TrackIR or VR?

Lace

TrackIR or VR?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. TrackIR or VR?

• TrackIR
    • VR

Given a high-end(ish) gaming laptop (17.3" 4K, 1070 8GB, 7820HK i7, 16GB GDDR5), would you recommend going for a safe TrackIR setup, or sacrifice a bit of graphical fidelity for a marginal VR setup?

Anyone using a similarly spec'd system?

TIA

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Are you gonna play on that tiny 17" screen or connect the computer to something bigger?

VR will give you more immersion for sure, but you'll sacrifice A LOT of graphical fidelity.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Go VR, it's truly amazing and awe-inspiring. The scale is amazing and it's just like being there.

I had tIR when it first came out in 2000 and carried on with it until VR came out. It was great then, a quantum leap in flight sim realism and usability. Now, however, it's yesterday's tech and only good for a dumpster.

Go VR, it's truly amazing and awe-inspiring. The scale is amazing and it's just like being there.

I had tIR when it first came out in 2000 and carried on with it until VR came out. It was great then, a quantum leap in flight sim realism and usability. Now, however, it's yesterday's tech and only good for a dumpster.

Not sure I agree as I have an HTC Vive and was sucked into DCS World due to its immersion in VR mode, but as being a new player and love the A-10 module I had a hard time trying to learn it while in VR as reading left or right console panels was a challenge as well as the smallish lettering on the HUD. So much so that I actually decided to go and buy a TrackIR so that I could learn the A-10 and maybe at some point when I’m more familiar with its systems and what are the switch’s and dials are/do switch back to VR mode. So TrackIR is not for the dumpster imho it does have a place still in DCS World or any other game for that matter, even if you own a VR HMD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MB: B450M Pro4

RAM: 16Gb DDR4

SSD: 500GB

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB

Are you gonna play on that tiny 17" screen or connect the computer to something bigger?

VR will give you more immersion for sure, but you'll sacrifice A LOT of graphical fidelity.

For at least half of the time I’m overseas, so yes and no.

Oculus Rift is a lot more portable than a large monitor.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Not sure I agree as I have an HTC Vive and was sucked into DCS World due to its immersion in VR mode, but as being a new player and love the A-10 module I had a hard time trying to learn it while in VR as reading left or right console panels was a challenge as well as the smallish lettering on the HUD. So much so that I actually decided to go and buy a TrackIR so that I could learn the A-10 and maybe at some point when I’m more familiar with its systems and what are the switch’s and dials are/do switch back to VR mode. So TrackIR is not for the dumpster imho it does have a place still in DCS World or any other game for that matter, even if you own a VR HMD.

Lots of real aircraft have awkwardly placed switches but pilots seem to be able to manage. I never had a problem in VR with the A-10. There's even a VR zoom view you can use to get a close up. Doubles as a pair of binos for looking for targets too.

Obviously VR is going to be a bit too realistic and challenging for a lot of armchair pilots.

Edited by BigDuke6ixx

Lots of real aircraft have awkwardly placed switches but pilots seem to be able to manage. I never had a problem in VR with the A-10. There's even a VR zoom view you can use to get a close up. Doubles a a pir of bino for looking for targets too.

Obviously VR is going to be a bit too realistic and challenging for a lot of armchair pilots.

Oh I totally agree and certainly enjoy the VR aspect over the typical 2D version but trying to learn was a bigger challenge for me personally. I did employ the VR Zoom for in cockpit views of instruments but never wanted to use it for external zooming as I really want the full immersive experience. Going so far as to utilize VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro “another thing that I have to learn” but it really helps. I don’t plan on staying away from VR but I find myself switching back and forth when trying to learn a particular task so I can pause and read the guide....rinse and repeat...

Lots of real aircraft have awkwardly placed switches but pilots seem to be able to manage. I never had a problem in VR with the A-10. There's even a VR zoom view you can use to get a close up. Doubles a a pir of bino for looking for targets too.

One thing that is a bit annoying is when in VR trying to turn and select a switch with the mouse sometimes is a bigger challenge than it needs to be. Like trying to set ILS freq and stuff over in that area. if your not leaning in far enough the mouse point only moves so far and at some point you have to lean more to get the mouse to be able to reach the switch/dial etc...

Any tips you VR PROs have for that is much appriciated

For at least half of the time I’m overseas, so yes and no.

Oculus Rift is a lot more portable than a large monitor.

In this case you should try VR. It has its shortcomings, but most people enjoy it a lot.

You seem to forgot that real pilots can simply use their hands. The way you currently have to operate switches in VR using cursor and mouse/head or controllers has nothing to do with realism.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

One thing that is a bit annoying is when in VR trying to turn and select a switch with the mouse sometimes is a bigger challenge than it needs to be. Like trying to set ILS freq and stuff over in that area. if your not leaning in far enough the mouse point only moves so far and at some point you have to lean more to get the mouse to be able to reach the switch/dial etc...

Any tips you VR PROs have for that is much appriciated

I have a trackball on my knee.

In this case you should try VR. It has its shortcomings, but most people enjoy it a lot.

You seem to forgot that real pilots can simply use their hands. The way you currently have to operate switches in VR using cursor and mouse/head or controllers has nothing to do with realism.

I'm not forgetting anything, I'm just more into solving problems than sniveling about them.

I'm just more into solving problems than sniveling about them.

Sure :lol:

I'm not forgetting anything, I'm just more into solving problems than sniveling about them.

Since you won't be buying anymore computer games, because they don't have printed manuals, the point is rather moot.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It’s not sniveling. It’s called a discussion, it’s a forum for such things. If your going to be negative then why reply at all when you obviously have better things to do like print out a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you won't be buying anymore computer games, because they don't have printed manuals, the point is rather moot.

So if I offer solutions and good work arounds you won’t be interested because I’m not happy about there not being an official printed manual? You best put me on ignore then.

Get an Odyssey. Inside-out tracking so there is no satellites (more portable). Higher native resolution so you can actually read all of your gauges and HUD using less (or no) supersampling.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

What specs does the laptop have? That's the real question. The safest option is TIR as you wont need as much horsepower to run. VR on the other hand is like being there but will need a top of the line laptop to get a good mix of quality/performance ratio.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

What specs does the laptop have? That's the real question. The safest option is TIR as you wont need as much horsepower to run. VR on the other hand is like being there but will need a top of the line laptop to get a good mix of quality/performance ratio.

i7 7829HK 3.9, 16 GB GDDR5, 8GB 1070. Not the highest spec but still respectable for a laptop.

As I said, I’m not expecting to run with settings maxed but still want playability.

I started with VR then on advice of several people went to Track IR after a few days I gave away the Track IR stuff and went back to VR. I could not get use to the lack of total emersion you get with VR. Track when looking up down or around seeing my desk the walls versus seeing only the world I am flying in with VR the only advantage to Track I miss is being able to write say Marshalling instructions down for carrier work

Alienware Aurora 7 32gb Ram dual 1070 video cards i7-87000K CPU

Edited by RePhil

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

VR no question. I'm surprised you even had to ask!

Having no personal experience of either TrackIR or VR, I thought it would be prudent to ask.

From the responses here, VR seems to be the way to go, and given the price is not too different (200 vs 400 GBP) I think it will be worth a try.

VR is like pulling a stocking over your head, followed by a balaclava. I mean, I get it, I’ve tried DCS with my rift. The immersion of sitting in the cockpit is brilliant, but in a practical sense, it’s slow and bloody awful. Physical buttons are useless beyond your hotas, it’s energy sapping and eye strain inducing, and then there’s the resolution - beyond a few hundred metres the value of depth is lost, as it is in real life, and instead you are left looking at a pixelated smudge of a horizon. I’ll take my 3440x1440 gsync monitor any day of the week. However ask me again in a few years, as I think I’ll come around ;)

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Given present technology, my answer is both. So I didn't vote. The "C" in DCS stands for combat. As immersive as VR is, trying playing all of your combat flight sims at 640x480 after having played them at 1920x1080 or 1600x1200 (I have yet to have the privilege to try 4K). If I could only have one, it would have to be TrackIR since I like to do more than just take off, navigate, sight see, and land.

Having said that, some sims have minimized the problems with VR and have worked hard to make it the preferable way to fly. Aces High 3 comes to mind where VR already worked very well and now they have just added the ability to play the game with only VR hands grabbing imaginary controls.

VR is absolutely the way of the future, but it is still a luxury for people who can afford a high end cpu/gpu and don't mind suffering through low resolution graphics to get 1:1 head tracking and an amazing field of view.

If you primarily fly helos in DCS, VR is absolutely the way to go. Combat issues aside, I will trade resolution for benefits of being able to fly the helicopter much better. In fixed wing aircraft usually flying much higher/faster and not too concerned with relative motion off of boresight, VR is eye candy. In helos, it is the ability to fly in a perfect hover or land on a spot just wider than your landing skids.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Given present technology, my answer is both. So I didn't vote. The "C" in DCS stands for combat. As immersive as VR is, trying playing all of your combat flight sims at 640x480 after having played them at 1920x1080 or 1600x1200 (I have yet to have the privilege to try 4K). If I could only have one, it would have to be TrackIR since I like to do more than just take off, navigate, sight see, and land.

I can fight the A-10C without restriction in VR, so the idea that VR is unusable in VR is probably down to the individual player.

I too have no problems in VR and prefer to use my Rift exclusively. I don't miss a monitor at all.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat