German Airfields

Are there going to be German airfields on the map, in the future? I flew from Dover over to "French Point", and then down the coast to Le Harve, and didn't see any.

If you fly a quick mission take off in a FW-190D, you take off from Caen.

If we are going to fly on the German side, there should be German airfields for us.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Any airfield can be set to either side, or am I not understanding your question?

Maybe I misunderstood. Far more likely, by the way.

I thought the airfields in Normandy were Allied fields, constructed after June 6th, with German airfields being in areas still under German control, but within the bounds of the Normandy map (such as Le Harve and fields east of there). And from where German aircraft would be flown to attack the Normandy beach head.

That beach head is a pretty crowded area to designate one field Allied and another German.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

• ED Team
Maybe I misunderstood. Far more likely, by the way.

I thought the airfields in Normandy were Allied fields, constructed after June 6th, with German airfields being in areas still under German control, but within the bounds of the Normandy map (such as Le Harve and fields east of there). And from where German aircraft would be flown to attack the Normandy beach head.

That beach head is a pretty crowded area to designate one field Allied and another German.

They are, its a small map. so it does make for tight quarters. But all airfields can be used for either side, creative mission design will make for good maps, obviously I cant see using all of them at once, maybe leaving some as unoccupied.

Also you can use the few in England as well for Allies, and use the ones in Normandy for the Axis, just depends on what you want to experience.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Evreaux was German wasn't it?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

The point he raises is very valid. The 'status quo' of the map design is set after the formation on the Allied beacheahd- with allied fighters in Normandy, Cotetin and off Course England. In such a scenario, Euvreux is the maps only German field. There were off course much more in real life, including Abbeville, Calais, and Le Havre as mentioned.

Without being historically accurate, the map could make for some good quick close playing air and land battle.

It's cool enough just being able to fly and battle over Normandy, I don't want to fly for 1 hour to get to the battle. I do understand if you want to build an accurate SP mission or campaign tho.

MP_Map.thumb.jpg.d6186ca4a2c569baa94a872f7b5bdb49.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Sometimes agao i search Google what Airfields was occupied by the Germans after Normandy Invasion.

So far only Evreux as Doom Mentioned was occoupied with JG 3 and JG 5 Squadrons, but they withdraw very fast around 1 Month only there because of heavy Bombardment by the Allies.

All other German Squadrons outside of the Map rember so far around Paris, Le Mans some Squadron.

So Evreux is the only Airfield for the Germans after D-Day.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Well germans had a few more strips held till July/August which would be suitable for inclusion, just to make the map more usable for non airquake and actual missions. It would be highly beneficial for mission design based around the Invasion if these airfelds were present.

These include:

Argentan

Conches

St Andre de-l'Eure

Marcilly la Campagne

Damville Creton

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Are there going to be German airfields on the map, in the future? I flew from Dover over to "French Point", and then down the coast to Le Harve, and didn't see any.

If you fly a quick mission take off in a FW-190D, you take off from Caen.

If we are going to fly on the German side, there should be German airfields for us.

Vinnie, I think your question is a bit vague.

Firstly ANY of the airfields on the Normandy map can be specified, by the mission maker as "belonging" to whatever faction thet mission make specifies. The one's in England can be set to "german" if the mission builder so pleases. There is total flexibility in this respect.

However, the question I suspect you are really asking is this:

1. How many of the airfields on the map, in France, were built PRIOR to the invasion (by the luftwaffe, or by the French and English prior to the evacutation of France in 9140)

Answering that question would require going through each of the bases shown on the map, and matching them up with this list of Luftwaffe bases in France: http://www.ww2.dk/Airfields%20-%20France.pdf

I suspect many of them will be on the list.

The remaning ones can then be assumed to be built by the allies as ALGs or other fields, post invasion.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Did I not read prior to release that "portable" airfields will be available, that can be placed on the map in the mission editor?

Maybe I'm mistaken - but that would solve this matter very easily.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I think barely any of these were german before and only one was active on D-Day.

Lessay was german but never active.

Carpiquet was german but not active in 44.

Maupertus was abandoned in May 44 and likely inactive since 43.

Evreux being the only active Luftwaffe field during the invasion currently on the map.

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Did I not read prior to release that "portable" airfields will be available, that can be placed on the map in the mission editor?

Maybe I'm mistaken - but that would solve this matter very easily.

ED did make some kind of statement to this efefct, yes. But talk on the subject has gone quiet. . . Additionally, it doesn't solve the problem of removing the ones that are on the map, which did not exist prior to the invasion. . . .

It'd also be nice to be able to "disable" any airfield in the M.E., which would then revert that piece of the map to the underlying textures and trees etc...

Here is some info on the allied airfields. Most of these were only in use during the Normandy campaign. The airfields that opened the latest date to 25. August 44 and the earliest closed airfields to 21. August 44. I have found nothing on Rucqueville, there is absolutely no trace of this airfield in any form. If anybody has a clue which ALG number it has or anything else Id be interested to know.

Maupertus Opened: 4 July 1944 Closed: 22 December 1944

Azeville Opened: 24 June 1944 Closed: 15 September 1944

Biniville Opened: 17 July 1944 Closed: 21 August 1944

Picauville Opened: 26 June 1944 Closed: 15 September 1944

Beuzeville Opened: 12 June 1944 Closed: 18 September 1944

Cretteville Opened: 4 July 1944 Closed: 5 September 1944

Brucheville Opened: 2 August 1944 Closed: 5 September 1944

Meautis Opened: 17 August 1944 Closed: 7 September 1944

Lessay Opened: 25 August 1944 Closed: 28 September 1944

Cardonville Opened: 14 June 1944 Closed: 1 September 1944

Deux-Jumeaux Opened: 30 June 1944 Closed: 15 September 1944

Saint-Pierre-du-Mont Opened: 13 June 1944 Closed: 5 September 1944

Cricqueville Opened: 16 June 1944 Closed: 15 September 1944

Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Opened: 8 June Closed: 25 August 1944

Chippelle Opened: 5 July 1944 Closed: 5 September 1944

Le Molay Opened: 30 June 1944 Closed: 5 October 1944

Lignerolles Opened: 18 July 1944 Closed: 4 November 1944

Longues-sur-Mer Opened: 26 June 1944 Closed: 4 September 1944

Sommervieu Opened: 22 June 1944 Closed: August 1945

St. Croix-sur-Mer Opened: 10 June 1944 Closed: 4 September 1944

Bazenville Opened: 11 June 1944 Closed: 28 August 1944

Lantheuil Opened: 27 June 1944 Closed: 30 August 1944

Carpiquet Opened: 25 August 1944

Edited by rel4y

Thanks Rel4y..

Makes you wonder who did the research for this map and what their decision making criteria was . . .

If we ever get a client-based map maker tool, then the playing commnuity can finally build historically accurate maps, seems that developers aren't too fussed about the idea.

I wish there were other fields a little further away, so we can give the allies fields near the beaches and the Germans fields further south and east. Were there not any German fields near the Falaise area? What about Le Havre?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

I wish there were other fields a little further away, so we can give the allies fields near the beaches and the Germans fields further south and east. Were there not any German fields near the Falaise area? What about Le Havre?

The active fields which are covered by the map are: (without satellites)

Argentan

Conches

St Andre de-l'Eure

Marcilly la Campagne

Damville Creton

A while after it's introduction, more airfields were added to NTTR. By the same token, the English airfields were added to the Normandy map quite late in the day.

It is entirely feasible that in order to maximise the potential of this new theatre, that more strips may be added at a later date if there is sufficient reason to do so. Items like Bunyap's research article will go a long way towards justifying demand for appropriate facilities for Axis forces involved in the theatre.

It would not require adding a lot to the detail of those outlaying areas, as long as the airfields are appropriately complete. The alternative would be air starting axis aircraft on the edge of the map area, but clearly, that isn't a compromise many of us would like.

Hopefully, ED would be prepared to add them, providing we go about things the right way, and don't do the typical thing of spitting out our dummies.

They do of course have a lot of work short and medium term in pushing towards the final release of Normandy, and the merger project, so perhaps we will need to show considerable patience in the short term.

One for Wags perhaps?

Without being historically accurate, the map could make for some good quick close playing air and land battle.

It's cool enough just being able to fly and battle over Normandy, I don't want to fly for 1 hour to get to the battle. I do understand if you want to build an accurate SP mission or campaign tho.

Maybe we are all talking about different maps. The map I am referring to is the one I can fly through. That one covers more area than the one above. And I thought that one would have a few airfields in still German occupied territory which the 109 and 190 would use. When attacking the beach head, where did they take off from? Which German airfields did Allied planes fly to, to interdict German activity?

TWC_SLAG

German Airfields that played active role are outside of the DCS Map Area.

Because when you look back in the history, all Luftwaffe Airfield in Range to the Landing Campaign are heavily punished months before.

That's why most of the Fighters rethreaded Land inwards.

On the 6 Juni 2 Fw-190 strafed the Landing Beach that was all, with a Radio Call "that's the most glorious Day of the Luftwaffe":D

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

On the 6 Juni 2 Fw-190 strafed the Landing Beach that was all, with a Radio Call "that's the most glorious Day of the Luftwaffe":D

Not true.

The LW was more active than just that one famous flight on D-Day. At least 9 LW units flew missions in the Normandy area.

German Airfields that played active role are outside of the DCS Map Area.

Because when you look back in the history, all Luftwaffe Airfield in Range to the Landing Campaign are heavily punished months before.

That's why most of the Fighters rethreaded Land inwards.

That would have been "Pips" Priller and his wingman.

TWC_SLAG

Caen, Cherbourg and Evreux are covering plenty of the map and can be used (as stated) but I think the issue is the sheer amount of temporary airfields that are on the map and for such a short time, it makes it a very precise use case. Plus some of these were concreted, which makes it feel very odd and temporary. I feel a bit bad asking the same question again but the temporary airfield design would have been much better, leaving out all the Allied invasions ones as a mission design option.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *