Does trim work as it is supposed to?

SnapRoll

I think a joystick program which disables AP hold channel input when stick force is outside of a small box automatically would make flying very smooth and natural. Do you think Kamov would design it this way? If spring tension of artificial feel device is >0.5kgf to "right" then AP channel will not set any more input in direction "left".

Many Soviet aircraft autopilot systems are built this way. Maybe Kamov forgot?

• 2 months later...

New guy here so bare with me please.

It seems like the trim is affecting the helicopter and not the stick.

Say I'm in a stable hover with 10 degrees of left cyclic.

I push the trimmer and instantly neutralize the cyclic.

The helicopter should remain in a stable hover.

But what happens is; the stick goes to neutral and the helicopter goes into a 10 degree left back as if it was level and someone but in 10 degrees of bank.

Tying trim and the autopilot together was one of the strange decisions done on the ka-50.

which makes it unlike any other aircraft in DCS.

this frooglesim vid helped me get it straight in my head.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Wish I knew how. I'm sure it"s simple. Just haven't done it before.
When existing a flight, in the briefing window, there is a button 'save track' or something. Click it. The track is saved in '\saved games\DCS...\tracks'.

So just start a flight and do your thing, then do the above.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Flingwing... think of the trim button as allowing you to pick up the trim (button press), move it with the cyclic, rudder and collective, then set it back down in its new location (button release).

The process is this...

Press trim.

Fly aircraft using cyclic, rudder and collective to the new flight path you want (turn, elevation change, hover, slide... anything pretty much).

Release trim and then immediately center the cyclic and rudder and leave the collective alone.

This is with the trimmer mode set to default and rudder trimmer on and I don't use a FF joystick.

Quadg - Not really...

Not only is it the way the KA-50 works IRL but the reason seems to me to be that it allows the aircraft to be more effectively used by a single pilot. Basically... think of the trim as you giving flight instructions to a pilot while you are being a gunner. It's like you, as the gunner, saying to the pilot "Hey fly this arc by the AO while I shoot the living heck out of everything I see... I'll let you know if I need you to change...". It's quite smart IMO...

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Thanks guys!

Not only does it work it makes sense!:clap_2:

For me; Hold trim down, (get use to holding trim down), apply control inputs, when the helicopter is doing close to what I want, release and center everything.

I spent an hour just hovering with it trimmed::D

The 6 minute mark on Frooglesim's Youtube Black Shark Mastering the Trm did it for me.

Rudder trim- on

Default and Central Position Trimmer Mode worked fine.

Joystick without spring and FFB- had some trouble with that one.

Wish I got Black Shark 10 years ago. Didn't have the money. Oh well..

• 2 weeks later...

Not only is it the way the KA-50 works IRL

See, I'm not sure about that. I like to think that I'm proficient at flying the Ka-50 and that I understand the AP system quite well, but the heading hold still seems incredibly stupid to me. As you probably know, the Mi-8 has a solenoid in the pedals that disengages the AP heading hold when engaged and sets the new heading as trim heading when disengaged. This is the one thing bothering me about the Ka-50 trim. I get that you should trim while you're flying a turn, but when you do that, you're still fighting the rudder AP with the full 20% force maybe a second after you've released the trim. It doesn't make sense that the AP would try to hold a heading in a turn. In fact, I strongly doubt that there isn't a system like the Mi-8 one in place on the real Ka-50. Maybe, at the time of its development, ED even knew about it and just couldn't figure out how to implement it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It took me a while to figure out the Trim in the Ka-50.

Especially when using it in conjunction with the Rudder.

Before you can change the trim behavior for the rudder, you much neutralize the pedals the same as with the stick in order to prevent Adding more trim from the current position (which thinks it centered or neutralized).

I found this difficult because I always had my feet on the pedals and held them as necessary throughout a turn. If I didn't take my feet off the pedals before trying to reset or adjust the trim, I usually ended up crashing.

For me it was easiest to simply Disable the Rudder Trim in the BlackShark DCS Options.

That way I can steer wherever I want when I want regardless how my Stick/Cyclic was Trimmed.

SnowTiger:joystick:

You won't be fighting the rudder trim if you hold the trim button when actively flying.

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)