Just awful

Cunning_Fox

Not even mentioning numerous grammatical errors in the briefing screens, the campaign is quite awful.

Especially the mission where you're supposed to take out 4 SU-25s which carry R-60s, all the while dodging heat-seaking missiles from the Hill 39.

How are you supposed to do that again? The only way to fly this mission is with labels turned on, so you don't have to watch out for missiles hitting you.

In "reality" if I was the pilot of 15 (or if anyone without a deathwish) would just turn and fly away from the AO. Way too many threats to even suggest a fight. Let alone against 4 flying tanks that take your cannon ammunition like it's peas.

I don't know who's idea of "fun" is trying to dodge countless IR missiles whilst shooting 25s who can outmanuver on any height you despite having full armament load.

----

In later missions when you have to take on two Bombers that try to bomb the airport, you have F-16s chasing you with AMRAAMs. It is virtually unplayable.

The B-52H bombers get downed by SU-27s on the Scramble mission. If not - you die by F-16A. What fun!

----

Radar dodging mission is laughable - you get detected as soon as you take off. You don't even have time to get your gear up. What were yout thinking when you've made this?!

Edited by Cunning_Fox

I am more than happy to help you with mission progression if that's what you're asking for. But to berate my campaign because you're having trouble with some missions is really uncalled for.

This campaign has been available for nearly two years, and in that time, DCS has gone through countless patches and updates. Things are bound to break, and changes made to the base simulator often have unknown implications to some of the products for it. A.I. for example, has changed numerous times and have some aircraft act way more aggressively then before. While other times A.I. won't even depart their airports.

In "reality" if I was the pilot of 15 (or if anyone without a deathwish) would just turn and fly away from the AO. Way too many threats to even suggest a fight. Let alone against 4 flying tanks that take your cannon ammunition like it's peas.

You're right, don't engage the hill then. Intel could get things wrong and not correctly identify the threats at an A.O. Luckily, you don't have to hit the hill as the objective changes. So don't attack it. And if the enemy fly's over the hill, don't follow him. You have to fight differently and can't always go in Rambo style.

I'll gladly look at the bomber mission. Do you stay over your departing airport like you're briefed to? If you travel to far outside of it (towards the massive A-A engagement, you'll trigger them to engage you)

And the radar mission, how high are you climbing? You are specifically briefed to stay as low as possible.

What were yout thinking when you've made this?!
I was thinking about making a mission that was unlike anything I've ever seen before in DCS, and this is actually one of my favorites. Here's a video I made about this mission, because yes ... I did expect that some people would have trouble with it.

If you are flying at tree top level, and are still getting detected, then you might be off the path. But if you are certain you're still on the path, and still being told you're flying to high, and your engine intake has a few birds nests in it ... then yes, that would be a bug. And I would be more than happy to look into any error that might have crept its way into the mission.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

What I've done is I was detected several times over. I actually fly so low, that my plane has a trail of dirt behind it and I have to dodge trees.

I have been able to do the two other missions - the first one I had to just circle the FARP, I shot down the 25Ts, but the other two escaped.

The B-52H mission was like I've said - F-16A sees you really quickly after it shoots down the SU-25Ts, so I had to cheat a little - move out of the Sukhumi and circle around mountains. Once I intercepted the 52s, the SU-27 coming back from the frontline ripped them both a new one.

Coming back to the radar detection mission, the only way I've done it is to fly low and follow the markers, ignoring the detection. The Mirages took off when they saw me, then I landed, then they landed, so I took off again and shot the F-117. The only problem is - the Vulcans got my engine and I had to crashland.

----

That said, despite its flaws, the voice acting is good. I understand how the game breaks due to patches - some of my own older mission do not work either. Yet, it is for sale still, so there must be some kind of support for it.

----

So I've tried again, but misjudged my landing speed and crashlanded. The enemy fighters actually made it to the Nalchik airfield, then they shot me... then they crashed into me. Track attached for comedic purposes.

MuseumRelicOverkill.trk

Edited by Cunning_Fox
grammar

Just awful

I strongly disagree with this. I've tried at least 6 or 7 DCS campaigns and of all of them the Museum Relic campaign got me the most. 97% of my time in DCS I'm flying multiplayer only, so I don't really progress much with campaigns, but the Museum Relic campaign is the campaign which I progressed the most. I think I'm now somewhere around mission 10 and it's been a blast so far! The campaign really gives you the feeling of flying a relic, that is outgunned and outpowered by the other aircraft in that war, but can still have an effect if used wisely. I really do enjoy that!

The mission against the four Frogfoots was indeed quite tricky but I do like a challenge from time to time and after some attempts I managed to defeat them.

I still hope to find the time to finish this campaign, so I can give a fully informed feedback, but so far it was really great fun! :thumbup:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I bet I can make a better mission than this entire campaign. Minus the voice acting. I have been building them since the MiG release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And i would not buy your products with that attitude GG

Edited by Coxy_99

I bet I can make a better mission than this entire campaign. Minus the voice acting. I have been building them since the MiG release.

Well, then make one, nobody stops you from doing so. From what I've seen Apache's campaign is one of the most praised of all DLCs (if not THE most praised). Unfortunately I don't fly neither aircraft (ie MiG-19 nor Sabre) but if I had I'd jump straight to it.

If you've been building missions since MiG release, share them with the community and let them be the judge. Although please remember that the voice acting is what makes the real difference between a good mission and a really enjoyable one.

Finally, a friendly advice: here on the forums we're used to criticism - it helps us become better in what we do. But we prefer it to be a constructive one. Using general terms that the campaign is "awful" and "unrealistic" doesn't really help.

If one of us wanted to make a realistic campaign, it would be boring as hell. Grab any book describing Afghanistan, Kosovo etc. You ha some action, true, but that would be a very small % of missions. Most of them were pretty uneventful...

Cheers,

BD

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Just awful

And i would not buy your products with that attitude GG

Don’t, if you value attitude over professionalism.

Better yet - check the attitude of the fanboys flinging insults and assumptions here. I know hoggit is toxic, but I’m starting to see the whole of ED forums is just looking like that reddit sub. Thanks for the moderator who stepped in and deleted one hysterical fanboy rant at me though.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

Just awful

Well, then make one, nobody stops you from doing so. From what I've seen Apache's campaign is one of the most praised of all DLCs (if not THE most praised). Unfortunately I don't fly neither aircraft (ie MiG-19 nor Sabre) but if I had I'd jump straight to it.

If you've been building missions since MiG release, share them with the community and let them be the judge. Although please remember that the voice acting is what makes the real difference between a good mission and a really enjoyable one.

Finally, a friendly advice: here on the forums we're used to criticism - it helps us become better in what we do. But we prefer it to be a constructive one. Using general terms that the campaign is "awful" and "unrealistic" doesn't really help.

If one of us wanted to make a realistic campaign, it would be boring as hell. Grab any book describing Afghanistan, Kosovo etc. You ha some action, true, but that would be a very small % of missions. Most of them were pretty uneventful...

Cheers,

BD

If someone literally jumps with joy saying it is the BEST campaign, why can’t I say otherwise?

The praise is hardly constructive, but for criticism you want actual evidence-based approach (which I have given, since I did not type an emotional rant).

I know voice acting matters, this one was done well (except the guy screaming in the dreaded Hill 39 mission about the Su-25s).

The briefing screens are done with grammar mistakes and rather lazily. The good missions are not about action as much as they are about making use of assets.

I’ll tell you what I hate in games in general - one way of accomplishing things. I know some console players love this stuff, so they can compete in “Paralympic” events like “who can beat Mario faster”, but I like “muh diversity”. Think Deus Ex (the old one).

Edited by Cunning_Fox

Well then upload some of your missions and we can see what you think is good. But I wouldn’t invest too much time in it, we’re all supposed to support each other and maybe disagree but at least respect fellow mission designers. I wouldn’t want to support/play someone’s missions if they show they have trouble treating others hard work here with respect. There’s plenty of more respectful and specific ways you could’ve gone in your criticism.

Apache600 even says in the first post of the main thread that one of the missions is really hard and to let him know if it’s too hard. And it’s mentioned in more than one spot that there is an auto complete in the F10 menu to skip a certain mission.

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Don’t, if you value attitude over professionalism.

Better yet - check the attitude of the fanboys flinging insults and assumptions here. I know hoggit is toxic, but I’m starting to see the whole of ED forums is just looking like that reddit sub. Thanks for the moderator who stepped in and deleted one hysterical fanboy rant at me though.

Im no fanboy i assure you, And in which part did i insult you?

Just awful ...

Going to have to disagree with you.

I'll continue to recommend this campaign to anyone who buys either the F-86 or MiG-15, as neither come with a default SP campaign and this campaign fills a valuable slot.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Just awful

Im no fanboy i assure you, And in which part did i insult you?

Coxy, man, just stay out of this. (If you’re the Coxy I know).

I was talking about the fanboy whose comment was deleted, got nothing to do with you.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

Going to have to disagree with you.

I'll continue to recommend this campaign to anyone who buys either the F-86 or MiG-15, as neither come with a default SP campaign and this campaign fills a valuable slot.

Lack of competition sure saves it.

Just awful

Well then upload some of your missions and we can see what you think is good. But I wouldn’t invest too much time in it, we’re all supposed to support each other and maybe disagree but at least respect fellow mission designers. I wouldn’t want to support/play someone’s missions if they show they have trouble treating others hard work here with respect. There’s plenty of more respectful and specific ways you could’ve gone in your criticism.

Apache600 even says in the first post of the main thread that one of the missions is really hard and to let him know if it’s too hard. And it’s mentioned in more than one spot that there is an auto complete in the F10 menu to skip a certain mission.

Sure, autocomplete works.

Did you maybe, not think for a second that the reason I criticise his design was because I was interested in completing the campaign (which I did), not because it was “hard”?

The mission design is broken in some places, in some it is illogical. I do not fall into the fallacy of big effort = high marks and acknowledgement. I don’t value pure effort just because it was done, I value the end result.

My sim experience is in my comments: I’ve been flying Retaliator and A-10 Cuba when the tanks were boxes and the GAU-8 was “voiced” by integrated speakers, but this campaign is awful.

Edited by Cunning_Fox

You’ve specifically mentioned the voice acting and Su-25s of one mission so far. Why don’t you post one of your missions you talked about and we can find out what’s so different and special about them?

I’ve specifically said the voice acting was the highlight of the campaign, apart from one instance.

Just awful

Wow, the response I am getting is just sad.

Either say it is great or get bullied by everyone into this opinion. Pathetic. If that’s the kind of attitude the community has, then I don’t think I’d want to make anything for it.

Considering the absolute biological trash the reddit “Hoggit” admins are, I’m not surprised.

Wow, the response I am getting is just sad.

Either say it is great or get bullied by everyone into this opinion. Pathetic. [...]

Maybe you should have worded your critique more objectively.

I am sure everyone is open for objective feedback but tbh I think your critique is lacking objectivity.

Instead you throw around catchwords like "awful" "laughable" ...

What did you expect?

And then all the others are bullies and pathetic .. ?

• ED Team

Guys, please stay on topic. And please try and get along.

Also, I will add that guys like BD work very hard on these campaigns, and a lot of time goes into them. I also know they appreciate all feedback, good or bad, but n both cases, please try and make comments that are mature and constructive, this isn't the playground and we aren't in 4th grade, we should be a bit more evolved by now.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Overall I have been enjoying the campaign, very atmospheric, and have now reached the mission in which you are told to attack hill 39. Sigh....

I just tried this mission 7 times in a row, mostly due to the MANPADS on the hill and short range SAMs that are in two west-east lines slightly to the south of it. In one attempt I managed to shoot down all four Su-25s, but then spotted a smoke trail coming from the hill, a Stinger fired at max range... and of course I got hit again. Game over. No matter where you are hit and by what, the MiG's engine always dies immediately.

Rather a dreadful experience IMHO trying to hunt missile armed Su-25s in a SAM infested area. It seems best to stay north of the river or west near the coast and wait for a Su-25 to venture there and to stay high lest a Su-25 comes specifically for you launching R-60s on the way in.