Dynamic Campaign Engine

MBot

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mbot.

May I ask, where to start digging into the campaing to make my own one? I would like to do something simple.

The list of things I should edit should be:

Aircrafts for humans and IA, with configurations, depending on the rol and skins.

Targets.

Reinforcements.

Question, for helicopters, does this works? I mean, I would like to put some IA chopers... going to few places.

My other quesion is. What happen if I put a ground group, that will go to a certain zone, then some of them are destroyed. When I save the mission. Will the new generated one save the position and units left? (A la DAWS?). Because if so, we could add certain ground war...

My idea would be: put a ground group, and put them in the targets list (wherever it is). Then, if they are I a zone, go to a certain triggerzone. Once they arrive at such zone, they go to another zone.... so, always when the mission start his position will be checked, and it will keep going to the final destination.

Hello Mbot.

May I ask, where to start digging into the campaing to make my own one? I would like to do something simple.

The list of things I should edit should be:

Aircrafts for humans and IA, with configurations, depending on the rol and skins.

Targets.

Reinforcements.

Here is a quick overview. All the files that define a campaign are in the Init folder. The Scripts folder does not need to be touched. In the Init folder, the files do the following:

1. base_mission.miz - This is a basic mission that defines the coalitions and all ground units in the campaign. Do not place any aircraft or triggers. This mission is created in the DCS ME.

2. camp_init.lua - Define some basic properties of the campaign. All variable are commented and should be self explanatory.

3. db_airbases.lua - Define the airbases you will be using. x-y coordinates and aerodrome id must match DCS. The name you can make up whatever you want (just make sure to use the same name later when adding squadrons to an airbase).

4. oob_air_init.lua - Define all squadrons/regiments you want to appear in the campaign. Aircraft type, airbase, numbers, what tasks they should do etc.

5. db_loadouts.lua - For each aircraft type and each task, you must define at least one loadout with stores and various properties.

6. targetlist_init.lua - Here you define all targets, including CAP stations, interceptor assignments etc.

7. camp_trigger_init.lua - This is used to define various triggers and actions for the campaign, such as victory conditions, resupply, unit/target activation/deactivation, briefing texts etc. No campaign triggers are strictly needed to run a campaign, but it makes it more interesting.

Use the FirstMission.bat to create a new campaign start mission based on the current files in the Init folder. Generally the files have plenty of comments and examples. A lot of the setup is just tedious work. Getting the campaign to generate a sensible ATO might require quite a bit of tweaking and balancing. Some more details about some of the more delicate variables might be needed later, but this should be enough to get you started.

Question, for helicopters, does this works? I mean, I would like to put some IA chopers... going to few places.

No helicopters are supported.

My other quesion is. What happen if I put a ground group, that will go to a certain zone, then some of them are destroyed. When I save the mission. Will the new generated one save the position and units left? (A la DAWS?). Because if so, we could add certain ground war...

My idea would be: put a ground group, and put them in the targets list (wherever it is). Then, if they are I a zone, go to a certain triggerzone. Once they arrive at such zone, they go to another zone.... so, always when the mission start his position will be checked, and it will keep going to the final destination.

Moving ground units are not supported either. The engine is not really suited for CAS oriented gameplay. Better concentrate on air-air, SEAD and strike. Especially for SEAD the DCE offers a huge potential, as it is possible to slowly degrade, roll back and open holes in an air defense network over the course of multiple missions. The later missions of my Desert Tiger 76 campaign feature this heavily and frankly, this was some of the best gameplay I ever saw in DCS.

MBot, so you don't have to modify Desert Tiger 76_first.miz or Desert Tiger76_onging.miz at all? Running SkipMission.bat should modify them for you?

On a related note, I have edited my Mission Scripting.lua file as instructed and now my missions will not update anymore when I run SkipMission. I tried to open the _ongoing.miz file to see what was going on and it would not allow me to save it, not sure what changed.

MBot, so you don't have to modify Desert Tiger 76_first.miz or Desert Tiger76_onging.miz at all? Running SkipMission.bat should modify them for you?

That is right, the _first.miz and _ongoing.miz are completely generated (their exact filename depends on the campaign name defined in the camp_init.lua). FirstMission.bat will generate the _first.miz. After playing it, the _ongoing.miz will automatically generated. The ongoing file will then be updated with a new file each time it is played (or manually if SkipMission.bat is used).

On a related note, I have edited my Mission Scripting.lua file as instructed and now my missions will not update anymore when I run SkipMission. I tried to open the _ongoing.miz file to see what was going on and it would not allow me to save it, not sure what changed.

SkipMission.bat should be unaffected by the MissionScripting.lua, because it runs outside and independent of the game. Make sure you do not have the mission file open with a zip program in the background when using the bat files.

The Viggen campaign is making nice progress. It is basically completely built and now that the Viggen was released into 2.0, I can finally start to actually play test, tune and polish it. I already identified some showstopping bugs with the Viggen itself, so this will have to wait at least until the next patch. But if everything else goes well, I hope to release the campaign shortly after the next 2.0 update.

Meanwhile...

attachment.php?attachmentid=158454&stc=1&d=1488739310

I just can't get enough of seeing those auto-generated routes. Ain't they beautiful :)

Screen_170305_135102.thumb.jpg.51e11ae74d63bf774f02656690806665.jpg

• Like 1

I just can't get enough of seeing those auto-generated routes. Ain't they beautiful :)

Truly a work of art! :thumbup:

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

The Viggen campaign is making nice progress. It is basically completely built and now that the Viggen was released into 2.0, I can finally start to actually play test, tune and polish it. I already identified some showstopping bugs with the Viggen itself, so this will have to wait at least until the next patch. But if everything else goes well, I hope to release the campaign shortly after the next 2.0 update.

I can't wait! :joystick:

Great work MBot, as always :thumbup:

I'm in love with the Viggen right now, so I'm really stoked for your campaign :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Will there be any new campaigns on the Black sea map? Wouuld be great with Viggens and ships :)

I am very much planning to do a naval campaign for the Viggen eventually, but probably not on the Caucasus map. This will also require a large upgrade for DCE to implement things such as moving ships, damage tracking for ships, CAP stations relative to ships and much more. But I feel that currently the naval environment of DCS is a bit lacking and in need for some important improvements (see also here). Gameplay wise I don't think it currently offers enough depth, diversity and longevity to be at the center of a fun campaign. Therefore I decided to put that on stand-by for the moment. Hopefully we will also have some more map options by then.

Is there a purpose on the recon mission ? Does protecting the recon aircraft and help it succeed in his mission have an impact on the campaign ?

They do not have a direct effect on the campaign. I primary included them due to their interesting flight profile.

I meanwhile had to opportunity to play test a couple of missions of the Viggen NTTR campaign. The most immediate problem currently is that loaded AI Viggens are unable to take off from many of the smaller airfields in Nevada, which of course will be one of the keystones of this campaign. But I am confident that this will be solved with the next patches.

There are some other problems which are worrying me though. Since this is a Viggen campaign, one of the central elements will of course be low level flight in order to avoid radar detection, which will lead to fighter interception. Unfortunately there are multiple issues which work directly against this core gameplay mechanic:

1. AI flights are generally horrible at Nap of the Earth flight. See for example here or here. Due to their inability to fly at very low level and stay there, AI flights are often detected and intercepted very early.

2. Even though the player can fly low, his AI wingman can't (see here) and often attract unwanted attention. Right now it is better to send your wingman home right after take off because they do more harm than good, which is a shame.

3. Once an intercept is initiated, the AI has omniscient knowledge about its target and tracks it regardless of any terrain, range or the capabilities of its own sensors. At this point it is impossible to hide or evade (see here). This is basically the equivalent of playing Thief or Splinter Cell without being able to shake off guards. This is going to be a major problem.

4. The MiG-21, which I have choose as the main antagonist currently seems to have a look-down capable radar (see here), further diminishing any advantage of low level flight.

With such issues present, I am worrying about the feasibility of this Viggen campaign and in fact any serious Viggen missions in general. Some of these issues could remain present for a long time to come, if they are even going to be fixed at all, considering the age of some of them.

Edited by MBot