Getting a good start and tips regarding PC specs? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #11
Demongornot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingVamp View Post
Thanks a lot for your huge effort Demongornot! I know it may be a copy/paste, as I'm definitely not the first one, exited, to start up with DCS after have seen some awesome plain or YT video ^^ But yeah, there is definitely no easy way around.

I think I will combine that with a handfull of youtube Videos, as I have never realy been a very bookwormish person, and learn best through pictures and How To, videoes. But it has definitely given me a lot of tips for what to search for and a good approach! Thanks!
Your welcome, and well I actually wrote it for you, I haven't been active for a while on this Forum, and I may still be consider as the guy with bad English who complained about everything about DCS
I am glad this motivate you to start virtual flying, well you can still just spawn an aircraft in the air and learn yourself, but you won't know what really happen and you might get some misconception about some things, so better learn properly.
As you say, this isn't a tutorial by itself, this is just a list of what to learn, I think you are more than qualified to find those informations by yourself, and you can choose from what support you want to learn (video, images or text) with that, I tried to list every important point/things that you might miss like Trims or PAPI that beginners probably ignore while this is an important thing to know !

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, yeah, we have a similar setup, and I think I just start with trying out the Free Planes for a starter, and see how that handles, with and without VR, before I even think of upgrading. But it feels good, with a confirmation, that it will at least run

My setup is fine:
and yes, I also got a set of rudder Seiteks

Guess my only concern is my patience (tbh, though I just could jump in F-16 and do the ingame tuts, and after a couple of months be fine). Think I take Agg advice and try the F-5E, just to get my feet wet, else I probably die of boredom

But thanks for the contribution, to everyone!
Your welcome, yep, it would be sad if you were to upgrade a rig which is capable to run DCS with the settings you want, I hope you are not prone to motion sickness, and if you are, you better prioritize performance (FPS and fluidity) over visual quality, personally when I got my Oculus Rift I still had my old HD7970 Lightning BE which was quite potent in his time but not for VR and I ran DCS with around 15 fps, but I was still able to fly like a maniac without getting sick, while other person might require at least 45 fps or more to avoid motion sickness, so there is no definite settings/rig to have, it all depend.
If you want to use a monitor, you might want to invest into a TrackIR or cheaper option (homemade version) or webcam face tracking software.

Rudder with brakes axis are a must have, it is like the clutch and H shifter in Sim Racing, I personally have the old Saitek PRO Flight Rudder.

The A10C and Hornet are the best option to get ready for the avionic of the F-16C, but the F-5E is really good at giving you a taste of modern US style cockpit and fighters world and aircraft with afterburner.
But honestly, the more module you can buy, the better it will be anyway, tho you won't have the time to master many modules before the F-16C Beta is out, but even if you love the Viper, from time to time you might want to try out another aircraft, but you just need to listen to Dos Gringos to quickly get back to the Viper spirit
Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Last edited by Demongornot; 06-26-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Quote fail
Demongornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
xvii-Dietrich

@Demongornot : Really appreciated that write-up. Lots of good advice.
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #13
FlyingVamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongornot View Post
Your welcome, and well I actually wrote it for you, I haven't been active for a while on this Forum, and I may still be consider as the guy with bad English who complained about everything about DCS
I am glad this motivate you to start virtual flying, well you can still just spawn an aircraft in the air and learn yourself, but you won't know what really happen and you might get some misconception about some things, so better learn properly.
As you say, this isn't a tutorial by itself, this is just a list of what to learn, I think you are more than qualified to find those informations by yourself, and you can choose from what support you want to learn (video, images or text) with that, I tried to list every important point/things that you might miss like Trims or PAPI that beginners probably ignore while this is an important thing to know !

Your welcome, yep, it would be sad if you were to upgrade a rig which is capable to run DCS with the settings you want, I hope you are not prone to motion sickness, and if you are, you better prioritize performance (FPS and fluidity) over visual quality, personally when I got my Oculus Rift I still had my old HD7970 Lightning BE which was quite potent in his time but not for VR and I ran DCS with around 15 fps, but I was still able to fly like a maniac without getting sick, while other person might require at least 45 fps or more to avoid motion sickness, so there is no definite settings/rig to have, it all depend.
If you want to use a monitor, you might want to invest into a TrackIR or cheaper option (homemade version) or webcam face tracking software.

Rudder with brakes axis are a must have, it is like the clutch and H shifter in Sim Racing, I personally have the old Saitek PRO Flight Rudder.

The A10C and Hornet are the best option to get ready for the avionic of the F-16C, but the F-5E is really good at giving you a taste of modern US style cockpit and fighters world and aircraft with afterburner.
But honestly, the more module you can buy, the better it will be anyway, tho you won't have the time to master many modules before the F-16C Beta is out, but even if you love the Viper, from time to time you might want to try out another aircraft, but you just need to listen to Dos Gringos to quickly get back to the Viper spirit
I appreciate every f word of your mouth! You are a true French Gentleman, sir!

One thing I'm confused by though:

What does it mean that This version is not compatible with Steam? Does it also mean, Im not able to play it with Steam VR?

There is probably a way around, right?
Old 06-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #14
=Panther=

Quote:
I appreciate every f word of your mouth! You are a true French Gentleman, sir!

One thing I'm confused by though:

What does it mean that This version is not compatible with Steam? Does it also mean, Im not able to play it with Steam VR?

There is probably a way around, right?
Just means that you can not load the module into Steam if you manage your games via steam. If you have DCS World as stand alone, you won't have any issues including using Steam VR.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Twitch Channel
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, JetSeat, Oculus Rift cv1, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC
=Panther= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #15
FlyingVamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Panther= View Post
Just means that you can not load the module into Steam if you manage your games via steam. If you have DCS World as stand alone, you won't have any issues including using Steam VR.
Ah okay, like that!

Thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #16
Bedouin

Hi Dermongornot and FlyingVamp,

I have been in the community on/off for a long time, and now been away for almost 2 years. Now i want to come back in and start up again, and this thread was just perfect for planning my return to DCS and the upcoming Viper!

So thanks a lot FlyingVamp for the thread and Dermongornot for the helpfull answer, this is one the thinks there makes me smile everytime i come to DCS forums, people are serious in friendly and helpfull way..!

Hope to see ya in the Vipers or just in the skies..
Bedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #17
Zeagle

What possessed you to go and start squeezing buttons on the stick? Did you yank on the eject handles too?
Zeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #18
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeagle View Post
What possessed you to go and start squeezing buttons on the stick? Did you yank on the eject handles too?
Oh relax, the Jet was off. Its pretty much expected when they let people have a sit in the cockpit.

Proud owner of:
Deltasim Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade.
Real Simulator FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick

Looking Forward To:
PointCTRL VR

My Screenshots
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #19
=Panther=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeagle View Post
If the aircraft is set up in a way that allows average joe access to the cockpit, great measures are put in place to prevent any stupidity, including making the seat cold.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Twitch Channel
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, JetSeat, Oculus Rift cv1, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC
=Panther= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:36 AM   #20
ReaperB

Looks to me like the image was pretty close to the ground. I'm guessing he was actually in an egress trainer. The quick pan of the camera looked like someone standing right next to the pit.
ReaperB is offline   Reply With Quote