TrackIR - Stuttering under 120fps

I can assure you that the problem is DCS, and not the hardware or software. Trying everything, full reinstall, motherboard bios update, ......and I'm sure of me because ROF or Elite Dangerous, to name them, works great with TIR, despite the FPS fluctuation. Only DCS give me trouble.

From a logical point of view this is almost impossible as the vast majority of TiR5 users do not share the described stutter problem when panning the view left or right.

I have used my TiR5 on 4 different boards and 3 different CPU's, 2 set of RAM and had no issues with panning.

Try a different set of TiR if you can, rearrange the lighting on your room, use different USB ports, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, maybe even try a PCIe USB-Add-On card with decent controllers.

You could take your TiR5 to a 2nd PC, install DCS and TiR, and check if the problem moves with the device.

My personal tip and where I would start to invest time was the USB part, honestly.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

From a logical point of view this is almost impossible as the vast majority of TiR5 users do not share the described stutter problem when panning the view left or right.

I have used my TiR5 on 4 different boards and 3 different CPU's, 2 set of RAM and had no issues with panning.

Try a different set of TiR if you can, rearrange the lighting on your room, use different USB ports, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, maybe even try a PCIe USB-Add-On card with decent controllers.

You could take your TiR5 to a 2nd PC, install DCS and TiR, and check if the problem moves with the device.

My personal tip and where I would start to invest time was the USB part, honestly.

So I set my pre-rendered frames to 4, no change for me, except input lag, very noticeable, so i'm back to the default value.

@Bitmaster: unfortunately, I don't have a second PC or a PCIe USB card to test this. I think i test all things available, motherboard bios update, clean reinstall of Nvidia driver with DDU, all my USB ports, change the poll rate of my mouse, change the CPU priority for TIR driver, pray God a dozen of time...I think i'm done with this issue.It start when the move to 1.5 was done, it was perfect before, and i have absolutely 0 issue in my others sims. In the next few weeks, I plan to upgrade with the new Coffee Lake generation, I will see...

So, do you use FFB joystick at all? My mate solved that issue where Logiteh FFB was in conflict. Try also disabling FFB on DCS options.

From my experience - track clip pro no stutters, track clip was a bit slow with software 5.2 but I have not tried it since I bought clip pro.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

So, do you use FFB joystick at all? My mate solved that issue where Logiteh FFB was in conflict. Try also disabling FFB on DCS options.

From my experience - track clip pro no stutters, track clip was a bit slow with software 5.2 but I have not tried it since I bought clip pro.

HOTAS Cougar, FFB disable in DCS options...

• 2 months later...

i am having the same problem, without trackir the game run smooth, if using the keyboard to move around the cockpit everything is running perfectly,if enabling trackir and move my head lef/right it stutters as described by OP.

Is there a fix for thid?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Have you tried a different USB port for TiR yet ?

USB-Latency seems to be part of the problem.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

My old rig went up to 144fps and I had no issues with TrackIR5-Pro.

Maybe try a diff GPU driver, I had no real luck with anything that came past 368.81 ( http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/105033 ).

De-install the current driver with the newest DDU in SAFE MODE as described in DDU ( http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html ).

Good luck mate

Cool advice! what driver do u use ?

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

the only time i had judder with track IR was when i used the in game Vsync.

using adaptive vsync fixed it, option in NVidia control panel.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

the only time i had judder with track IR was when i used the in game Vsync.

using adaptive vsync fixed it, option in NVidia control panel.

always the newest one, checj here if your mobo vendor is behind with releases.

http://www.win-raid.com very good place for USB drivers , tho you gotta read and understand what you need and how to install.Knowing your USB's Hardware ID from Device Manager is a good start !

Avoid using hubs for now, I run 5 hubs w/o any issue but that is also more luck than knowledge !

Use a direct Port on your mobo's backplate...and try different ones if it needs to be.

and yes, get the newest TiR as well, a must to start with

• 3 weeks later...

I fixed the annoying MP stuttering by setting Adaptive vsync in Nvidia control panel.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Gsync, FreeSync, Adaptive Vsync...they all do wonders !

Glad you found it pal ;)

Hey folks.

Does anyone found in the meanwhile a proper solution for the problem ? Im hanging atm around with the same sort of problem. Everything works fine except the TrackIr head movement. I have at NTTR Nellis in the Multiplayer with around 10-20 Player (Acrobatic Server) a FPS around 70-110. But still Headmovement isnt feeling smooth as it should be.

I saw now for learning purposes a bunch of YouTube videos and everytime i start to cry when i see the guys having a flowty headmovement.

Unfortanetely im one of those persons who sees the different between proper FPS cause of the head movement and not cause of a number which is shwoing the FPS.

And everytime im asking myself why isnt my TrackIr5 as smooth as the ones from the videos.

I only have a 60Hz monitor with 3440X1440 solution. So i try to keep my FPS on a higher lvl. I know that VSync would give me a smoother behaviour when it holds the 60FPS and i dont get in trouble with a not synchronized FPS to Hz amount but sadly when i turn on VSync sometimes it throttles to 30FPS and this is a nogo.

My specs are a GTX 1070 8gb OC . A i7 7700k on 4.5GHz. with 32gb of Ram on Win10.

But its also for my system hard to handle high settings in DCS 2.2.

Maybe we all have kind of Bottlenecks in our system which schouldnt be for everybody the same. But how to find the bottleneck? Anybody out there who stood in front of the same problem and find a way to get rid of the bottleneck ?

Are the any tools to find a bottleneck ?

I saw yesterday a vido from hellreign82 who told something about Nvidia Inspector settings and the relation to the GPU usage. He showed that u can handle the AA via Nvidia and not the DCS. Therefore u get a reduction of your GPU usage. I was kind of afraid because my GPU usage is everytime at 100% and he showed that his GPU usage was normally at 70 and then get reduced by 20% to 50%.

Why do i have all the time 100% when other ones only have 70 or 50 or so ?

I know a lot of questions but im getting tired of having no smooth head movement. And i want myself to get more into DCS but with no issues , no stutter and no problems.

Maybe there are a few more guys/girls outside who have or had the same problem and also wants to get rid of it.

When your GPU has 100% LOAD, that is exactly what you look for ! This is the best-case-scenario ;)

If your GPU would only have a ~75% Load, something was wrong.

Ergo, your GPU is bottlenecking as your CPU and all the rest is fast enough to flood the GPU with enough raw data in time to spool up to full tilt Load, excellent !

A faster GPU will give more frames, until you end up with 95%->90%->85% Load, that will then be your CPU becoming a bottleneck --> OC towards 5G at that point.

The Track-IR thing..hmm I have no idea. Many have had it, some solved it. Try to read up the forum in that respect.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok atm i thing i nailed it to have everything fine. I tried many things but now its as smooth as it should be.

One thing which may help others with stuttering . Try to Disable SuperFetch. Its a windows thing which puts often used programs into your ram so that those things are faster avialible but also fills your ram with stuff u may not need.

Open windows command . Windows Key + R , then type services.msc, inside the list look for Superfetch. Then disable it.

But i also tried around with the nvidia inspector and pushed my GPU to its maximum with safe temps etc.

Now its possible to run it with Vsync and steady 60fps. Ok maybe sometimes its goes for 1sek to 45 or 30 but nothing where to worry about.

• 1 month later...

does anyone have a solution for this? If i get less than 120fps trackir would stutter, lets say I wanna play at 100fps stable, trackir would stutter!do anybody think a pci-e usb card would help?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

It must be an odd thing I bet. Something nobody ever thought of, like the Mouse settings, aka it's USB polling rate, 80, 200, 500, or 1000x/sec can make a huge difference on the USB. It also taxes the CPU more. Maybe check if your mouse has a too high pollrate.

Something with timing, sync, polling is the root cause, that, I think is very likely, just which one ?!

edit:

aka, pull your mouse while you fly, check the problem, if it is gone without mouse attached you got it. Plug mouse back in and redo it's settings.

I do remember this solved stutter for another guy some time back. It's also a well described problem on the net, mouse pollrate and USB saturation causing gaming issues.

I would also stop using MSI AFterburner and any other monitoring tool. Some of them DO NOT LIKE to run together, MSI Afterburner and Sonic Radar 3 is one of them, some monitoring

tools access quite a lot of chips on your board, every second or more often. This may cause issues too for one or the other setup and config. Keep it ultra sleek and onoly add 1 by 1, check, add, check, add..like that. At some point, the bad guy comes into the game.

Edited by BitMaster

i already tried with mouse unplugged but there is no difference, i also set it at 125mhz polling rate, still got same problem.

Long shot, try this out from past similar bugs

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1923833&postcount=230

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals