Little Sydney Trip...

R1Lawsy

Hey All,

So, due totally to DCS I am chasing my private pilots license. Went out to a local airport (Camden) in Sydney and flew a piper around for an hour or two. When we landed an L39 showed up and i got a quick look at it. Apologies for the crap photos - i drink to much to buy a decent phone as they are on high rotation. Its an amazing nimble little aircraft. Some pics attached.

So they do joy flights and i got home to tell my boss i am doing all the overtime available so i can do 40 mins in it. As i have the module and have taken the time to learn it, it will be interesting to see if its familiar at all.

On another note, having flown only in VR before yesterday i can tell you DCS does help. It felt natural and I landed the 4th touch and go with the pilot hovering over the stick but little bit of rudder and a long runway and it was awesome. One thing the pilot said that is true is sim guys tend to look at the instruments a lot, i did for rotation speed, climb etc and he told me to stop looking down and judge the decent and speed via feel alone.

Took a real effort to do so. Now i will be poor again until i can fly haha...

be a little while before i can afford a run in the L39 but will keep you posted.

BTW- the owner has TWO of them!

Cheers

James

DSC_0013.thumb.jpg.c51773a84b47ee7741a5f302d85cbfc7.jpg

DSC_0014.thumb.jpg.8fd6c5fd32a4203314d98816fba9af2c.jpg

DSC_0020.thumb.jpg.a37062753d1e4140072bf50640121fa1.jpg

Hey All,

So, due totally to DCS I am chasing my private pilots license. Went out to a local airport (Camden) in Sydney and flew a piper around for an hour or two. When we landed an L39 showed up and i got a quick look at it. Apologies for the crap photos - i drink to much to buy a decent phone as they are on high rotation. Its an amazing nimble little aircraft. Some pics attached.

So they do joy flights and i got home to tell my boss i am doing all the overtime available so i can do 40 mins in it. As i have the module and have taken the time to learn it, it will be interesting to see if its familiar at all.

On another note, having flown only in VR before yesterday i can tell you DCS does help. It felt natural and I landed the 4th touch and go with the pilot hovering over the stick but little bit of rudder and a long runway and it was awesome. One thing the pilot said that is true is sim guys tend to look at the instruments a lot, i did for rotation speed, climb etc and he told me to stop looking down and judge the decent and speed via feel alone.

Took a real effort to do so. Now i will be poor again until i can fly haha...

be a little while before i can afford a run in the L39 but will keep you posted.

BTW- the owner has TWO of them!

Cheers

James

I probably went up in that L39 or that was the one in the hanger being worked on. Got some stick time in it and it was an awesome experience. A quick way to blow a couple of grand. :thumbup:

<edit>

BTW After doing a trial introductory flight in a Robinson I tend to fly both the Huey and Gazelle by the seat of my pants so to speak.

They also run a YAK 52 which is fun as well and if I get back down that way I think they also have a Jetranger. ;)

Edited by FragBum

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I probably went up in that L39 or that was the one in the hanger being worked on. Got some stick time in it and it was an awesome experience. A quick way to blow a couple of grand.

<edit>

BTW After doing a trial introductory flight in a Robinson I tend to fly both the Huey and Gazelle by the seat of my pants so to speak.

They also run a YAK 52 which is fun as well and if I get back down that way I think they also have a Jetranger. ;)

Fantastic - how was it? When you say stick time - did you get to manoeuvre a bit and how long did you go up for?

Sent from my G3125 using Tapatalk

Fantastic - how was it? When you say stick time - did you get to manoeuvre a bit and how long did you go up for?

Sent from my G3125 using Tapatalk

Well you only get the stick but yes followed the river for a bit did some rolls and general and a little flying inverted. nav and yes about 40~50 mins including warm up etc.

On the day I did both the YAK 52 and the L39 and both absolutely fantastic the thing that got me initially was just the G forces unfortunately we couldn't do the loop in the L39 due to cloud level on the day but we did a dummy strike run on a dam structure forget topgun.

In the Yak the pilot for one section just pulled the stick back and got us vertical and as we lost speed that sense of weightlessness was both amazing albeit brief and scary as the Yak fell tail first but interestingly the Yak was a tame kitten just nose over a little and we quickly got airspeed again and did some more flying.

Currently planing to a couple hours in the R44 Cadet in August, damn expensive hobbies. :smilewink:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 1 year later...

If you guys are ever in the Sydney area pop down to Wollongong Airport and check out H.A.R.S

Awesome place with some great aircraft there and growing everyday.

The Oz Flight Sim Expo will also be held there in Nov i believe.

Good story Lawsy, hope you get your license, dont leave it too long mate, for old fellas like me I left my run too late and now regret it. Although I do have DCS to help quench the thirst a bit ! The trouble is everything is expensive in Australia, you should think about doing a course in the States.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE