Radar Altimeter?

Baz000

Does the A-10A have a radar altimeter?

Does it IRL?

if not... How am I supposed to know my altitude above the ground when I am trying to Fly low level combat tactics like Andy Bush from SIMHQ IE: below 300ft AGL and even below 100ft AGL at times.

Also, there seems to be no way to change barometric altimeter in the A-10A in game from what I have seen.

It has a radar altimeter and you can adjust the barometric pressure with a knob next to the indicator. The radar altimeter can be turned on or off with the switch just to the left of the engage autopilot push button. You can select which altitude source should be used for displaying altitude on the HDU with the ALT SCE switch on the Armament HUD Control Panel.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

IRL you can estimate the altitude rather precisely at such a low altitudes and especially at high speed you have a lot more important things to do than to look at the RA ;)

Our aircraft never had and still don't have RAs. Furthermore if the terrain isn't perfectly flat a RA is a rather useless gauge in this situation.

What are you talking about? :huh:

Our A-10C has RA as explained above. And looking at it is no problem either, as it can be displayed on the HUD.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Think of it this way if your flying under 100 ft over Nevada suburbia watching the RA your not seeing the object your about to run into. Besides at that height over suburbia it bounces all over the place. ;)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

What are you talking about? :huh:

Our A-10C has RA as explained above. And looking at it is no problem either, as it can be displayed on the HUD.

This is the A-10A forum.

Your explanations are for a clickable cockpit too, which is not the case here.

i7 7700k • 1080Ti • 32GB @ 3200 MHz • 525GB M.2 • Oculus Rift

Warthog + Pro Flight

About low level flying IRL. Btw, the OP asked if the A-10A has a RA.

This is the A-10A forum.

Your explanations are for a clickable cockpit too, which is not the case here.

whooops, sorry guys! :music_whistling:

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to the party but...

In the A-10A, when in NAV mode, the radar altimeter reading is displayed on the HUD as the first line in the lower right data block (xxxxR). It shows up automatically whenever you are below 5000 feet (I think) and gives you a precise digital readout. And just above all that is a radar altitude scale as well.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.