Record on/off

oldpop

What I found out! I found that the MP flights are automatically recorded, kinda! in the Multiplay folder the (see pic).problem is it is external view only of all a/c, except the "player". :(

So that is not the answer to "how to record an MP mission".

PS I can't find the MP debrief file, if it exist!

Edited by oldpop

Oldpop I will try my best to help, so forgive any parts of this post which are already obvious.

1 - In real life, those switches would activate a video camera(s) on the real jet, to record things like heads up display footage, TGP footage etc (like we sometimes see on news reels)

2 - In DCS (as someone mentioned) they do nothing, they are simply to accurately recreate the cockpit model, and the fact u can flip the switch back and forth is also purely cosmetic.

3 - If you wish to record your F18 flight, there are 3 methods. I shall list them

Single player

a) Track file. After your flight finishes and you quit (to menu, not desktop) you will see a mission summary screen and there is a "watch replay" and "save replay" button. Clicking save replay creates a track file, allowing you to watch the flight back (and re-take control of it at any time). This is a useful way to practice getting out of a situation instead of constantly replaying the easy 15minutes it took to get there (see replay/fast forward control)

b) Fraps/Nvidia shadow play etc - this is very different from the first option, and has nothing to do with DCS itself - before you start DCS you would load up a screen video capture software - If you have an Nvidia graphics card - you already have one - called shadow play - see nvidia icon -> geforce experience. What this does is record as a video file, what your monitor is showing you - if you fly VR - you will still record what 1 eye sees as is shown on the monitor.

c) Tacview - this is a seperate application (search tacview) that integrates very well with DCS (and several other flightsims) and constantly records several vital pieces of data from any and all mission objects - including aircraft, land units, weapons etc. It won't bother recording things like the external light settings, but will record everything like speed, height, AoA, weapon launches, and is very useful to assess any sort of combat situation where you might be looking to improve, see growling sidewinders youtube channel for great examples of this.

Multiplayer

a) Trackfile Is (optionally? someone chime in) saved in the same way as single player, although there may be a time delay (to prevent cheating). It will be in a multiplayer folder when searching for replays, and records a couple times a second or so, all the information about all the players and mission units - much like single player - although u cant retake control for obvious reasons.

b) video capture - just the same as single player

c) tacview - just the same as single player - although a 15min delay is enforced as standard and can only be reduced IF the server ALSO HAS tacview installed, and the server admin manually reduced this limit - to prevent cheating, and avoids forcing server admins to buy/install tacview - the 15min delay is automatic.

So assuming you did something really great and want to show it off from every possible angle (again see growling sidewinder showing off his kills in slow motion from 2-3 angles) you would firstly:

1) save the track file, in game, (save replay) after the event finished

2) load up the same track file - to replay it

3) fast forward to the event, choose the camera angle you want, and hit the hotkey to start video recording ( recording your monitor) until the scene is over. Hit the hotkey to stop recording

4) jump back to step 2 and repeat until you have every angle you could dream of.

remember when in replay (or single player) you can pause, live pause, slow down & speed up replays. Many youtubers will [left alt] + Z a couple times to get slow motion missile launches /dodges etc.

PS to get the "camera zoom effect" (not just moving camera closer) you press [right ctrl] + (numpad) / and * - makes for some nice dramatic shots.

I hope this somewhat helps you, or anyone else.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

Thanks again for all the inputs.

My intent for the use of a recorded MP flight is to help train others in a/c systems and tactics.

I want to be able to "see" what a wingman "sees" in his cockpit.

Understand track files and other recording systems, just attempting to use program systems to the fullest.

I don't think ED would make switches "active-moveable" and assign keystrokes to a switch unless there are some plans down the road to use it ( like the ECM rotor sw)

Just have your wingman (or yourself) screen capture and voila - you’ve got what you need sir. You can then post to YouTube or whatever you want.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Just have your wingman (or yourself) screen capture and voila - you’ve got what you need sir. You can then post to YouTube or whatever you want.

Cheers,

Don

That's what I do recording everything from start to finish, SP and MP. I'm still using old Fraps or OBS on occasions. Sucks one way or the other since I always fly in VR.

I've reviewed and saved track files but have 2 questions.

From FoxxyTrotty

a) Track file. After your flight finishes and you quit (to menu, not desktop) you will see a mission summary screen and there is a "watch replay" and "save replay" button. Clicking save replay creates a track file, allowing you to watch the flight back (and re-take control of it at any time). This is a useful way to practice getting out of a situation instead of constantly replaying the easy 15minutes it took to get there (see replay/fast forward control)

At what point can you 're-take control' of the flight; when I play the track I can't even turn my (with TrackIR), I can only change my F(1,2,3, etc) views.

Do you need to 'Save' the file first before and then reload it to 're-take' control?

Please advise, thanks...

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC