Pc upgrade

Hi. Need some help regarding PC upgrade trying to boost some performace.

Specs: Core i7 920 @2700 MHz (bought in 2010); 6Gb DDR3 1333 MHz; Radeon R9 270X 2Gb GDDR5; HDD 320GB.

Plan is to upgrade RAM to 16 or 24 GB DDR3 and 2xHDD in RAID 0 configuration (or maybe an SSD).

The question is: is it worth the investment or the processor is simply too old for DCS.

Cheers.

Your system is pretty much ready for retirement Airmage :(

I wouldn't upgrade now and save up for something like this below if on a budget and want something off the shelf built.

Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8700K (3.70 GHz) 16 GB DDR4 1 TB HDD 240 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6G

Many here do there research and then buy the parts and build their own system to get the best bank for buck. Many here will help if you go down that route.:)

I would also hold off to see if Nvidia is releasing a new GPU soon, the prices are cRazy for GPU's at the moment because of crypto mining.

Here is an article on Forbes that BitMaster will get a kick out of :D

PC Gamers Should Stop Complaining About GPU Prices And Start Mining

So you could go down that route also, to offset some of the cost:)

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I still have an i7 920 @ 3.3Ghz system as an office PC

I would suggest building a new system .... but just not right now, prices for PC parts are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too high

Can you possibly OC your CPU to extend its gaming life ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Hi. Need some help regarding PC upgrade trying to boost some performace.

Specs: Core i7 920 @2700 MHz (bought in 2010); 6Gb DDR3 1333 MHz; Radeon R9 270X 2Gb GDDR5; HDD 320GB.

Plan is to upgrade RAM to 16 or 24 GB DDR3 and 2xHDD in RAID 0 configuration (or maybe an SSD).

The question is: is it worth the investment or the processor is simply too old for DCS.

Yes, its undeniable that the PC is old, I had a similar one up until November 2017 (Core i7 860) when I upgraded to a Ryzen 5, tough I must admit that my old PC could run DCS very well at Full HD resolution, tough I had more ram (16 GB) and a better GPU (GTX970).

You could try to sell the PC and then buy a new one, but most likely the old PC will not earn much money, as people nowadays isnt buying desktop PCs.

If buying a whole new PC is out of budget, I'd suggest to try a gradual upgrade path that uses components that may be of use on a future new PC:

1) First, increase your RAM as its right now your weakest component from a DCS perspective. Since it uses older DDR3 memory, I'd buy it second hand if possible, be sure to select modules of the same specs as your current ones, open the PC to check which specific mainboard do you have and then find the specs to see which are its limits memory-wise. Most likely your PC uses triple channel, so its RAM is in multiples of 3: 6 GB, 12 GB, 24 GB ... be sure to check the mainboard specs.

2) Next, upgrade the graphics card, and go with the best you can afford, since it would still be usable on a future PC .. for example a GTX 1060 would be twice as fast as your current card.

3) On last place, purchase an SSD drive .. be sure to select a SATA model, since your motherboard doesnt have M2 interface. Minimum size is 240 GB .. which allows you to put Windows plus DCS on the same drive ... everything else will have to stay on your current drive. Dont do RAID0 with regular hard drives, as its too much hassle for very little real gain ... SSD is the way to go.

Best regards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

yes, and keep the old one as a working machine, you could sell it or use it as backup.

Heck yes, MINE your money back, don't moan, fight harder, mine harder.

I hear them all crying but they seem def or helpless as the cure is at their hands.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

New rig for sure, like other said. But, if your MB is capable of adding an SSD (free SATA) , I would pick one up. It will be an instant boost in general. And you can use it later in a newer system. Even if you buy a complete system that comes with SSD, you can still use a dedicated SSD for DCS.

I would *not* bother with RAID 0 anymore. Get one magnetic HD that's big and cheap for stuff you don't kneed access to (installers, downloads, etc) But every program should be run from an SSD.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1