TrackIR and EDTracker paired

I have always had problems with TrackIR losing tracking while looking down. I am going to attempt to mesh TrackIR (to maintain 6 degrees of freedom) and EDTracker and see how it works. I will post my findings tomorrow. Please note I am using the wireless version of EDTracker. If this works out I will upgrade my TrackIR Pro Clip to either a LukeClip, a UTC MK II, or TrackHat Clip Plus so I can be truly wireless (though now I power TrackIR from a battery hooked to my wireless headset it is a bit top heavy).

I would appreciate any opinions you may have about the TrackIR Pro Clip alternatives I have mentioned. I am leaning toward the LukeClip at this time.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Update.

I first ran EDTracker by itself assigning yaw, pitch, and roll within the DCS software. It worked very well and I saw no loss of tracking.

The first experiment (that is after the stand alone test with EDTracker) failed. It seems when you use TrackIR software it overrides joystick input even with yaw, pitch, and roll disabled in the TrackIR software. However, the X, Y, and Z axis (functions that were left in the TrackIR software) were still working.

I am going to attempt this again with FreeTrack software. This experiment will be carried out using EDTracker for yaw, pitch, and roll and using TrackIR Pro Clip for x, y, and z axis. For a camera I will be using the TrackIR 4 camera.

Apparently you can somehow make DCS think the EDTracker is TrackIR by using FreeTrack. I am hoping this will allow me to use an EDTracker/TrackIR combo. I will have to figure out how to do this. I also need to figure out if it is possible to do this through TrackIR software.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok gents so far using the newest version of OpenTrack and TrackIR is not working.

I think I may have a solution though. However, I may need a bit of help.

I have found that version 2.2 Stable of OpenTrack offers dual input (main and auxiliary tracker). However I cannot get it to recognize my TrackIR camera. If I can get over this hurdle I can test it and give you feedback. Would anyone like to help me out?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I am now going to try to use a Playstation Eye (model SLEH-00201) and a ZOMEi 25MM IR 850 GLASS Infrared X-Ray Filter 850nm.

I am going to try the duel head tracker input in an earlier version of OpenTrack using the EDTracker and using the modified webcam with a TrackClip Pro.

I am still waiting on the filter. I will post an update soon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen I got this to work.......... sort of.

I am using OpenTrack 2.2 Stable 20141112.

I have the tracking software tracking ED Tracker for Pitch, Yaw, and Roll.

I have it using a modified PlayStation Eye and Track Clip Pro to track X, Y, and Z.

It seems to work perfectly....... in the tracking software.

However when I open DCS World 2.5......... nothing happens.

I would like some help if anyone is able. I have put a lot of time and money into this and don't want to fail right at the finish line.

So again, I need help at this point.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

So nobody has any suggestions or is able to help?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you change the bindings for camera control to match your new setting?
Well I made the changes in Opentrack to track from 2 sources. I track from a PS Eye cam and an ED Tracker. It seems to work perfectly in the OpenTrack software but in game it seems only the ED Tracker works.

I have a lot of money in this (had to buy software and 2 PS Eye cameras.... don't ask :music_whistling: ) and would like to accomplish my goal.

The reason I started this is because I got tired of looking down and losing tracking. The ED Tracker totally solved that problem. It simply won't lose tracking. I have been in another room where I could not even see the monitor and it still tracked my head.

The problem is I lose x y and z. Running OpenTrack at the same time restores those functions. In the software it really is the best of both worlds and works perfectly..... in the game itself only one seems to work at a time and I don't know why.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
Just got the EdTracker Pro Wireless myself. Looking forward to see if you guys find something, as I'll be combining bindings until then...
What do you mean combining bindings?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

He means in-game. TrackIR is treated as an axis, for example.
No I mean TrackIR simply does not register at all. It only seems to pick up the ED Tracker even though OPENTRACK clearly shows both working.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OMG use latest OpenTrack in Fusion mode...

For me it works flawlessly with wired EDTracker (pitch, yaw) & PS3Eye with DelanClip (x,y,z)...

That is exactly what I am looking for. Can you send me detailed instructions on how to do it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This sounds great - is the edtracker more accurate?
In my opinion EDTracker is WAY more accurate (it virtually got rid of the "shaking" I experience when using TrackIR) and EDTracker does NOT lose tracking. My biggest issue using TrackIR was losing tracking when I look down, no more with EDTracker. I went to another room in the house and had my wife stand in the room with the monitor..... EDTracker still did not lose tracking. You can also get a wireless version of EDTracker that is super light weight.
Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In my opinion EDTracker is WAY more accurate (it virtually got rid of the "shaking" I experience when using TrackIR) and EDTracker does NOT lose tracking. My biggest issue using TrackIR was losing tracking when I look down, no more with EDTracker. I went to another room in the house and had my wife stand in the room with the monitor..... EDTracker still did not lose tracking. You can also get a wireless version of EDTracker that is super light weight.

Thanks for this. I think i will get a DIY kit and give it a try.

• 3 months later...
OMG use latest OpenTrack in Fusion mode...

For me it works flawlessly with wired EDTracker (pitch, yaw) & PS3Eye with DelanClip (x,y,z)...

Thank you for that post Aries. I found it useful.

Success!!!!!

I have managed to Frankenstein IR tracking and EDTracker together. It works REALLY well.

I used Opentrack version 2.3.9.

For input I used Fusion with Joystick Input (rotation) and PointTracker 1.1 (position)

For output I used FreeTrack 2.0 Enhanced, with the option Enable Both.

For Filter I used Accela.

For the EDTracker I am using the EDTracker Wireless Pro version.

For a Camera I am using PS3 Eye modified with an IR lens. I got mine premodified off of eBay. You need to buy the CL-EYE software.

For the clip I am using UTC MKII.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 9 months later...

Thread necromancy!

Do you still run this setup? I'm not too happy with TIR alone, too, it shifts height too much and certain angles are tricky.

So, I need opentrack, EDtracker and.. what else? Can I use the original TrackIR and combine that with EDtracker in OT?

ZQuickSilverZ

I have investigated some Trackir alternatives also (although not as thoroughly as you have done)

The system that I am considering requires a lot less pain and effort to get it to work. Here are the responses from the owner of Trackhat to my questions:

QUESTIONS:

I have the Trackir 4 pro clip and camera. Both are on their last legs. So my questions are:

1. I fly the planes in Digital Combat Simulator. I assume your equipment is compatible with DCS. Correct?

2. As I understand your website, your wireless clip is compatible with my Trackir camera. Correct?

3. Will the Trackir software work with YOUR clip and MY Trackir camera or do I have to use opentrack?

4. When my Trackir camera goes and I switch to your camera, will I then have to use opentrack?

RESPONSES:

1. Yes, our software works very well in DCS world.

2. Yes, the Clip Plus is compatible with the TrackIR sensor.

3. You will need to continue using TrackIR software with their camera.

4. Once you have one of our cameras, you can switch to our software.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

• 1 month later...
ZQuickSilverZ

I have investigated some Trackir alternatives also (although not as thoroughly as you have done)

The system that I am considering requires a lot less pain and effort to get it to work. Here are the responses from the owner of Trackhat to my questions:

QUESTIONS:

I have the Trackir 4 pro clip and camera. Both are on their last legs. So my questions are:

1. I fly the planes in Digital Combat Simulator. I assume your equipment is compatible with DCS. Correct?

2. As I understand your website, your wireless clip is compatible with my Trackir camera. Correct?

3. Will the Trackir software work with YOUR clip and MY Trackir camera or do I have to use opentrack?

4. When my Trackir camera goes and I switch to your camera, will I then have to use opentrack?

RESPONSES:

1. Yes, our software works very well in DCS world.

2. Yes, the Clip Plus is compatible with the TrackIR sensor.

3. You will need to continue using TrackIR software with their camera.

4. Once you have one of our cameras, you can switch to our software.

Sobe, how did you get on? Was Trackhat successful for you?

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

Snowy55

My Trackir started to work fine so I held off buying the Trackhat. When I do need a replacement, I will be getting the Trackhat as I see nothing on the market that is better.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .