Mig-21 Lookdown-shootdown capable, Working as intended? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 04:10 AM   #21
Frederf
Veteran

Reputation power: 38
Frederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Frederf

I made a mission with a precision formation of 4 MiGs in front in a wall formation and played around with positioning and nose direction to see if I could just barely get all 4 to light up on scope.

Radar is neither pitch nor roll stabilized. I was getting left-right only one contact when doing roll changes of a few degrees when on the edge. Also it's not pitch stabilized, small pitch changes without repositioning would show-hide contacts.

The radar can look down about 2.7 deg from the nose but this equates to about 0.6 deg with a normal 1.5 deg AOA. The look up is about 15 deg or so from nose. Research suggests total pattern detection should be ~20 with 17-18 due to the center of top and bottom bar lines and a few more degrees simply because the main beam has some size itself.

Roll stabilization should be +- 80 deg or so. I don't know what it should do outside of these limits. If the complex nature of ground clutter can't be modeled it's probably best to just shut off the scanning picture beyond those roll limits (but not for track or fixed beam) so it can't be exploited.

The up, down, both marks are probably associated with individual scan bars. Say the bottom 4 bars might get the bottom mark and the top 8 get top (the bars that get both marks become the same alt mark band).
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote