What Module Aircraft is your Hardest to Land ?

Igor4U

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do my top three for conventional aircraft. My conventional modules are the Yak-52, P-51D, Spitfire, F-86, M2000C, F/A-18C, AJS-37, and A-10C.

#1 Hardest to land: Spitfire. No roll trim. Constant rudder trim adjustments. Massive pitch-down moment when flaps are deployed. Maxed out nose-up trim to compensate for the flaps. This makes it a handful in the pattern. The 3-point flare isn't too hard to learn, but tipping a wing still happens a lot, and your feet will get a workout on the landing roll.

#2 Hardest to land: P-51D. The roll trim, more effective pitch trim, and a weaker pitch-down moment with the flaps makes pattern handling much easier than the Spitfire, though there's still a lot of rudder trim adjustment. My problem with the Mustang is the touchdown. No matter how gently I try to grease the tires, I will always bounce a good 10-20 feet in the air. It's like trying to land on a trampoline.

#3 Hardest to land: F-86F. I almost tied this with the Mustang. With speedbrakes out, gear down, and flaps down, the plane refuses to lose airspeed unless I cut throttle to idle or near idle. Pitch is so unstable that just maintaining straight-and-level flight is a task requiring a Zen-like state of mind: One minute I need to keep forward pressure on the stick to maintain 0fpm on the VVI, and the next minute I need to keep aft pressure on the stick despite having a constant airspeed and throttle setting. The pitch trim is horrendous. One tap nose-up, and I'm climbing at 4000fpm. One tap nose-down, and I'm diving at 2000fpm. It's nigh impossible for me to fly a good pattern. Once stabilized on final approach, landing is relatively easy, except for the lack of rudder authority and finnicky NWS when you rollout after touchdown.

Of my VTOL modules, AV8B, UH-1, and Mi-8:

#1 Hardest to land: Tie between the AV8B and the UH-1. The AV8B is easy to land in FNSL or RVL, but it's very unstable when trying to do a VL. Pitch seems to be most unstable, as trying to keep the Witch Hat on the horizon either manually or with trim is extremely difficult. Throttle work is also difficult, as I can't seem to set the throttle precisely anywhere between 88-96% RPM. It's either 88%, or the next millimeter of throttle movement sends me to 96% RPM. The UH-1 is just twitchy in general: It's like trying to fly with Tourette syndrome. Its one saving grace is that it's hard to get into VRS.

Edited by Nealius

Elysian Eagle you mind sharing you puma setup for everything I haven’t found the best setup yet

As in the controls? The "best" setup is what works best for *you*. As such, there is no "best" setup that works for everyone, and I would be the last person to claim my configuration is "best".

I bind microphone/PTT, cargo hook/unhook, cargo door open/close, side door open/close, etc to buttons that seem convenient for me.

I also use the "multiplier switch" on the collective as a "master mode" button: take-off/landing, civilian, combat.

Perhaps this will help you:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

P-51 easiest of all modules to land.

F-86 by far the hardest.

Ironically, for me, P-51 is hardest takeoff and F-86 is easiest takeoff.

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

Hardest anything that does not have a rotor on top, although I have managed to land the YAK. :thumbup:

Out of the heli 's the KA 50 presents some difficulty and only because of the lack of near field vision from the cock pit in the KA 50 otherwise all heli 's are easy to land. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

It's the Mi-8 for me, but mostly because I'm currently slumming it with a twist stick.

Do your self a favor and get pedals at the very least, also collective and cyclic and VR if you don't already have. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

For me the Spitfire is the hardest. Getting it off the ground is hard, landing it nigh on impossible. I was so bad that I stopped flying the Sptfire so I could build up my skill level in the Mustang first ,which is much easier. I am currently flying the Harrier and have got STOL landings pretty much sorted, VTOL though is more of a challenge even on a large airfield let alone a pitching ship at night.

The Mirage which I have flown the most hours in is lovely to land. I have now mastered the art of taking off, performing a single half loop over the runway and landing immediately. The trick is to use the drag of the delta wing at high alpha to bleed off your speed. No idea if this is realistic or possible IRL but its a fun challenge as is landing it (and stopping without the chute) at Echo Bay on NTTR.

Plastic

Plastic

• 8 months later...

Hard Spit

For me the Spitfire is the hardest. Getting it off the ground is hard, landing it nigh on impossible. I was so bad that I stopped flying the Spitfire so I could build up my skill level in the Mustang first ,which is much easier.

Plastic

Hardest Plane to Land in DCS World - Lots said it was the Spitfire

Wow - They weren't Kidding !

First of all:

Flying Final Approach from inside the Cockpit (for me) was originally Impossible because I couldn't see the Gauges (Airspeed & VVI) at all. Maybe the real Gauges were optimized for Night Flying and Pilots relied on them less during the Day (VFR).

But not being able to see them at all (without zooming in within Inches) in normal daylight illumination is Bogus - I don't believe for an instance that Spitfire Pilots couldn't see their Instrument Panel Gauges.

These Threads document and provide a Fix for the Problem.

Spitfire gauges illumination

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=224765

Spitfire High-Contrast Cockpit Gauges

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302602/

Second:

Even with raising my Viewing Point to help see over the Nose, staying Faster than called for Final Approach Speed (to Lower AoA), and flying a Steep 5

Degree Glide-Slope, it's still difficult to Keep the Runway Airpoint in Sight. Guess I need to stick my Neck out to the Side and fly a Curve-linear Approach all the way to touchdown.

DCS: Spitfire LF Mk. IX - Taxi, Takeoff, and Landing - Producer Note Tutorial

Comment - Even with Continuously Turning Base to the Threshold - he still Loses Sight on very Short Final and has nothing Visually to rely on except Peripheral Vision for Height above Touchdown. He was shooting for a smooth almost Three-Point Touchdown and does make a very Nice Landing.

Third:

The Narrow Wheel Base make it easy to Teeter-Totter making perfect Wings Level touchdowns essential.

All adds up to one Finicky Bird to Land. Maybe 1,000 Landings from now I'll be Better. :pilotfly:

341366420_AimpointisUndertheNose.thumb.jpg.ca5cf681a5bfb8e88801b16976a31bed.jpg

Edited by Igor4U
fix TEXT spacing

Edit: Since people are including helicopters, I'd say they've all gotten consistently easy, but the easiest would be the Black Shark, and the hardest would be the Mi-8, only because it takes forever to slow down, and a much more deliberate, calculated approach, due to the more pronounced dangers of VRS.

The Mi-8, and the UH-1H Huey, are by far the hardest to land, being conventional helicopters (I don't have the Gazelle, but it's probably a handful too).

Everything else is a total milk run compared to the helicopters with tail rotors. Even carrier landings :)

AD

Nah, most people just go too fast when trying to land helos. Gaz is probably the easiest of em once you actually tune down the controls.

Mig21 is ok, just remember to land FAST and at high throttle.

Harrier landing is generally ok once you get the hang of it.

Honestly I think most planes are too easy to land, I land HARD in a lot of them and I think I should be breaking stuff, I think hard landings are undermodled in a lot of planes (esp f18/f14).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The mustang is such a sweetheart to land. I'm honestly surprised to see her mentioned so much. I suspect that's because you guys are adjusting power too much during the final approach and/or flare.

Remember, control your airspeed with your pitch and control your landing point on the runway with power. You should have your glideslope pretty well worked out right after the turn to final approach... maybe even during the turn if you're really dialed in. If you look close during your final approach, you can tell where your touchdown point is because it's the only spot of terrain that isn't moving at all. If you can get that touchdown point set right on the numbers at about 1/2 mile out with the right airspeed (which you should have already dialed in during downwind), then you will only be making very fine adjustments to the power and pitch for that last bit of flight to the final flare (which means minimal torque and/or p-factor issues from power changes).

I usually flare with ease to a landing on all three wheels with no bounce at all, then cut power.

Edited by HawkEXO

I find the hardest helio to take off and land, without useing the cyclic, is the Mi-8, followed by the Huey, then the Shark followed by the Gazelle.

The Spitfire was definitely the biggest headacke landing, until the Harrier came along and I still can't crash with any dignity onto the Tarawa, so I gave up.

Maybe the Hermes will be better.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..