View Poll Results: Keep/Remove J-11A Datalink
Remove 192 64.00%
Keep 108 36.00%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #61
probad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor View Post
These are compromises that DCS has just sort of lived with because fighting to get them changed wouldn't be worth the effort.
no, i think it's a worse fallacy that you think bad examples should be perpetuated for the sake of a consistency that is not in line with dcs's core values.
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL

Last edited by probad; 05-16-2018 at 08:02 PM.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #62
Auditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
no, i think it's a worse fallacy that you think bad examples should be perpetuated for the sake of a consistency that is not in line with dcs's core values.
Okay, so why do those examples exist, then?

I think it's a worse fallacy to replace something unrealistic with something else unrealistic for the sake of feeling like you fixed something. That's not fixing anything. An actual fix would be to make an HDD that operates similar to the HDD in the J-11A, not replacing it with something else unrealistic.

I don't think that's in line with DCS' core values.
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #63
JunMcKill

Quote:
Okay, so why do those examples exist, then?

I think it's a worse fallacy to replace something unrealistic with something else unrealistic for the sake of feeling like you fixed something. That's not fixing anything. An actual fix would be to make an HDD that operates similar to the HDD in the J-11A, not replacing it with something else unrealistic.

I don't think that's in line with DCS' core values.
you're right, in fact the MFD of the FC3 SU-27 is far from the real one of the SU-27SK (and I'm talking the K version that is the export model)
JunMcKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #64
Axelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zergburger View Post
LOL @ realism. You guys are arguing about realism in an FC3 aircraft, the whole purpose of which is to not be realistic.
Looks like you don't understand the whole purpose of FC3... Let me explain. FC3 is there to give you aircrafts that aren't modelled in depth but that are still modelled realistically.
Axelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #65
Yaga

Quote:
If you can only replace unrealism with more unrealism, then what's the point? DCS isn't going to die because an unspecified feature was kind-of-sort-of available on the same aircraft of a later version but not the version that we have right now. If that was really your concern, then the 15C that we have shouldn't have 120Cs, and the Mig-21 shouldn't be able to fire Groms but should be able to fire R-73s. These are compromises that DCS has just sort of lived with because fighting to get them changed wouldn't be worth the effort.
Excellent point.

Even in the Flanker, there are so many things we should be able to do, but can't. Especially in MP.

On another note, I'm worried by a lot of the misconceptions I see here about what DL is/does. It is concerning that those with imperfect information are voting and potentially deciding the J-11's fate.

For those unfamiliar:

SINGLE PLAYER:

DL is fed by your wingman's radar and the AWACS/EWR radars. You can see which wingman is sorting which bandit.

MULTIPLAYER:

DL is fed only by AWACS and sometimes EWR depending on mission settings. You only see what they see and what you detect with your own sensors. You cannot see who is sorting what, or what bandits are detected by other fighters on your team.
Yaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #66
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

The DL in SP - MP is something i was telling all the time here.

Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6 - GTX 1060 EXOC KFA2 - 16 Gigas RAM 1.600 - 1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55 - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - Track IR 4
Esac_mirmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #67
Scarrrface

Was there a similiar thread like this with M2K D2M ?

Last edited by Scarrrface; 05-18-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Scarrrface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #68
feefifofum
3rd Party Developer

Yes, this led to the option "do not mount the DDM sensors" as a special item in the Mission Editor.
feefifofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:50 AM   #69
NakedSquirrel

It sounds realistic to keep the Datalink since the aircraft actually has one.
NakedSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #70
Scarrrface

Quote:
Originally Posted by feefifofum View Post
Yes, this led to the option "do not mount the DDM sensors" as a special item in the Mission Editor.

Handle it the same way perhaps ? It will be up to the mission editor if they want a realistic or balance environment.
Scarrrface is offline   Reply With Quote