ECM Pods 1 or 2 ?

Saigon

Good morning.

What is the difference between mount 2 MPS-410 ECM pod or 1? It would be enough to mount only one way? To have each other free pylon for an R-60 M.

Thanks

Intel I5-8600 3,1GHz. NVIDIA RTX2070 8GB DDR6. 32GB RAM DDR4. SSD 500GB. WIN 10.

Saiteck Rino x55, pedals, panels Switch,Radio,AP.Trackir 5,Leo Bodnar,Voice Attack.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

@feefifofum

Could you explain a little more or point to me to the relevant data please?

1. Why you have to take both?

2. How effective they are against enemy weapons systems as a comparison of turned on and turned off?

My information came by Ralfidudes thread on same. Has this changed by way of a patch?

If it's the wingtip mounted type, yes you need both.

Why? One is a receiver the other is transmitter. The freqs jammed aren't random, afterall.

And yes, they do work, despite what people here say sometimes. They don't reduce hit chances or anything like that, but it does reduce the range SAMs can fire on you at longer ranges. As you get closer, the radar 'burns through' your ECM and they can fire on you again.

They don't work on all SAMs equally.

ECM is not simulated in depth, it's very crude and not at all realistic. Usually useless, but under certain conditions potentially helpful

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The ECM in DCS is very simple at this moment.

Jammers work only as multiplier for detection and lock ranges.

Chaff works like a flare, and both generate a check periodically for object with radar/IR seeker that do they lock to CM instead or not, regardless are those in the field of view of the seeker or radar.

Like all in the DCS, everything is simple mathematics and geometry. A ground unit has a three circles, detection range, lock range and minimal engagement range. And then each aircraft has a own multiplier for different class targets to modify two circles (detection and lock), like larger aircraft can have a 1.5x multiplier for the detection range and 1.2x for lock range, while small aircraft can have a 0.9x multiplier for detection and 0.85x for lock.

Then if you turn ECM on, it turns additional multiplier on like 0.9x for detection and 0.7x for lock range.

So there is no Electronic Warfare simulation. The same is with the line of sight systems, where the ground unit has a detection range and engagement range. Once you enter to detection range and it is checked that there is line of sight, the unit is aware of you. Once you enter to engagement range, the unit will shoot at you.

Then there are difficulty multipliers for reaction times like how long you need to be in the detection range to get spotted, what angle you need to be, what is the background of target (trees or clear sky) etc to modify them little bit.

But this is the problem why every unit in the same group will instantly get knowledge of you once one unit detects you. There is no communication delays, no errors, no lack of it etc. Something is simulated by the reaction times but once one sees, everyone does.

And there is no simulations for line of sight or visibility really, like a crew in MBT will spot you regardless they have very limited field of view outside and even in heat of combat there is "someone" that just magically see you.

This could change since F-18 Hornet has now a some simulation for the radar beam technology, so instead just projecting every 3D model in the map terrain, it should now really "spray" emission and check what bounces the emission back.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yeah, I've been very interested in seeing how all this develops with the F-14 and F-18, they're both far more involved, the 14 even has terrain detection of some fashion. Maybe we'll begin the tiptoe toward a more detailed EWAR model, too =)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Once you enter to detection range and it is checked that there is line of sight, the unit is aware of you. Once you enter to engagement range, the unit will shoot at you.

1/ line of sight includes detector orientation, and things like the cockpit structure

2/ From memory there's a randomised delay built in so you may be detected immediately, or you my pass through a LOS briefly but be undetected.

Cheers.