How to work out distance given by ATC?

bunraku

The distance given by ATC in DCS is the distance and heading to the initial where the final approach starts. If you arrive there at an altitude within the limits specified on the approach chart and turn to the runway heading you should be nicely aligned for landing.

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

I think it's more a rough value, as ATC calls you again when you enter a certain radius, where you should be able to see the runway. Otherwise, you would have to quickly calculate with your ground speed for how long you have to fly that direction

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Is there a way to quickly create a Mark Point that bearing and direction from my location when the course is advised?

Quickly i don't think but if you fancy playing with the CDU you could try setting a mark point on your current position (say it's 'A') and then use the OSET (OFFSET) page to make a second mark point exactly on the specified heading and distance from the mark 'A', but that's a lot of work for just a visual approach. I think you're best going off the TACAN readings or, if the base doesn't have any, just make a mark point in the middle of the runway using your TAD EXP modes and use the distance from there as reference

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

I have a solution after watching a video. I create a mark point once I face the direction required. I have my Flight Plan Dial set to Mark and the Mark Point will show on the HUD. I then see the distance bottom right on the HUD as I fly away from the Mark Point.

The typical solution I use that works for pretty much all planes is to set the Tacan for the desired Airport, set the course on the course ring to the same heading as the runway at the airport, and then just follow the direction given by the ATC until the Tacan signal direction and the course overlaps with eachother.

Then you just turn onto the course and you should be lined up for the runway.

I turn to the heading and hit mark on the ufc. You pull up that mark as a waypoint. If you like you can set the heading bug on the hsi. Then I setup my tacan and ils. I use the rough figure of a ten mile final. For tacan approach thats 3000’ at the turn. I adjust the alt accordingly as i approach the turn so that when I roll out I am 300’ for each mile to go.