DCS on PS4 or XBox One X

DaveRindner

I do not think it is possible. As has been said, the resources simply do not exist. I suspect a large market for such a product does not exist either.

Furthermore, consoles do not rival high-end gaming desktops in terms of power. Console GPUs are similar to current mid-range desktop parts.

Besides, both consoles have CPUs with a very strange microarchitecture. Therefore, substantial parts of DCS would have to be rewritten to achieve acceptable performance. Of course, this would require vast resources that are unlikely to be available.

However, I must add that console support would likely be beneficial to many current DCS players. Work done to make the game run well on consoles would also improve performance on PCs. For example, we could see decreased reliance on single-thread CPU performance.

I was fortunate enough to receive a Xmas gift from my employer/client. A New PS4 1TB that came with Star Wars BattlefrontII. I was like wadda F!!! The graphics, with baked textures, normal maps, and fairly hi-rez meshes, is ultra smooth at 1080, 1440, and 2160. Everything apeared to be never slower then 48, and 60 in many shots. Of course that is a game not a sim. Not even a sim of TIE fighter! But it ran smoother then anything I have experienced with DCS and Prepare3D.

I am not a gamer. But the visuals in games on consoles today, are just unbelievable.

With full QWERTY keyboards and USB HOTAS compatibility with PS4 and Xbox, is there any possibility of DSC ported to console. Those consoles have power and GPU that rivals high end gamer desktops.

L O L

• Like 1

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

L O L

I think this should be the official statement from the dev regarding this issue. :)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

it rather goes mainframe than console

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

To me: DCS represents a "study sim" whereas consoles are about instant gratification, mindless sorts of games. This I know is an unfair stereotype, but I would be sad if DCS ported to that platform and then began to "dumb-down" the simulation which would be required to win over the majority of those types of players.

Again, just my opinion and an unfair one of the console market I sure.

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is already a game mode in DCS. I do not want DCS to be dumbed down. Actually I want DCS to be smarted up. By that I mean, aviators (cv & mil) are not supergeniuses (some are), but they still posses above avg. intelligence and task management skills. I want more procedures added. CG calculations, fuel management in mission planner. Proper use of aircraft lights, and airfield lighting, as in RL. With points lost for improper procedures. Fuel usage, and fuel management affected by weather and altitude, as part EFM , PFM, and ASM in DCS. Runways that are not flat , but adhere to topography of the land , it is built on.

When landing on Kuz with SU-33D, or Ike with F/A-18, OLS meatball should be functional and visible. For Harriers , there are special director lights on LHA that guide pilot to a safe vertical recovery. OHP, Ticonderoga also have director lights for helicopter recovery.

Dave I would suggest the reality is that the vast majority of console players simply are not interested in a study sim environment. The sales would need to support the extensive time and effort of the ED team to port it to the console.

Flight Sims exist on PC due to the reality of military and commercial use being specific to them. The A-10 is a prime example where a military contract turned into a civilian simulation minus a few items for security reasons.

Even the PC community that is engaged at this level of simulation is extremely small and would be unlikely to exist without commercial and military contracts.

I get that you think it would be a great thing for console's, and it may be but I doubt the numbers are there to support it.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I think that this would be highly unlikely. First, just because consoles have USB input does not mean that they will accept HOTAS setups, they'd need drivers and specialized software (and if TrackIR worked on consoles, I think someone would have taken advantage of it by now). Equally important is that these sorts of simulations are CPU heavy in addition to GPU requirements. Just because a console can handle the graphics says nothing about how well it handles the physics calculations. Users also cannot add more RAM to a console or upgrade the GPU or other components, which means that DCS development would actually be significantly limited later in the console's lifespan.

But most importantly, flight simulation is a niche market. DCS isn't going to have the high-volume turnover to justify putting it on a sales shelf, as opposed to most console games. There are good market reasons why indie games (and one could argue that DCS is an "indie" game in the sense of being self-published) are primarily on PC. Would ED expect the sort of sales on console to justify the cost of porting it, much less just the licensing fees from Sony or Microsoft to do so? Could anyone guarantee, before they spend a ridiculous amount of money and development time and opportunity cost, that the simulator could even be made to work with the Sony or Microsoft SDKs?

And that's before even getting to the issue of third-party developers. How many of them would go along with this? And so what happens when you have a fractured stable of aircraft on each console? You think the current issue of waiting for Steam releases is difficult, this would be orders of magnitude worse.

The market simply isn't there. The money simply isn't there. And how many existing customers, realistically, would be cool with extending the already long dev cycle by another year per module to accomodate consoles? So now it's not just about not making enough money from consoles, but losing existing PC customers, which is extremely bad business.

If you really want to attract console players to DCS, make more "Ace Combat" mission remakes in DCS and put them up on YouTube.

1st off, barely adequate hardware on current consoles.

2nd: there are no PS/Xbox compatible Joysticks im aware of.

3rd: console gamers are mostly into Mainstream Arcadey ish games.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Simply... Blasphemy!....:Flush:

(its just a cultural thing)

Edited by MegOhm_SD
Bubakinush again

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Excuse me while I clear my head...been reading about the 2.5 upgrade...what a conundrum.

I have a Sony Play Station lll. I have a hotas that is made for it. It is very similar to the Saitek

X-52. I paid 100.00 new for it and ordered it from a mfg. in China. It works very well. Going to the local Game Stop...they said there were no hotas controllers for PS/Xbox ??.

At least with a console one does not have to reconfigure/reinstall/rewrite/re....etc ad nauseam every week with each new change/upgrade/fix/bug repair. Yep about every year or so a new version of some titles appears. And alas new consoles come out with better electronics. The PC titles in the game stores are non-existent.

I have several flight sims and racing games for the console. They are fun.

I also have a new computer waiting till the dust settles on 2.5 before I install it...for the first time. I have paid thirty times more on DCS flight sim and hardware than my little console.

If DCS ever ports to a console...I will be first in line. Just think...no more waiting, no more constant tweaking with all the changing....just buy the cartridge, insert, play. New titles...same just purchase new titles ( aircraft-maps-ad ons) plug in and play. It will run without any problems because it has too.

Laz

1st:This has been asked/discussed dozens of times, and each time the answer has been the same.

2nd: Consoles Xbox One and PS4, Have Hardware Specs barely equal to an Entry Level Gaming PC.

3rd: Consoles Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, have Hardware specs barely meeting the DCS World 2.2 minimum Specs.

4th: Xbox One X Runs a Custom Windows Kernel, and a Custom DirectX12 API Kernel, while 1st Party Microsoft Studios (Inc. Turn 10), can easily compile a Game for both by switching the target in Visual Studio, DCS is Not coded to do so, DCS Does not Run on the DirectX12 API, nor the Xbox One Compatible SDK/Visual Studio.

5th: PS4 Does not run any compatible API that DCS Uses.

6th: DCS Requires Alot more than simply QWERTY, HOTAS, and a RX580 GPU

7th: There are NO simulations withing 10% of the Scope of DCS on Consoles, there simply isnt enough Power to run the simulation.

8th: Cost and Development Time of a Console License agreement, Not to mention Marketing Resources for Physical Production of Media.

9th Searching the Forums would have shown at least a dozen threads about the same thing.

Simple Answer is: It's not Anywhere in the Plans, and doubtful it will be.

//Closed

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs