[Once more] ATC

Lange_666

After a bit of a break i returned to fly the Viper.

And then i stumbled on ATC "again".

Me: Ready to taxi

ATC: no response

Me: after a bit of a wait: Ready to taxi

ATC: after a long wait all of a sudden: Ready to Taxi to RWY 27.

Me: (in silence) Taxiing to RWY 27 threshold.

Once there:

Me: Ready to take-off

Me: Looking, left and right, no inbound traffic (also not on the map)

Me: after a bit of a wait: Ready to take-off

Me: What the hell, i'm taking off.

Once i'm on the runway.

ATC: You can't be cleared for take-off (or something similar)

And then few seconds later when i have stopped on the RWY...

ATC: You are cleared for take-off...

Me: hugh...:music_whistling:

Its been like this since ages. Isn't it time for a change?

To ED: I'm at the point where I am willing to pay to a decent ATC module.

So instead of developing aircraft after aircraft, what about an ATC module for a change?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

That's what they said years ago. It never happened.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I know that so what's your point then? Bored?

Some day when we are all dead...

It's been far too long.

Too many modules, and far too less attention

to issues like this one of the ATC.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

ATC upgrade I believe would come after the supercarrier module according ED.

Do not mean to be selfish here having gotten my favorite aircrafts modules now, I will be happier right now to get features like ATC for carrier and airfield. This would really make dcs world beefier than it is and it would definitely drive sales

Yes, efforts and resources geared towards the simulation environment.

Anxiously looking forward to the Supercarrier with all those animated aircrew, LSO and carrier communications.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Hopefully, an update on the progress of the Super Carrier and ATC will be mentioned in the next Weekend News posting.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

ED should make an intelligent and situational limited AI for different tasks:

- ATC

- GCI

- AWACS

- JTAC

- FAC

- Ground units

- Marital units

- Air units

Have the AI modular, so each AI that is assigned for specific group and specific unit is running as own threads. Each is required to communicate to others to transfer information. Meaning that if one AI doesn't have a radar, it can't see what is happening around but the AI that has radar can. And then if the AI with radar is responsible to contact others when situation calls, there needs to be a delay between the units to simulate the communication transmission.

This would essentially mean that every airport has own ATC that doesn't know anything about others unless they directly contact the other ATC and request the information passage over radio or they do not have datalinks etc. A AFC needs to create contact with the aircrafts over radio by the protocol, and AFC needs to first receive the targets and situation from all ground units leaders first and have time to generate the task that then to issue to the aircraft on station. Others are that AFC can give the radio frequency for the pilot to let them contact directly the ground troops and they will initiate the connection by the protocol and then have requests told over radio directly to pilot by the visual aids (2km to east from a crossroad, right side of the road, 300 meters from the RED smoke) and other landmarks like town names, bridges, hills etc. It is then the pilot task to work out problems.

With ATC there should really be far more demanding work for the pilots to obey them and get the valuable information and all.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 7 months later...

Seems ATC took another nosedive recently. I think it's on a brink of extinction.

I understand it is in development, and I am sure it will be an improvement once released. However I am not holding my breath.

In 30 years of flight simming I have never seen a decent ATC implementation.

I understand as an ATC by profession my bar is probably higher than most, but developers always get fundamental things wrong. I can only assume this is because they try to emulate a rather narrow functionality by using simple scripts.

What I would love to see.

• ATC that is aware of other aircraft - after all separation is the entire purpose of ATC
  • Proper CTZ/CTR boundaries /entry exit gates as opposed to calling inbound at some random location. (don't care if they are real world accurate just be there)
  • ATIS (with QNH not QFE)
  • Bin the engine start request - this is rarely required
  • Correct phraseology.
  • Separate APR/TWR/SMC/Finals etc

The Supercarrier comms are a good step forward but still a long way to go.

Did you experienced the ATC in that other sim we can't talk about ? All the points you've mentionned are there, so I assume this is not an impossible task for ED to implement it someday in DCS.

3rd Wing | 55th Black Alligators * BA-33

Εις ανηρ ουδεις ανηρ

They clearly told that it is not in near term list. So you gotta learn to be your very own act for very long time

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Was there actually an announcement on whether that ATC upgrade is supposed to apply to all ATC in general or will mostly be a more involved 'special ATC' for the supercarrier?

Yes ED will overhaul the ATC for airfields at a later point. There was a roadmap as well for future features:

Projects that are in the passive development phase (waiting for a 3D model delivery, developers allocation, reference gathering stage or one of the current active project to be finished first):

DCS Core:

Damage Modeling for modern aircraft

Airfield ATC

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=269757

ED talked about ATC on 2020 and Beyond Newsletter

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4168367&postcount=233

Airfield Air Traffic Control (ATC)

Another AI task that we will kick off in 2020 is a new implementation of ATC radio communications for airfields. This will be a more realistic and complete ATC system to account for ground, tower, departure, and approach controllers, as well as account for variables that include VRF/IFR and overhead/straight in.

We will be working with subject matter experts to ensure that this new ATC system is a valuable addition to DCS World immersion and enjoyment.