Will the AI gunners fire, and how?

harf4ng

Hi,

In a training mission, we have to destroy ground targets.

But can we just fly the huey, and let the AI does the killing job?

I know we can switch position (don't remember how though) but I should admit that I'm afraid of crashing if I stop piloting the huey ^^

So, what should I do in that mission?

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

You’ll need to set eschews thee Operater, rt gunners, and lt gunners individual roles of engagement I believe there’s three or four options the you’ll also need to set heir fire rate long burst or short burst.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Before taking off then? Hard to setup something while airborne :)

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

No, you control the gunners behaviour inflight. You can tell each gunner (copilot, left doorgunner, right doorgunner) when they should fire (hold fire, return fire, free fire) and how (short bursts, long bursts).

There is a status indicator that you can toggle by pressing LWIN+H if I remember correctly. It shows you the status of the gunners and also the keys that you need to press to change their behaviour.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hard to do while still holding my cyclic, but I'll try :)

Thanks

Hard to do while still holding my cyclic, but I'll try :)

Thanks

Oh, yeah, I forgot: Just map them to your cyclic. I'm using the Warthog HOTAS and have just mapped the ROE commands on one 4-way switch (TMS) on top of the stick and the interval commands on another 4-way switch (DMS) just next to the first one. Otherwise, just use your left hand for the key combos as you don't have to hold the collective as much as the cyclic.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'll try to map all this to my cyclic and throttle (I have a komodo EC135 cyclic and a warthog throttle) as I fly in VR so cannot see the keyboard :)

Thanks

i have a button for rules of engagement. for each gunner.

and a button for close door. for each.

so four buttons on my throttle.

2x press of each ROE button sets them to free fire. and opens doors. (1x for return fire)

1x press of close door sets them to hold fire and shuts the door.

i rarely change the burst length. because on long burst they shoot at everything and run out of ammo.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• 2 months later...

If you don’t want to use your buttons up try voice attack

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 1 year later...

I have set the doorgunner in the Huey on "Return Fire" and "Short Burst" but they still don`t fire on enemy trucks. Does the enemy has to shoot at me first before they react? They also had a clean line of sight to the targets and I think I was close enough.

Ich benutze keine Signa...dingens..gedöns...

I have set the doorgunner in the Huey on "Return Fire" and "Short Burst" but they still don`t fire on enemy trucks. Does the enemy has to shoot at me first before they react? They also had a clean line of sight to the targets and I think I was close enough.

'Return Fire' means the gunners shoot when getting shot at but trucks don't do that. Set the gunners to 'Free Fire' and see how that works.

Edited by ams999

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

• 8 months later...

Another question regarding AI engaging targets. How do you get them to switch targets instead of shooting at only one. Other then setting the perimeter up for each ai gunner mention here in previous posts. What other parameters is required? Ie: altitude, distance.

Thanks in advance

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]