Dual throttles are mandatory? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #21
S-GERAT

Probably for the 99 % of the time a single throttle will be perfectly fine, so buy another throttle is not needed for somebody who already owns one. But the dual throttle obviously have its uses apart from the engine start, like when you get a compressor stall and need to reduce the throttle of a single engine.. or when the plane is damaged and need to apply more thrust in one engine to fly at level..

This Monday I was flying a training mission with some mates and was flying the F-5.. never had many problems with their engines, but this time my right engine was very prone to fail and get a lot of compressor stalls and strange readings on the gauges and the dual throttle was needed a lot of times. Anyway, these issues are very strange if they aren't planned with the mission editor, so the dual throttle is not indispensable.
S-GERAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #22
AvgWhiteGuy

Has anyone mentioned how bindings or assignments will work with the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS?

Can you point me in that direction.

If so, would the functionality be similar?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #23
vegue

Thanks for all answers! I think I will keep using my current equipment until upgrade is demanded.
vegue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #24
Pluscrafter

This is a little off Topic, but is the throttle of the Logitech Extreme3DPro sufficient enought for the FA18 ?

Intel Core I7-6700K OC 4.7GHZ, Nvidia GTX 960 2GB, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198294329153/
Pluscrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #25
crab

I go to a remote place for work where I make do with a 10 year old Sidewinder and a lot of keyboard commands, multi-engine or not. It's in no way ideal but I can have fun just the same. I'm not trying to bust anyone's favorite spherical enhancements but some of you are over thinking it. You can play with what you have, if you're not satisfied you can always upgrade.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #26
LieutenantFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluscrafter View Post
This is a little off Topic, but is the throttle of the Logitech Extreme3DPro sufficient enought for the FA18 ?
You'd likely have to set at least 2 modifiers, and will still use the keyboard plenty.
Of course, nothing is impossible.

If you're ever looking for an upgrade but can't afford a Warthog, get the T.16000M HOTAS pack, it will not dissapoint
LieutenantFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #27
Robert31178

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcorpse View Post
There is no need to worry. As been previously said, there will be one axis to control both engines simultaneously and it works great, just like in other twin engine planes in DCS. And, of course, there will be two axis to separate control of each engine for hardcore.
There is a reason for it. You can asymetrically control a P-38 in a DF and it would maybe be useful. I will also say that I have read it's something that could be done that most of the tight turning, 109 beating low altitude dogfights I read first hand accounts of they did not talk about assymetrical engine management, and they were able to low speed, hard turn 109's into the ground.
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:05 AM   #28
Черный Дракул

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert31178 View Post
There is a reason for it. You can asymetrically control a P-38 in a DF and it would maybe be useful.
It cannot possibly be useful in a dogfight, since you want to tighten your turn radius, not widen it or prevent yourself from turning that way altogether. These are not modern thrust vectors -- by creating asymmetric thrust, you make the aircraft sideslip, making it prone to enter a spin if you turn into the lower-thrust engine, and to avoid it, you'd have to enter a very shallow turn unless you want the plane to flip over and enter a spin. The best solution, which is recommended everywhere where there can be a dead wing-mounted engine, is to turn another way, on the "live" engine side. It will take significantly longer, but it will be possible without losing an aircraft.

If you want, you can experience it yourself, turning off an engine of a twin-engine aircraft in DCS midflight. If engines have a noticeable separation (on Su-25/T it will work), you'll immediately feel the difference between left and right turns and why turning into a dead engine is highly not recommended. Mulitply that feeling to account for the longer distance from the center of mass to the engine in P-38 and the corresponding momentum to get the idea why lowering one engine thrust in any combat situation will significantly worsen your position.

Last edited by Черный Дракул; 05-17-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Черный Дракул is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #29
Robert31178

Whoa killer, I realize that it doesn't makes sense when we talk about it, but if folks who flew it say there is something to it then there is. People like you and I get to talk about it here, and as I said I haven't read of anyone trying to do in in a DF, but it gets talked about by actual P-38 pilots, so......??
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #30
Jack McCoy

A bit off topic, but still still about dual throttles...

IRL, in twin engine fighters, is there a mechanism to lock both throttle controls together as is the case for the Warthog controller?
Jack McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote