finished yet - right now you can do a lot of things with the aircraft that should normally tear it apart.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this possible? I’ve seen YouTube videos of people doing the bit test with wings folded, but when I try it starts but never completes. Last night I was actually able to brick the fcs doing the bit test. The slats were stuck in a weird position and stick inputs wouldn’t do anything.

Edited by BIGNEWY
TITLE

• ED Team

Hi

Reported internally already

FCS issues with wings folded.

ailerons should stay X'd after FCS Reset

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 years later...
On 6/24/2018 at 9:13 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi

Reported internally already

FCS issues with wings folded.

ailerons should stay X'd after FCS Reset

thanks

Hi BIGNEWY,

Can you please finish this simple fix before official release of the Hornet ?  We have been waiting for this fix for almost 3 long years.   

Also please put X's on Channel 1 and 3 for PROC (processor) on conditions specified on page I-2-59 of NATOP.  And when FLAP is on AUTO, BLIN codes should be cleared out by pressing FCS RESET and Paddle Switch simultaneously.  Thank you for keeping our Hornet the most authentic F/A-18C flight sim in history 👍.

• Like 1

I understand that it’s still a work in progress but Talking about FCS...

A review Posted by a real F/a-18 hornet pilot @FightsOn 3 years ago... mentioned some issues still present .

« 1. After the first engine starts, and the generator comes online the TEF’s are completely X’d out. Normally the TEF’s are not completely X’d out in the real jet, as they are extremely redundant. Most the time it’s a LEF, Rudder, Aileron or combination thereof that are X’d out. In addition, the control surfaces that are X’d out across all available channels still respond to stick input. That’s only accurate for the horizontal stabs, which have a mechanical backup. All other surfaces should be unresponsive if totally X’d out. In the case of the ailerons, if one is X’d completely, and the other is not, the X’d aileron will remain in it’s pre-start position (down) and the good aileron will fair to an AUTO position (0 degrees). This is why often you get asymmetric ailerons during startup in the Hornet and Super Hornet. Once the pilot doean FCS Reset, both ailerons will snap to AUTO and then deploy symmetrically to match flap switch position.

2. The ailerons should lag behind the flaps during both extension and retraction. They move roughly half the speed of the TEF’s. Currently they deploy at the same speed as the TEF’s which is inaccurate. In addition, rudder toe-in occurs too quickly. It should be a smoother, slower movement.

3. During control wipeout, the flaps in AUTO should operate differentially to assist the ailerons in rolling the aircraft.

4. Real world the FCS IBIT takes 42 seconds. Currently 15 seconds is modeled. The surface movements that aremodelled are accurate, but there is generally more timebetween movements of individual surfaces, and there is more testing of the stabs and ailerons.

5. FCS Exerciser is currently modelled identically to the FCS IBIT. They are different though. The exerciser should run through flight controls through 20% of their range of motion for 10 cycles in 20 seconds, then stop.

6. FCS IBIT currently will run with NWS engaged. In the real jet, if NWS is on, and an IBIT is initiated the display will flash RESTRT and will not run the BIT. Disengaging NWS will fix the issue. Post FCS IBIT there are A LOT of BLINS. Real jet typically has none.

7. The stabs move to 12 degrees too quickly when TO Trim is pressed. Against, slower and smoother.

8. Up aileron travel is incorrectly reduced when the flaps are set to HALF or FULL. The ailerons retain their full range of motion even when the flaps are extended and the ailerons droop to match. »

Edited by med-taha
  • Like 5

I reported this "8. Up aileron travel is incorrectly reduced when the flaps are set to HALF or FULL. The ailerons retain their full range of motion even when the flaps are extended and the ailerons droop to match. »" long, long ago. 

First the thread was locked, then i provided pictures, then I wasn't believed anyway, and finally it was deemed low priority. Lol. 

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• 5 months later...

As the title says i wanted to point out some features that aren't implemented in comparison to the real aircraft. So in FCS an FCS BIT related stuff i have found a lot of problems when o try to follow the NATOPS manual to start my plane. Most of these problems are related to FCS and FCS BIT. Luckly i found bug posts from 2018 that already stated this problems. The thing is that this posts are totally forgoten by devs, which in my opinion is bad because we are talking about a main feature of the aircraft the FCS and not a fancy weapon which its operation time doesnt match with our hornet.

Please devs take a look at this bug post https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/180980-fcs-reset-with-wings-folded/?tab=comments#comment-181007 and fix the remaining issues with this system. Having FCS modeled correct it's important if you want to release the hornet as a finished product. 

Thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still suck at Carrier Landings

For me trim doesn’t help it makes the Hornet worse on landing

I PIO in roll a lot on landing

Also the extremely slow response of the F404

I know engines may take up to three seconds to spool up but the response of the 404 concerns me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

2 hours ago, ruddy122 said:

I still suck at Carrier Landings

For me trim doesn’t help it makes the Hornet worse on landing

I PIO in roll a lot on landing

Also the extremely slow response of the F404

I know engines may take up to three seconds to spool up but the response of the 404 concerns me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier landings are fine for me just trim the E and dont touch it more along the recovery. Its all about throtlle control.

I just posted this because i want the virtual aircraft to simulate as accurate as posible the real one.

Seeing some key aspects are still not being fixed in almost hornet release is concerning.