[CORRECT AS IS] Cannot read symbology on moving map

tmansteve

As the great and powerful Khabib Nurmagomedov once said: "This is number one bullshit".

It should be implemented better.

Boeing listened, that’s why the block 2 super hornet got new displays with white instead of green symbology. Pilots thought the old ones were to hard to read.

It’s actually implemented so well, we have the same problems with it that RL pilots do.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Boeing listened, that’s why the block 2 super hornet got new displays with white instead of green symbology. Pilots thought the old ones were to hard to read.

It’s actually implemented so well, we have the same problems with it that RL pilots do.

It's not a white vs green issue. HUD and DDI font in the hornet needs improvement. The rendering is making it very hard to read (visible easily when you switch to night mode). They added an option for VR users to project the JHMCS differently than it is done in real life. Making the font easier to read (optionally) won't hurt the sim.

We're taking the performance hit of another viewport , but without any benefit . Seems like a reasonable sim-vs-reality compromise to me to make the map readable .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Afaik it's like that irl, which is why most pilots don't use the moving map.

Not having the moving map once you're used to it is practically an inflight emergency. ;)

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Not having the moving map once you're used to it is practically an inflight emergency. ;)

Don't quote me on that, it's something I remember watching a long time ago. During an interview, a Hornet pilot said that some pilots would consider aborting the mission if the map had a problem. Seems a little extreme, so he may have been referring to the HSI or INS though.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Pretty sure IRL the TAMMAC uses high quality DOD charts. What ED needs to do is implement the contrast rocker. Most pilots don’t turn off the TAMMAC, they just turn the contrast down quite a bit so you can read the SA page. You’re not looking at it to read numbers and stuff - you’re glancing at it for general terrain features like bodies of water and mountains.

Edited by dobroDude

Pretty sure IRL the TAMMAC uses high quality DOD charts. What ED needs to do is implement the contrast rocker. Most pilots don’t turn off the TAMMAC, they just turn the contrast down quite a bit so you can read the SA page. You’re not looking at it to read numbers and stuff - you’re glancing at it for general terrain features like bodies of water and mountains.

That. It works perfectly fine in the A-10C, for example.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Just curious, were you around before the DMS when it was the old RMR tapes?

Yes, sadly I hate to admit I was. But not for too long. When the new digital maps showed up, it was like Moses parting the red sea. Angels sang..... ;)

Still though, the film cassettes were (usually) better than nothing. When they worked.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Yes, sadly I hate to admit I was. But not for too long. When the new digital maps showed up, it was like Moses parting the red sea. Angels sang..... ;)

Still though, the film cassettes were (usually) better than nothing. When they worked.

Haha. That’s cool. Just wondered if anyone around here remembers not having that...or gogs...or FDL. Hell, I feel old too now. Sounds like we got to the airframe about the same time then. :beer::beer::beer:

• 2 weeks later...
Haha. That’s cool. Just wondered if anyone around here remembers not having that...or gogs...or FDL. Hell, I feel old too now. Sounds like we got to the airframe about the same time then. :beer::beer::beer:

I'm really dating myself because I recall we didn't even have the AIM-120 SW tape yet during the FTU at Luke.