F/A-18 flying with Wings folded? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 03:55 AM   #31
Oceandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
No doubt....free access, flies with wings folded.

Paid on first day of early access....get to watch people fly media access with wings folded.
+1
I dont know about how professional review looks like but Redkite's review was waaaay much better.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #32
Vitormouraa
Veteran

As many pointed out, you don't need the ailerons to take off and keep yourself in the air, you also have the elevators and rudders which can work together in order to roll left or right.

It's quite funny to see this kind of stuff actually.

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Vitormouraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:46 AM   #33
aceofspades9963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitormouraa View Post
As many pointed out, you don't need the ailerons to take off and keep yourself in the air, you also have the elevators and rudders which can work together in order to roll left or right.

It's quite funny to see this kind of stuff actually.
Fun fact about the ailerons as well above 400kts they reverse the control, aileron up makes the wing go up so to fix this they use the leading edge flaps to roll, at the beginning both left and right leading edge flaps moved together but after this was discovered they had to seperate the left and right LEF's to move independently and add an extra servo and switching valves in the left lex , you can really tell this was an engineering stretch when working on it its like a spiders web.
aceofspades9963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:03 AM   #34
David OC

If you did your checks correctly, wouldn't the Hornet warn you when you do the flight control check of the stick? You know that ditdo ditdo sound that's stuck in my head already,

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:11 AM   #35
Residual

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofspades9963 View Post
Fun fact about the ailerons as well above 400kts they reverse the control, aileron up makes the wing go up so to fix this they use the leading edge flaps to roll, at the beginning both left and right leading edge flaps moved together but after this was discovered they had to seperate the left and right LEF's to move independently and add an extra servo and switching valves in the left lex , you can really tell this was an engineering stretch when working on it its like a spiders web.
I haven't met many people that are aware of aileron reversal. You are correct that at the speed of sound the ailerons no longer move to control roll. I used to use that as a question for my new guys when teaching the maintenance manuals. It happens at the speed of sound.

Quote:
A1-F18AC-570-100 WP 15 page 11: An airspeed that is 50 knots or more under the reversal point results in maximum gain. The reversal point is an airspeed where the ailerons have the opposite effect on the aircraft. The airspeed at which reversal occurs is between 600 to 670 knots depending on mach number. At and above the reversal point the aileron command is reduced to zero.
Residual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:29 AM   #36
Jack McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Residual View Post
I haven't met many people that are aware of aileron reversal. You are correct that at the speed of sound the ailerons no longer move to control roll. I used to use that as a question for my new guys when teaching the maintenance manuals. It happens at the speed of sound.
I was about to comment... 400 kts, depending on pressure-altitude. Yes, Mach is the operative number.

This reversal is valid for any control surface and a similar thing happens in the engine exhaust duct, IIRC.
Jack McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #37
Residual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McCoy View Post
This reversal is valid for any control surface
This is true, but happens at a much higher airspeed based on fuselage bending, where aileron reversal is at a lower airspeed due to outboard wings having more flex. No logic is programmed into the flight control computers in the 18 for the other flight controls in regard to reversal.
Residual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #38
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor0024 View Post
F-4s and F-8s have done so as well, although not recommended.

What where the flight deck crew and catapult officer doing?

Look at this guy here LOL, he hasn't even folded down his wings. Oh well, lets launch this thing and see what happens anyway.

That's a lot of people to get past....Strange if true.... Awesome debrief tho.

"on May 10, 1966, LT JG Greg Scwalber and his RIO (Radar Intercept Officer) Bill Wood were launched from USS Roosevelt (CVA-42) and once airborne they discovered that their Phantom II was flying with outboard wings folded."

https://theaviationist.com/2014/02/1...-folded-wings/

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Last edited by David OC; 05-17-2018 at 07:00 AM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #39
Coxy_99

Well if the damage model is anything to go by but why would you do.this?
www: https://100kiap.hopto.org

[100☭] Coxy_99 #99

Follow me on twitch and youtube also: https://www.twitch.tv/coxy_99/profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLi...qEF8-UGWhwXD5A
Coxy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #40
gabgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouPhrontis View Post
Nice olde dit from some Navy pilots;

"Wings Folded
Richard (Dick) Green - VAN Team #3

A little over 50 years ago [....]
I also revised the Checklist a tad. "Wings Locked" was now No.l on the list. Also No.4 and No. 7. He took the needling graciously, though, and we never mentioned the "embarrassment" again."
Loved the story!