Standard Formations for the Mirage?

Andrei Dragovic

I have pulled the Mirage out of the hangar lately and am curious what the standard formations are for this jet as used by the AdA.

More specifically, I have two questions:

1. What are the formations, their spacing and reference points. I.e. what are the AdA equivalents of:

- Fingertip/Parade

- Route/Cruise

- Tacform - Line abreast/Spread, Fighting Wing/Fighter Wing, Echelon/Deployed Echelon etc.

2. What the procedures and reference points for Rendezvouses? (For US aircraft the reference points are always to superimpose the outer wingtip on the vertical stabiliser, but I don't think that works for a delta wing...)

Thanks in advance.

"Lawyer by Profession, Pilot by Heart...and self-confessed Harrier tragic"

Equivalent of Fingertip/Parade is called PS for Patrouille Serrée

Tac formations are

- FMO (Formation de Manoeuvre Offensive) which is the equivalent of Tac Wing i would say, with a 0.2/0.3 Nm range between lead/wingman. Mostly used by M2000D for low altitude, not that much in Air-Air combat

- FMD (Formation de Manoeuvre Defensive) is the equivalent of Line Abreast mainly used for Air-Air Combat

Rendez vous are always done in the following sequence:

Etagement - Retrait -Ecartement

Etagement is done by putting lead slighty above horizon, then you close in on 45° angle on lead to reduce Retrait and finally you settle for Ecartement

I don't know the reference points.

Jojo might come around and give you a more detail answer :smartass:

I would love to have more details also :thumbup:

Equivalent of Fingertip/Parade is called PS for Patrouille Serrée

Tac formations are

- FMO (Formation de Manoeuvre Offensive) which is the equivalent of Tac Wing i would say, with a 0.2/0.3 Nm range between lead/wingman. Mostly used by M2000D for low altitude, not that much in Air-Air combat

- FMD (Formation de Manoeuvre Defensive) is the equivalent of Line Abreast mainly used for Air-Air Combat

Rendez vous are always done in the following sequence:

Etagement - Retrait -Ecartement

Etagement is done by putting lead slighty above horizon, then you close in on 45° angle on lead to reduce Retrait and finally you settle for Ecartement

I don't know the reference points.

Jojo might come around and give you a more detail answer :smartass:

I would love to have more details also :thumbup:

If you don't mind, could you tell me where this info comes from ? It's very interesting :).

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

If you don't mind, could you tell me where this info comes from ? It's very interesting :).

A part is taken from the book L'ARMEE DE L'AIR EN ACTION from Henri-Pierre Grolleau

Another part is from having done a Stage Patrouille Serrée here: https://www.air-combat-experience.fr/

I was flying with a former Jaguar pilot (+4000h, and 4 years in the Patrouille de France) and he teached me how to handle rejoin, hold formation, crossing under and even fly some FMO during simulated Pop Up attacks. A former 2000N pilot was in the lead plane and was giving us hand signals and wing check signals

We have done also some BFM :pilotfly:

A lot of fun i can assure you :D

Edited by Steph21

Also... pardon my French :D

Close formation (Patrouille Serrée / PS)

1/ Vertical spacing (étagement): The #2 must see both the extrados (upper surface) and the intrados (under surface) of the leader's wing

2/ Fore and aft spacing (retrait): The #2 sees the leader's engine nozzle as an elongated oval

3/ Lateral spacing (écartement): The #2 aligns the leader's wingtip (nav light/EW antenna) with the scoop just above the root of the wing.

++

Az'

spacer.png