FAO: Forum MODS (suggestion)

slicker55

Just an idea for your consideration...

'A dedicated Helios section'

When posting a Helios related question, there is often a disproportionate number of views to replies.

Sometimes there can be hundreds of views and less than 10 replies.

This may suggest the number of views would not have been so high had the reader realised the thread related specifically to a Helios issue.

I think a dedicated Helios section would be very much appreciated by all concerned but another approach might be to encourage users to include the word (Helios) in brackets at the end of the title.

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

Nothing against your suggestion at all. However, you should consider that the number of views includes every non-member that viewed the thread who don't have the ability to answer without first becoming a member.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks, I hadn't considered that but I still think it is a good idea because threads placed inside a specific forum area are more focussed and as a result only really attract the attention of those actually interested in that particular topic.

I can see it's a bit of a balancing act in that some people may glean valuable information from reading through ongoing dialogue within a given thread but then again, this is something they could also achieve by reading the same thread from within a specific area.

Being quite frank, if I post something I need help on, I want answers not views so the fact that non-members cannot reply is of no consequence to me.

On the flip side, if my idea is implemented, the countless number of admirable people who often reach out to help will be saved from reading each and every post when they may not have any experience in that particular field of interest and would have therefore not have taken the time to read it.

This is why I made the alternative suggestion that users could be encouraged to include something in the title to indicate a post relates to a specific issue e.g. (Helios). This is only relevant when there are so many topics which could come under a very wide banner (like input/output). Enforcing this alternative would be it's downside.

You may say the argument for a dedicated Helios area could easily apply to a load of other similar examples but with hardware becoming more affordable, the interest in touchscreen technology appears to be on the increase. Helios is at the fore-front of this technology but sadly, most users rely on other Helios users for support.

So, to sum up, it was just a suggestion for your consideration - no offence taken if you decide against it!

Thanks for a GREAT forum though, just one thing - it should come with a health warning... it's toooo addictive!

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]