MiG-29 EOS Scanzone left/right not working - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #21
Schmidtfire

Id' say it is one of the biggest issues I have with the MiG-29. The R-73 Archer and HMS sight are the most important and well known weapon system of that aircraft. The very feature that was years ahead in the 1980s and still makes it a dangerous foe in close dogfights. I do expect FC3 aircraft to be a bit simplified, but the current HMS ring that locks and latches onto a target is very far from the system in real life.
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #22
Top Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtfire View Post
Id' say it is one of the biggest issues I have with the MiG-29. The R-73 Archer and HMS sight are the most important and well known weapon system of that aircraft. The very feature that was years ahead in the 1980s and still makes it a dangerous foe in close dogfights. I do expect FC3 aircraft to be a bit simplified, but the current HMS ring that locks and latches onto a target is very far from the system in real life.
I'm also an enthusiast of that kind of technological features.

(For example, I remember like it was yesterday the first time I saw something like Helmet Mounted Sights and such... in the 1983's "Blue Thunder", with Roy Scheider.)

For the little I know from youtube videos, isn't the MiG-29's HMS essentially a monocle lens with some kind of "cross" projected ?

Also, what other features does it have ?
HDD : WD 500 GB ( 7.200 rpm )
MoBo : ASRock H81 Pro BTC

Op. Sys : Win 7, 64 bit
Cooler : Noctua NH-U12P
Top Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #23
GGTharos
Veteran

The cross could blink etc to inform you about the status of the given sensor. It was quite useful, though I don't recall the details.
USAF/USN tried HMS back in vietnam or Korea, but given the sidewinder's limitations at that time (As well as HMS technology overall), it was deemed not useful.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote